Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 9 of 75

Thread: Gays in the Military

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Parker, Az
    Posts
    3,388

    Default Gays in the Military

    WASHINGTON ? Defense Secretary Robert Gates is promising to try to spare more gay troops from being dismissed from the military while the Pentagon takes a year to study revising its "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

    An announcement of the study, expected Tuesday before the Senate Armed Services Committee, marks a measured step toward President Barack Obama's goal of eliminating the military's policy against gays, which is based on a 1993 law.

    Obama has called on Congress to repeal the law, but Democrats say they want more guidance on how to allow openly gay service members to serve without causing a major upheaval


    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100202/ap_ ... itary_gays
    I am 49, bald, ugly, and don't own a single cool thing. Kids like me though.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,934

    Default Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by sgallan View Post
    WASHINGTON ? Defense Secretary Robert Gates is promising to try to spare more gay troops from being dismissed from the military while the Pentagon takes a year to study revising its "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

    An announcement of the study, expected Tuesday before the Senate Armed Services Committee, marks a measured step toward President Barack Obama's goal of eliminating the military's policy against gays, which is based on a 1993 law.

    Obama has called on Congress to repeal the law, but Democrats say they want more guidance on how to allow openly gay service members to serve without causing a major upheaval


    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100202/ap_ ... itary_gays
    The biggest flaw in dont ask dont tell IMO was that people would fake being gay to get out. I will tell you it takes more than just saying you are gay to get out.

  3. #3
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Parker, Az
    Posts
    3,388

    Default Re: Gays in the Military

    The military lost too many talented people, especially in linguistics when they are badly needed, so this decision is more pragmatic than anything else. That and society is changing and a lot of the stereotypes are dying out with the younger generation entering the military now not having ingrained issues.
    I am 49, bald, ugly, and don't own a single cool thing. Kids like me though.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    The biggest flaw in dont ask dont tell IMO was that people would fake being gay to get out. I will tell you it takes more than just saying you are gay to get out.
    I'm not saying that faking being gay is out of the question. You never know what people are going to do these days. But what would you have to do to prove that you were gay? And would someone be willing to do it? Could you live with yourself if people back home found out? Would it be honorable or dishonorable discharge? And if the military doesn't ask, do they have to listen if you tell?

    I kind of like the don't ask don't tell policy because I don't think what you do behind closed doors is anyone's business. If you're gay, keep it to yourself. If you aren't keep that to yourself, too. You're in the military to do a job, not promote any sexual preference you might have.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    If you're gay, keep it to yourself. If you aren't keep that to yourself, too. You're in the military to do a job, not promote any sexual preference you might have.
    So, don't ask don't tell should be applied to everyone in the military? not just gays? Can you imagine people being discharged for carrying a picture of their wife with them?
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by FloggingSully View Post
    So, don't ask don't tell should be applied to everyone in the military? not just gays? Can you imagine people being discharged for carrying a picture of their wife with them?
    Maybe I said that wrong. What I meant was that no one should tell what sexual preference they are. If no one asks and no one tells, then no one should get discharged. I'm not sure why people asked or told in the first place. Could you imagine going to a job interview and out of no where telling the interviewer that you preffered big-breasted blondes? I doubt he would hire you because that statement would be inappropriate. I also doubt he would ask because that would be inappropriate, too. So why is it appropriate to ask or tell in the military?

  7. #7

    Default Re: Gays in the Military

    Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    So why is it appropriate to ask or tell in the military?
    Because asking or telling isn't as simple as "Do you like dudes or chicks?" and "I like chicks". And when people are away from home for long periods of time they talk about home.

    When a bunch of soldiers get deployed and one brings a picture of his girlfriend and shows it to the people he lives with, he's pretty much telling them that he's strait. Should be be kicked out for this? What if he brought a picture of his boyfriend and showed it to the people he lives with?
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Gays in the Military

    All I know about gays in the military is this.....I am not going to say "no, you can't defend my freedom and protect me because you are gay, please find a straight guy to defend and protect me please".

    I was not in the Military (although tried, knees and shoulders kept me out) so I don't really know a solidiers opinion on the issue but would be interested to hear some comments from them on this issue, both for and against.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Gays in the Military

    Sully, first of all, you keep harping back on this picture of your wife. No one is getting kicked out of the military because of a picture! You know better than that so don't try and dumb this down.

    Secondly, I did find the same claims that you did about gays getting discharged. The difference between that and finding out how many people have died in Iraq are that we hear about Iraq every day in the news. I wouldn't have to google it, just simply listen to the evening news. That is because deaths in Iraq matter and every news outlet reports it. And, upon reading several claims from people who were discharged for being gay, not once did I read how anyone found out. Could that be because they came out and said it? I don't know, but if they did then they were simply trying to get out because they knew this would do it. They then want to sue.

    This leads to the next, and most obvious point, if they are allowed to be openly gay and a drill sargent yells at them, don't you think they will sue saying that it is only because they are gay? Of course they will. That will lead to policy where drill sargents and other superiors have to tip-toe around every single soldier so they don't get sued. Here's a news flash for you- the Taliban doesn't care! They will treat a gay man just like anyone else. We don't need a "kinder-gentler" military. We need men who will go get the job done. I don't care if they are gay or straight and neither do our enemies, so why do people, who will never join the military in the first place, care? Political correctness is fine when it doesn't jeoprodize national security, but there is a limit to everything.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •