Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 109 to 117 of 181

Thread: Gay marriage? Not in Maine.

  1. #109

    Default Re: Gay marriage? Not in Maine.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    No, bigamy is illegal for everyone. There is no discrimination involved. It's not a case of discriminating against married people, it just doesn't allow them to get married again.
    Of course spider, but as I said the logic of it will be lost on Tight_a$$

  2. #110

    Default Re: Gay marriage? Not in Maine.

    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    The same can be said for same sex marriage. It is illegal for anyone to enter into a same sex marriage. IT is not illegal however for those persons to marry.

    Some people do practice religions that call for bigamist relationships, they are being discriminated against because of their religious beliefs, if gay marriage is passed I dont see how you stop these religious folks from marrying.
    Wrong Ugly, the equivalent here would be to say marraige to the person you love is denied to all, it is not illegal for those who happen to fall in love with a person of an opposite gender to get married. As has already been said, the justification for denying marraige for a second time is that they are already married.

    Of course this is a ridiculous argument made by the right wing whackos all the time. They made the same argument when interracial marraiges were allowed. Of course it never came true but the right wingers are stupid enough to continue to make the same failed argument.

  3. #111

    Default Re: Gay marriage? Not in Maine.

    Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    I don't think that the Constitution says anything about marriage. That means that it is up to the states to decide. Maine voters have decided. If gay people in Maine don't like it, they can move. It is legal in other states and nothing is stopping them from going there. Except for the fact that they DO want special privilages. By that I mean that they don't like the outcome of the vote and want to overturn it illegally. In Ohio it is illegal to smoke in any public facility, whether it is a private club or not. I am not a smoker, but I don't like the law because it sends a lot of people to Kentucky to spend their money and has ruined many local businesses (bars and bowling alleys). But since it was voted on, there is nothing anyone can do about it except open your business in KY or Indiana. Gays are in the same position and need to realize that the majority vote rules and these things are not protected in the US Constitution.
    Did we allow the majority to vote on whether interracial marraige should be allowed. I don't think so, because the constitution is written to prevent the tyranny of the majority. But right winger whackos want the majority to be able to impliment tyranny in this case. Not surprising because they could really care less about individual rights, they care just about money.

  4. #112

    Default Re: Gay marriage? Not in Maine.

    I really don't know whether there were votes for interracial marriage. Something tells me that somewhere in the south there might have been, but I don't know. But the Constitution was written to prevent tyranny of the government, not the majority. It says that anything not written in it is left to the states. Whether you agree or not is not the issue. It was left to Maine voters and they voted it down, the same with the smokers. And, by the way, you keep referring to racial issues and saying right wing whacos are preventing something from some race. Not sure what you mean, but the president who freed the slaves was a right wing whacko, not a democrat.

  5. #113
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,934

    Default Re: Gay marriage? Not in Maine.

    Quote Originally Posted by coachsparky View Post
    Did we allow the majority to vote on whether interracial marraige should be allowed. I don't think so, because the constitution is written to prevent the tyranny of the majority. But right winger whackos want the majority to be able to impliment tyranny in this case. Not surprising because they could really care less about individual rights, they care just about money.
    Yes we are so afraid of the majority that we now seem to bow to the tyranny of the minority.

    The constitution was not written to prevent a majority rule, if that were the case we would never vote on anything and we would have longed for a monarchy where we are ruled by a minority. I suggest you read the federalist and the constitution.

    Note that I am not saying that the constitution does not prevent the majority from taking rights away from the minority, it does, the Bill of Rights. I am saying that was not the purpose of the constitution.

  6. #114

    Default Re: Gay marriage? Not in Maine.

    Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    I really don't know whether there were votes for interracial marriage. Something tells me that somewhere in the south there might have been, but I don't know. But the Constitution was written to prevent tyranny of the government, not the majority. It says that anything not written in it is left to the states. Whether you agree or not is not the issue. It was left to Maine voters and they voted it down, the same with the smokers. And, by the way, you keep referring to racial issues and saying right wing whacos are preventing something from some race. Not sure what you mean, but the president who freed the slaves was a right wing whacko, not a democrat.

    No not quite right, the republican wing was the left wing at that time. There are ebbs and tides in politics quinn. Just because the republicans happen to be the right wing now, does not mean the were then. Then the republican were the liberal left commies.

  7. #115

    Default Re: Gay marriage? Not in Maine.

    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    Yes we are so afraid of the majority that we now seem to bow to the tyranny of the minority.

    The constitution was not written to prevent a majority rule, if that were the case we would never vote on anything and we would have longed for a monarchy where we are ruled by a minority. I suggest you read the federalist and the constitution.

    Note that I am not saying that the constitution does not prevent the majority from taking rights away from the minority, it does, the Bill of Rights. I am saying that was not the purpose of the constitution.
    It (prevention of the tyranny of the majority) actually was part of the purpose of the democratic republic system of government with checks and balances that our fore fathers set up.

  8. #116
    Olympic Champ RYou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    8,376

    Default Re: Gay marriage? Not in Maine.

    Bigamists are not being discriminated against because of their religious beliefs. They are being treated differently than other people because of their marital status (which the government can do legally)......

    Discrimination is permissible where a law states directly or infers it is permissible. Existing laws, except for those states that have altered the existing law, are in fact discriminatory because they are allowed to remain on the books.

    BTW - as predicted the NJ Senate shot down the bill 20-12. Dead issue here, for now.
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

  9. #117

    Default Re: Gay marriage? Not in Maine.

    Quote Originally Posted by RYou View Post
    Discrimination is permissible where a law states directly or infers it is permissible.
    So, if a law states directly that white people and black people can't get married, it would be permissable?
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •