Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 9 of 10

Thread: Cops

  1. #1

    Default Cops

    1. They should be paid no less than $100,000 per year.

    2. They should be given every available resource to ensure their safety and to enforce the law safely.

    3. They should be very closely monitored and supervised by a qualified superior as well as a civilian review board.

    4. They should be held to the highest levels of competency and integrity. They should be suspended or fired at the slightest impropriety.


    (Different topic, but I'd say the same basic concept goes for teachers as well.)

  2. #2

    Default Re: Cops

    Check, check, check, and check.

    (And "check" here as well.)
    Your ignorance is painful to witness.....

  3. #3
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,968

    Default Re: Cops

    $100k a year seems like a whole lot to me, considering they typically have really good benefits. Are you proposing every no matter what gets paid $100K? Or is that the starting salary? Are most people willing to pay extra iin taxes to support this?
    I think that they should be paid a wage that allows them to afford to live in the community they police.

    #2 and #3 sem to already happen to a certain extent.

    I disagree with #4. Punishment should fit the transgressions not "suspended or fired at the slightest impropriety"

  4. #4

    Default Re: Cops

    I agree GnP while keeping mind that policemen (and teachers) are fallible human beings that are bound to screw up sometimes, even with best intentions, so common sense needs to be applied to discipline.

  5. #5
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: Cops

    I have long felt that teachers and police officers should be very highly compensated and be held to very high standards. Unfortunately, most municipal budgets don't allow for this, so people get what they're willing to pay for. Some teachers and police officers do outstanding work and are severely underpaid, and some do the minimum to get by and don't deserve what they do receive.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,935

    Default Re: Cops

    Keep in mind that some teachers, cops, firefighter etc make very good wages and benefits and have great, great ,great retirement packages. A municipality could not afford to pay upwards of 85 percent the highest grossing wage for all of these employees for the rest of their lives plus the health benefits. I think they should better compensated, especially back east where it seems they are getting screwed, especially police and fire but the cities cant afford that.

    Secondly dont forget that these people are unionized so firing them is not easy, it is damn near impossible. Also I dont think the union would be happy with 100k forever, they would demand more after so long.

  7. #7
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Parker, Az
    Posts
    3,388

    Default Re: Cops

    Quote Originally Posted by Ground&Pound View Post
    1. They should be paid no less than $100,000 per year.

    2. They should be given every available resource to ensure their safety and to enforce the law safely.

    3. They should be very closely monitored and supervised by a qualified superior as well as a civilian review board.

    4. They should be held to the highest levels of competency and integrity. They should be suspended or fired at the slightest impropriety.


    (Different topic, but I'd say the same basic concept goes for teachers as well.)
    I entirely agree on all counts.
    I am 49, bald, ugly, and don't own a single cool thing. Kids like me though.

  8. #8
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: Cops

    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post

    Secondly dont forget that these people are unionized so firing them is not easy, it is damn near impossible.
    I have first hand knowledge of this and completely agree, but it's a whole other topic. It is shameful how some teachers' unions will defend gross incompetence
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

  9. #9
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,935

    Default Re: Cops

    Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    I have first hand knowledge of this and completely agree, but it's a whole other topic. It is shameful how some teachers' unions will defend gross incompetence

    I agree Spider but he said they should be fired for the slightest impropriety, it just is not possible.

    Everyone can say they agree completely, and I do as well. The fact is it can never happen, we cant afford to pay them that.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •