Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 9 of 20

Thread: Obama wants to spend more

  1. #1
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,935

    Default Obama wants to spend more

    http://www.freep.com/article/2009101...250-to-seniors

    Because there will not be a cost of living increase to social security recipients this years Obama wants the government to write 50million people a check for 250.00 dollars. Is there no end to what he will think of to spend money on. Where is this money coming from when we are running a deficit? I dont suppose he will claim that this will be deficit neutral like the health care bill. So just forget the rules and regulations that give increases to the recipients of Social Security, if it doesn't happen Obama will just write a check.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Obama wants to spend more

    I'll bet they are building a mansion for him in China, seems like he's selling off enough of America to deserve one.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Obama wants to spend more

    Serious question from a person without much ecomonic knowledge: what are the likely long term effects for the USA (or any country, really) of building up a huge debt?

  4. #4
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,935

    Default Re: Obama wants to spend more

    One major concern is the rise of inflation and interest rates. Another will be the more debt we accumulate and our economy does not grow the less likely we are to pay that debt back and other countries will quit buying our debt.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Obama wants to spend more

    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    http://www.freep.com/article/2009101...250-to-seniors

    Because there will not be a cost of living increase to social security recipients this years Obama wants the government to write 50million people a check for 250.00 dollars. Is there no end to what he will think of to spend money on. Where is this money coming from when we are running a deficit? I dont suppose he will claim that this will be deficit neutral like the health care bill. So just forget the rules and regulations that give increases to the recipients of Social Security, if it doesn't happen Obama will just write a check.
    Don't recall hearing you complain about that tax rebate check from Bush. He was spending left and right on two wars and instead of raising taxes to cover his war costs, he sent it back to us. Now we are paying the price in terms of the deficit. Doesn't seem fair to blame it all on Obama.
    "All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind." -- Abraham Lincoln

  6. #6
    Super Moderator Zapp Brannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    8,269

    Default Re: Obama wants to spend more

    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieJ2 View Post
    Don't recall hearing you complain about that tax rebate check from Bush. He was spending left and right on two wars and instead of raising taxes to cover his war costs, he sent it back to us. Now we are paying the price in terms of the deficit. Doesn't seem fair to blame it all on Obama.
    But I DO recall everyone on the left complaining about Bush's rebate...but nobody criticizing Obama now. It works both ways. Both sides are hypocrites. For what it's worth, I criticized it then and now, but it also didn't stop me from spending mine, so I guess I'm just as bad.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

    One, two, Evans is coming for you...

  7. #7

    Default Re: Obama wants to spend more

    Yeah, I spent mine too. I needed it. I'm not going to criticize Obama for spending money on domestic stuff, but I sure wish he could find a way to stop spending on Afghanistan and Iraq. It's a black hole.
    "All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind." -- Abraham Lincoln

  8. #8

    Default Re: Obama wants to spend more

    Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    But I DO recall everyone on the left complaining about Bush's rebate...but nobody criticizing Obama now. It works both ways. Both sides are hypocrites. For what it's worth, I criticized it then and now, but it also didn't stop me from spending mine, so I guess I'm just as bad.
    As long as people are interested in "our side" and "the other side" instead of just effective and reasonable governance, such hypocrisy is bound to occur. I am sure we are all guilty of it from time to time.

  9. #9
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,935

    Default Re: Obama wants to spend more

    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieJ2 View Post
    Don't recall hearing you complain about that tax rebate check from Bush. He was spending left and right on two wars and instead of raising taxes to cover his war costs, he sent it back to us. Now we are paying the price in terms of the deficit. Doesn't seem fair to blame it all on Obama.

    I was absolutely against Bush's spending policies and have said so many, many times. I was not for the Iraq war but we have got to spend the money to protect our troops over their as long as they stay over seas.

    I think that we will see as we have before that if Obama raises taxes the government will receive less tax income.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •