Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 19 to 27 of 42

Thread: Obama's White House Press Conferences

  1. #19

    Default Re: Obama's White House Press Conferences

    Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    Neither of you (ArmyFan, Chance) have been able to identify any of my "left leaning sources" (villains) and of course you insult me (probably intended) by insinuating that I rely on talking points or lift my opinions from these unidentified sources. Even though I've specifically mentioned before to Army Fan that I don't read Huffington Post, he repeats his assertion that I do. And even though I've spelled out specific criticisms of talk radio, they are apparently for naught because Chance tells me that I cannot articulate why "they" are wrong. Of course, talk radio audiences are not known for their long term memory, or for much memory at all. One the best things I ever read on these forums, I think by JeffrIdeal, was his remark that someone's views were shaped by "whatever they last heard on talk radio".
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl.../notebook.html that is a pretty good example of left leaning.

    You repeat the left the talking points on almost every issue that we debate on here. I am not saying that is bad but the way you think you are above what you call propaganda is crap.

    You talk about how bad "talk radio" is but you have not been able to say where there were wrong in regards to their facts. Talk Radio is a scapegoat for you, if someone doesn't agree with you then it has to be because they listen to talk radio. If you don't agree with what they are saying then debate the issue and and articulate why they are wrong instead of trying to insult everyone that listens to talk radio by calling them idiots.

  2. #20
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    It's a long way from East Colorado
    Posts
    3,740

    Default Re: Obama's White House Press Conferences

    Talk radio (the Limbaugh, Hannity, Savage version) doesn't trade in facts. They trade in misinformation. Propaganda is propaganda. It has specific characteristics. When I picked up Mike Rosen of Denver's giant KOA a week or two ago (ironically talking about the Letterman-Palin story--I wonder who mentioned that here?), he referred to the "Dominant Liberal Establishment Mass Media". He repeated that exact phrase about a dozen times in one half hour (commercials included). You recognize the features of propaganda or you don't. It has nothing to do with left or right. I usually associate someone with talk radio listenership when they offer incredibly stupid arguments of the sort that I might expect to hear, or have heard, on talk radio and that I would not normally expect to hear in adult conversation.

  3. #21

    Default Re: Obama's White House Press Conferences

    If you don't agree with what they are saying then debate the issue and and articulate why they are wrong instead of trying to insult everyone that listens to talk radio by calling them idiots.
    Listening to talk radio doesn't make one an idiot.




    Believing talk radio and repeating what you heard on talk radio does, though.
    Your ignorance is painful to witness.....

  4. #22
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,962

    Default Re: Obama's White House Press Conferences

    Quote Originally Posted by Chance174 View Post
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl.../notebook.html that is a pretty good example of left leaning.

    ...
    How is that interview left leaning?
    The person they were interviewing favored national health insurance, but I saw no bias in the questions.

  5. #23

    Default Re: Obama's White House Press Conferences

    Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    Talk radio (the Limbaugh, Hannity, Savage version) doesn't trade in facts. They trade in misinformation. Propaganda is propaganda. It has specific characteristics. When I picked up Mike Rosen of Denver's giant KOA a week or two ago (ironically talking about the Letterman-Palin story--I wonder who mentioned that here?), he referred to the "Dominant Liberal Establishment Mass Media". He repeated that exact phrase about a dozen times in one half hour (commercials included). You recognize the features of propaganda or you don't. It has nothing to do with left or right. I usually associate someone with talk radio listenership when they offer incredibly stupid arguments of the sort that I might expect to hear, or have heard, on talk radio and that I would not normally expect to hear in adult conversation.
    How often do you listen to Limbaugh, Hannity, or Savage? I have never listend to Mike Rosen so I can't speak for him. wow nice little dig at me there in regards to his topic. God forbid people actually got upset over that but i guess it is okay because of who's daughter he was making fun of. The funny part is I didn't get it off of talk radio but good try. If he repeated that phrase who cares, does that make it propoganda or is it true that the majorty of mass media is dominated by the left?

    I find it ammussing that you group almost everyone who disagrees with you into this group. That tells an awful lot.

  6. #24

    Default Re: Obama's White House Press Conferences

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    How is that interview left leaning?
    The person they were interviewing favored national health insurance, but I saw no bias in the questions.
    Are you serious or just messing with me?

    I thought it was pretty clear that the person interviewng agreed with the person being interviewed. Not to mention PBS is left leaning and the person being interviewed worked for the post which is a huge left leaning paper.

  7. #25

    Default Re: Obama's White House Press Conferences

    Quote Originally Posted by Black-n-Red View Post
    Listening to talk radio doesn't make one an idiot.




    Believing talk radio and repeating what you heard on talk radio does, though.
    I disagree as I do with a lot of what is said on talk radio. So listening to someone speak who you agree with makes you an idiot? Most people who rip on Talk Radio never really listens to it or only hears partial parts of a show that they hear on the news or read about online.

  8. #26
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    It's a long way from East Colorado
    Posts
    3,740

    Default Re: Obama's White House Press Conferences

    Quote Originally Posted by Chance174
    I have never listend to Mike Rosen so I can't speak for him. wow nice little dig at me there in regards to his topic. God forbid people actually got upset over that but i guess it is okay because of who's daughter he was making fun of.
    I just thought it interesting that on Weds or so of that week you posted the Letterman-Palin story, and on Friday of that week when I randomly searched the radio dial I heard Mike Rosen in Denver (whom I figured was outside your range) talking about this very thing. This supports my hypothesis that talk radio is connected somehow so that they generally talk about the same subjects (your presumably heard this in Arizona; I heard in in Denver), and that one can fairly predict what will be a story on talk radio (if there's a good race story, it always leads--oops, sorry, I forgot you live in a colorblind world). And, of course, there is the talk radio "formula" (Identify a villain; present a loose set of facts tied in some way to said villain; with the intention of stirring up the emotions of your audience) which is repeated on talk radio all over the nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chance 174
    If he repeated that phrase that phrase who cares, does that make it propoganda[?]
    It's a sign. Duh.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chance174
    or is it true that the majorty of mass media is dominated by the left?
    You evidently have your answer. Why ask me?

  9. #27
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    It's a long way from East Colorado
    Posts
    3,740

    Default Re: Obama's White House Press Conferences

    Quote Originally Posted by Black n Red
    Listening to talk radio doesn't make one an idiot.

    Believing talk radio and repeating what you heard on talk radio does, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance174
    I disagree as I do with a lot of what is said on talk radio. So listening to someone speak who you agree with makes you an idiot?
    Wow. What Black n Red said was not that difficult. Yet, you managed to misstate his proposition.

    Since talk radio distorts nearly every story it touches, does it follow that its audiences likewise cannot touch any statement or argument without distorting them too? One wouldn't think so but...

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •