Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 10 to 18 of 43

Thread: Republicans do have solutions

  1. #10

    Default Re: Republicans do have solutions

    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    We know that more competition creates lower prices because to be competetive companies have to be within a price range of their competitor and consumers will go fo rth ebest deal.
    Competition drives profits down, competition in industies with slim profit margins won't reduce the prices people pay that much because very little of what get's paid is profit. Say you open up a health insurance company, you're really smart and you get everything set up so that for every $100 you pay out in claims you bring in $101 in premiums. I then open up another insurance co to compete with you, I figure out a system where I bring in $100.50 for every $100 I pay out, you go back to the drawing board and pretty soon you're brining in $100.25 in premiums for every $100 you pay out. There's lots of competition, it's forcing both companies to be more efficient, but the consumer isn't really saving any money.


    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    I dont see the loop holes for the upper class to avoid taxation. Everyone has got to pay taxes on money earned. If this loophole did exist it would be very simple to fix it because of how simple the tax code was. The tax plan makes perfect sense to me, make the code simple and to the point and eliminate loopholes, everyone pays IMO a fair amount.
    The higher ups in most companies will start negotiating alternative compensation packages, they'll be paid in stock options, or get company cars, houses, etc which they wouldn't pay taxes on. The only way to close these loopholes is to start taxing that stuff, which pretty much defeats the purpose of this guys proposal.
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

  2. #11

    Default Re: Republicans do have solutions

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    Is this tax plan "revenue nuetral"?
    Don't bother looking for that info as it doesn't exist. It's just more simpleton thinking like tort reform will help insure 45 million more Americans.

    It's also naive and ludicrous to think that competing over state lines will bring costs down.

    I tell you this though: If it was Obama's idea from the start, the repubs would be screaming that it would be unfair to insurance companies and trial lawyers.

  3. #12
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,934

    Default Re: Republicans do have solutions

    Quote Originally Posted by washed up wrestler View Post
    Don't bother looking for that info as it doesn't exist. It's just more simpleton thinking like tort reform will help insure 45 million more Americans.

    It's also naive and ludicrous to think that competing over state lines will bring costs down.

    I tell you this though: If it was Obama's idea from the start, the repubs would be screaming that it would be unfair to insurance companies and trial lawyers.
    So what you are saying is competition works only if it is the government giving the competition?

    Open up interstate insurance purchasing and lets see what happens, what is the worst that could happen, prices stay the same because they wont go up. But by all means dont do anything that the republicans present.

    I believe tort reform would reduce the cost I dont know if it would allow for coverage of that many more people. But once again just shoot down reasonable solutions as naive and then claim the republicans have no ideas.

    As far as the taxes are concerned I would say it would increase tax revenues because everyone has got to pay the taxes, everyone.

    Some of the loopholes brought up earlier are easy to fix, tax fringe benefits such as cars (which they already are but most companies eat the cost. Tax deferred comp and stock options at the same tax rate as they would be taxed otherwise. The point is to leave no exemptions .

  4. #13

    Default Re: Republicans do have solutions

    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    I believe tort reform would reduce the cost I dont know if it would allow for coverage of that many more people. But once again just shoot down reasonable solutions as naive and then claim the republicans have no ideas.
    I believe Texas passed some pretty extensive tort reform a few years ago and costs to patients has continued to go up.

    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    Some of the loopholes brought up earlier are easy to fix, tax fringe benefits such as cars (which they already are but most companies eat the cost. Tax deferred comp and stock options at the same tax rate as they would be taxed otherwise. The point is to leave no exemptions .
    So the plan is to get ride of frivolous taxes and then close the resulting loopholes by adding frivolous taxes?
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

  5. #14
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,934

    Default Re: Republicans do have solutions

    Quote Originally Posted by FloggingSully View Post
    I believe Texas passed some pretty extensive tort reform a few years ago and costs to patients has continued to go up.


    So the plan is to get ride of frivolous taxes and then close the resulting loopholes by adding frivolous taxes?
    Define frivolous taxes?

  6. #15

    Default Re: Republicans do have solutions

    What did you mean by frivolous taxes in the first post?
    Seems this guys plan is to not tax money made from stocks (capital gains), I point out that rich guys will start getting compensated in stocks, and you say that we'll just tax those stocks. Seems to me like we're back where we started.
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

  7. #16
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,934

    Default Re: Republicans do have solutions

    Quote Originally Posted by FloggingSully View Post
    What did you mean by frivolous taxes in the first post?
    Seems this guys plan is to not tax money made from stocks (capital gains), I point out that rich guys will start getting compensated in stocks, and you say that we'll just tax those stocks. Seems to me like we're back where we started.
    Here is the link to his tax plan. It is in depth and long but he explains everything well and the different areas are headlined and easy to spot.

    http://www.roadmap.republicans.budge...deraltaxreform

    He does say eliminate capitol gains and after thinking about it, those people you speak of are going to have to earn a salary. That or they just cash in their stock options as soon as they got them in order to survive. I also dont think they are going to be living in a hut with a tiny salary just getting by. So I really dont think it is all that big of a problem, they will be taxed at 25% of a million a year or 500k a year.

  8. #17
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,934

    Default Re: Republicans do have solutions

    I would say raise the 25% rate to 150,000 a year for joint filers and 75000 a year for single

  9. #18

    Default Re: Republicans do have solutions

    As I understand stock options, the company would give you the option to buy X shares for $Y each. Y may be way below the current value of the stock. So if I'm a CEO of a company who's shares are selling for $100 I might decide that I'm going to pay myself some salary, say 100K/year and give myself the option to purchase up to 10,000 shares for $1. I shell out $10,000 to buy those shares and sell them the same day for a profit of $990,000 (assuming Sully can do math), I've now made just over $1 million (between salary and stock options) but I'm paying 25K in taxes since $990,000 of my compensation is capital gains (unless I'm wrong about stock options being capital gains).

    If there is a way to get around paying taxes, rich people will find it.
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •