Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 9 of 47
Discuss William Happer on Global Warming at the Politics & Religion within the Wrestling Talk Forums; http://scienceandpublicpolicy.org/re...testimony.html Here is his testimony in front of the Senate Energy Committee. He seems to ...
  1. #1
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,935

    Default William Happer on Global Warming

    http://scienceandpublicpolicy.org/re...testimony.html

    Here is his testimony in front of the Senate Energy Committee. He seems to be a legit scientist that can not simply be dismissed as a fringe loon. If you like read and reply. I agree with what he says and this proves that there are actual scientist that disagree with man made climate change.

    I also read that green house gases make up 3%of the atmosphere and that 2% of that is CO2 and that 2% of that is man made. It is hard to imagine that such a minute amount of the atmosphere would have this much effect on our climate.

  2. #2
    ODH
    ODH is offline
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,968

    Default Re: William Happer on Global Warming

    He does appear to be a legitimate scientist.
    How do you know who to believe?
    It appears you chose to believe the ones who agree with what you want to believe.
    I can't believe most people can look at the scientific arguments and make an informed judgement. I have an engineering degree from MIT and I can't judge which position is more scientifically correct. But i do know that the vast majority of climatologists believe the earth is warming and it is due to man made influences, so even though I would like to believe otherwise, it only makes sense to go along with the consensus of the scinetific community.

    BTW, the argument of percentages of CO2 in the atmosphere is not convincing to me. There are many instances in which a small percentage change in a physical makeup can make a huge difference. We can't extrapolate our perception on the human scale to the earth's atmopshere.
    Last edited by ODH; 06-25-2009 at 08:50 PM.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,935

    Default Re: William Happer on Global Warming

    I am just pointing out that there are legit scientist out there that believe the contrary and that have all the data available to them. Some on this board seem to think that these people dont exist, this guy was in charge of all the DOE work on climate change.

  4. #4
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: William Happer on Global Warming

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    But i do know that the vast majority of climatologists believe the earth is warming and it is due to man made influences, so even though I would like to believe otherwise, it only makes sense to go along with the consensus of the scinetific community.
    Yes! And that is the only logical position regarding the age of the earth, evolution, global warming, and all the other scientific issues that people wish to debate.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

  5. #5
    greyhound rescuer M Richardson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    2,357

    Default Re: William Happer on Global Warming

    Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    Yes! And that is the only logical position regarding the age of the earth, evolution, global warming, and all the other scientific issues that people wish to debate.
    I agree - for what that is worth. Along with that, I would like to add that we need to look at worse-case scenarios. It may be that global warming is a modern urban myth - but can we take that chance? There are things that we can do to correct the perceived problem. If we take those precautions, it costs us lost productivity and profit. If, on the other hand, the problem is real and we don't take the precautions, the cost is the death of the species.

    R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

  6. #6
    Round of 12
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    328

    Default Re: William Happer on Global Warming

    But i do know that the vast majority of climatologists believe the earth is warming and it is due to man made influences, so even though I would like to believe otherwise, it only makes sense to go along with the consensus of the scinetific community.

    ODH, is this true? I've always heard it's not the case at all. It's the vocal minority of scientists who've been advocating man-made influenced global warming. I've never heard it's even close to a majority.

  7. #7
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,902

    Default Re: William Happer on Global Warming

    Exactly, MRichardson... but I would further argue that even if man-made global warming turns out to be less threatening that we imagine, there are still benefits to pursuing alternate energy sources and "greener" lifestyles. Our environment is still fragile, and fossil fuels are still a nonrenewable resource- even without global climate change.

  8. #8
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: William Happer on Global Warming

    Quote Originally Posted by M Richardson View Post
    I agree - for what that is worth. Along with that, I would like to add that we need to look at worse-case scenarios. It may be that global warming is a modern urban myth - but can we take that chance? There are things that we can do to correct the perceived problem. If we take those precautions, it costs us lost productivity and profit. If, on the other hand, the problem is real and we don't take the precautions, the cost is the death of the species.
    Just as a devil's advocate aside, I will point out that some people use a similar agrument to convince non-believers (or non-Christians) to believe in God (as if belief is a choice). They say that if there is no heaven, you haven't done any harm by worshipping God and living according to religious laws, but if there is a heaven and you remain a non-believer, you're screwed.

    My answer: if I live a good life, treat people fairly and honestly, and don't violate the rights of others, I'm not interested in going to a place where I'm not welcome, or in worshipping a God who doesn't accept general goodness, but requires belief in a specific religion.

    Sorry for the religion hyjack. Please continue with global warming. If anyone wants to discuss this further, please start a new thread.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

  9. #9
    Round of 12
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    328

    Default Re: William Happer on Global Warming

    Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    Exactly, MRichardson... but I would further argue that even if man-made global warming turns out to be less threatening that we imagine, there are still benefits to pursuing alternate energy sources and "greener" lifestyles. Our environment is still fragile, and fossil fuels are still a nonrenewable resource- even without global climate change.
    Very very true.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

user tags

william happer global warming

william happer exxoncritique william happerWilliam Happer refutearguments against william happerwilliam happer global warming quoteswiliam happer global warminghapper wrestlingwilliam happer religiouspowered by vBulletin inaugural ball

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •