Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast
Results 100 to 108 of 181

Thread: Gay marriage? Not in Maine.

  1. #100
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: Gay marriage? Not in Maine.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tight-Waist View Post
    And under that criteria then we must allow bigamy too.
    No, bigamy is illegal for everyone. There is no discrimination involved. It's not a case of discriminating against married people, it just doesn't allow them to get married again.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

  2. #101
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,935

    Default Re: Gay marriage? Not in Maine.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    No, bigamy is illegal for everyone. There is no discrimination involved. It's not a case of discriminating against married people, it just doesn't allow them to get married again.
    The same can be said for same sex marriage. It is illegal for anyone to enter into a same sex marriage. IT is not illegal however for those persons to marry.

    Some people do practice religions that call for bigamist relationships, they are being discriminated against because of their religious beliefs, if gay marriage is passed I dont see how you stop these religious folks from marrying.

  3. #102

    Default Re: Gay marriage? Not in Maine.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tight-Waist View Post
    Once you say... consenting adults shall not be denied marriage licenses based on sexual preference, I GUARANTEE you, bigamists will sue the courts based on the same equal protection clause that homosexuals now now argue they are being denied.
    also, I believe this is what the courts have rules in Massachusetts and Iowa (and maybe 1 or 2 other states) and bigamy is still illegal there.
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

  4. #103
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: Gay marriage? Not in Maine.

    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    The same can be said for same sex marriage. It is illegal for anyone to enter into a same sex marriage. IT is not illegal however for those persons to marry.
    Not the same at all. Prohibiting same sex marriage denies homosexuals the right to marry the people they are naturally attracted to. Saying a homosexual can still marry is like telling you if you want to get married, you have to marry a man.

    This, of course is predicated on the assumption that homosexuality is a conditon, not a choice, which I believe and you don't.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

  5. #104

    Default Re: Gay marriage? Not in Maine.

    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    Some people do practice religions that call for bigamist relationships, they are being discriminated against because of their religious beliefs, if gay marriage is passed I dont see how you stop these religious folks from marrying.
    Bigamists are not being discriminated against because of their religious beliefs. They are being treated differently than other people because of their marital status (which the government can do legally) this differential treatment is preventing them from practicing their religious beliefs. If a bigamist wanted to get another wife but was told he couldn't because he is a bigamist-ian (or whatever religion is he) but if he were Catholic he'd be able to, then he's being discriminated against because of his religion.

    If you don't see how we can have gay marriage and not bigamy, look at Massachusetts and Iowa to get an idea.
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

  6. #105

    Default Re: Gay marriage? Not in Maine.

    I don't think that the Constitution says anything about marriage. That means that it is up to the states to decide. Maine voters have decided. If gay people in Maine don't like it, they can move. It is legal in other states and nothing is stopping them from going there. Except for the fact that they DO want special privilages. By that I mean that they don't like the outcome of the vote and want to overturn it illegally. In Ohio it is illegal to smoke in any public facility, whether it is a private club or not. I am not a smoker, but I don't like the law because it sends a lot of people to Kentucky to spend their money and has ruined many local businesses (bars and bowling alleys). But since it was voted on, there is nothing anyone can do about it except open your business in KY or Indiana. Gays are in the same position and need to realize that the majority vote rules and these things are not protected in the US Constitution.

  7. #106
    Olympic Champ kr1963's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida, United States
    Posts
    7,028

    Default Re: Gay marriage? Not in Maine.

    Quote Originally Posted by FloggingSully View Post
    also, I believe this is what the courts have rules in Massachusetts and Iowa (and maybe 1 or 2 other states) and bigamy is still illegal there.

    NOW
    there's something we can add to the arguement...

    Gay Bigamists!

    Oh wait...or is that just gay porn?

  8. #107

    Default Re: Gay marriage? Not in Maine.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tight-Waist View Post
    Well if it can be denied on that basis than likewise it can be denied on gender.

    Once you say... consenting adults shall not be denied marriage licenses based on sexual preference, I GUARANTEE you, bigamists will sue the courts based on the same equal protection clause that homosexuals now now argue they are being denied.
    It is not an argument, only idiots deny they are being denied it. And there are not all that many idiots.

  9. #108

    Default Re: Gay marriage? Not in Maine.

    Quote Originally Posted by FloggingSully View Post
    As I understand the equal protection clause (and if I'm wrong, someone please correct me), a person can't be discriminated against based on their race, religion or gender. If two men walk into a courthouse and say they want to get married they will currently be denied because they are the wrong gender, they're being discriminated against because of their gender. If a bigamist walks into the same courthouse and wants to get married he'll be denied because of his marital status, not because of his religion or because of his race or his gender.

    Also, did bigamists sue the courts based on the equal protection clause when the courts ruled that people of different races could marry each other? if so, how'd it work out?
    Flog, your clear and indisputable logic will be lost on the like of Tight_a$$, he is incapable of using reason and logic.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •