Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 19 to 27 of 29

Thread: Globally Competitive?

  1. #19
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,966

    Default Re: Globally Competitive?

    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    "It appears that you would favor a "constitutional revisionist" where it suits your sense of justice (education isright)"


    I am not a constitutional revisionist in any sense. If a better education was in violation in some way of what the constitution said then I would be against it. I would want to see the constitution amended. But like I said I think education is part and parcel to equality, which is an inalienable right.

    I agree it belongs with the states. We saw in DC that a voucher system can work. It does not overhaul the current system it just gives parents a chance to get their kids to a school that is doing good work and out of the ones that are not. I also agree more money is not the solution.

    One problem is and I always say it, the union. We cant have a longer school day or longer school year because they have a contract that gives them summer vacation. From what I have seen they are not willing to give that up.

    I think that we can all agree that no matter what everything starts at home. Whether that is health or education, social behavior ect. Until people start taking an interest in the way their kids are educated there will not be a change. I understand that some are struggling just to have food to eat or a place to sleep. In that case we need to see a step up in mentors to bridge a gap.
    Not going win this argument with you so I will let it go, but it seems that you are open to wider interpretation of the what rights we have when it fits your needs.

    I think longer school year or longer days are not solutions to improving our education. My public school education was excellent with the exisitng school days and with summer education.

  2. #20

    Default Re: Globally Competitive?

    One of the biggest fallacies that the conservatives throw out all the time is that we have the best health care system in the world. That is absolute BS.

    I feel that most if not all conservatives find a way to blame the uninsured for being uninsured. Obama and the Dems will definitely win this battle. This is why the teabaggers are once again apoplectic.

    I think the average blood pressure of the right wing hate machine is around 180 over 120. Maybe the health care reform will help them get the mental health treatment that they so obviously need.

  3. #21
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,934

    Default Re: Globally Competitive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Black-n-Red View Post
    I'm calling BS right there. Only a conservative would try to lay all the problems of one profession on the dreaded "union". Damn Bolsheviks, anyways.

    In case you've never thought this through, there are plenty of people who don't want to change the school year above and beyond the teacher's union.

    Like parents of school age kids.

    Like any industry that depends on seasonal help from teen-agers i.e. landscaping, tourism, agriculture.
    Only you would say I was trying to lay "ALL" of the problems on the union. I said one of, now if that was the only problem then yes I would be laying it "ALL" on the union.

    No industry has got to depend on student workers. We have a 10% unemployment rate, I am sure there is someone to fill those jobs and not to mention a whole host of illegal immigrants.

    While some parents would not want the change but in houses where both parents work I dont think they would complain. Consider that the students would get smaller breaks through out the year.

    ODH

    The longer school year helps with retention, look at Japan they have a long school day and year, they seem to be doing pretty well.

  4. #22

    Default Re: Globally Competitive?

    Only you would say I was trying to lay "ALL" of the problems on the union. I said one of, now if that was the only problem then yes I would be laying it "ALL" on the union.
    I will retract my original statement regarding your post. You did not say "All the blame was the union's fault". I stand corrected.

    However, when you say the ONE reason a longer school year won't take place is becasue of the union, you are implying that the BIGGEST reason is the teacher's union. Correct?

    I'm still gonna claim BS on that.

    Besides, I would think conservatives would love the way school are set up.

    The way they are now, you can let all the schleps who don't value their education waste their summers away fishing, swimming, skateboarding, going on vacation, etc. but if you want to give your kid that head start on his secondary education, you can hire that private tutor for 10 weeks a summer and that will give your child a leg up on all the competition.

    Your kids will be prime material for Harvard.

    A true conservative ought to love this built-in advantage.
    Your ignorance is painful to witness.....

  5. #23
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,934

    Default Re: Globally Competitive?

    Quote Originally Posted by Black-n-Red View Post
    I will retract my original statement regarding your post. You did not say "All the blame was the union's fault". I stand corrected.

    However, when you say the ONE reason a longer school year won't take place is because of the union, you are implying that the BIGGEST reason is the teacher's union. Correct?

    I'm still gonna claim BS on that.

    Besides, I would think conservatives would love the way school are set up.

    The way they are now, you can let all the schleps who don't value their education waste their summers away fishing, swimming, skateboarding, going on vacation, etc. but if you want to give your kid that head start on his secondary education, you can hire that private tutor for 10 weeks a summer and that will give your child a leg up on all the competition.

    Your kids will be prime material for Harvard.

    A true conservative ought to love this built-in advantage.
    I do think that the teachers union would be the biggest opponent of a longer school year. I dont blame them, because who would not want to get 3 months paid vacation and all holidays. The teachers union in my estimation is a large part of but not the biggest problem facing our educational system. The biggest problem is the hands off approach parents take to their kids education. You will see more parents at the wrestling match or football game than you will ever see at a PTA meeting or a city council meeting. That is by far the biggest problem. If we can figure a way to get parents more involved we might not have to do anything to the current system.

  6. #24
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,966

    Default Re: Globally Competitive?

    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    ...

    ODH

    The longer school year helps with retention, look at Japan they have a long school day and year, they seem to be doing pretty well.

    Japan has a hugely different system than us and if your only measure is test taking then you can say they are doing pretty well. By a lot of other measures the US is doing better, so I don't think it is wise to model our educational system on country that has vast differences.

  7. #25
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,934

    Default Re: Globally Competitive?

    If not tests then what way do we compare ourselves to other countries.

  8. #26
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,966

    Default Re: Globally Competitive?

    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    If not tests then what way do we compare ourselves to other countries.
    There are others ways to measure and I am not an expert so I can't list any. But if you look at Japan's econmy is never grew like ours did and has been suffering a deeper recession. That fact the Japanese make great cars does not mean they have a superior system to us.

  9. #27

    Default Re: Globally Competitive?

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    There are others ways to measure and I am not an expert so I can't list any. But if you look at Japan's econmy is never grew like ours did and has been suffering a deeper recession. That fact the Japanese make great cars does not mean they have a superior system to us.
    Japan only tests the best students, where our results are from a much wider section of the population.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •