Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
Results 46 to 52 of 52

Thread: Affirmative Action -still needed or outdated

  1. #46
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,968

    Default Re: Affirmative Action -still needed or outdated

    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    If you take the public funds and attend a private school or another public school that is better I am sure they can teach english to non english speakers and most cities give funds to people who have special needs kids and those kids are in special classes...
    ?
    Are you saying that Private schools have the same burdens that Publics schools do?
    Or are you saying private schools could do a better job for less money?

    I know private schools in my area will "redirect" a special ed student to a public school because they know they don't have the resources to adequately help them.

  2. #47
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,935

    Default Re: Affirmative Action -still needed or outdated

    Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    Whatever. You've obviously come to some ultimate conclusions (Private schools and vouchers are good! Unions are bad!!) about issues that are obviously in dispute. You seem less interested in having a discussion about said issues, and more in asserting that you are right through the repetition of rhetorical arguments (e.g. we should allow parents to decide...). Which begs the question: why ask a question if you already hold the answer?
    You were the one with the smart ass comment, I just returned the favor.

    Vouchers dont have to used at private schools they could be used to send kids to better public schools i.e from Aurora Central to Cherry Creek. It would hopefully force those schools that are failing to do better. Don't we always tell kids good competition makes us better.

    I ask the question to see what you believe. As usual neither you nore BNR can state your beliefs or what you think might be a solution. You can only attempt build road blocks for other peoples ideas. Vouchers is not my idea but i see the possibilities in them and how they could change the failing system we have now for the better. They were working in DC.

    Since ESL and special needs were brought up do any of you know the percentage of those kids in the public school system. I am going to assume it is less than 2%.

  3. #48
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,935

    Default Re: Affirmative Action -still needed or outdated

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    ?
    Are you saying that Private schools have the same burdens that Publics schools do?
    Or are you saying private schools could do a better job for less money?

    I know private schools in my area will "redirect" a special ed student to a public school because they know they don't have the resources to adequately help them.
    I am saying that the job of a private school is the same as a public and that is to educate and they do it for less money per pupil while still offering arts and athletics. Perhaps they dont have the resources to accompany all special needs kids but as I stated previous that has to be a very small minority of the nations student body.

  4. #49
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    It's a long way from East Colorado
    Posts
    3,740

    Default Re: Affirmative Action -still needed or outdated

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH
    It is not entierly fair to compare the costs between provate and public schools. Public schools have to accept and try to educate every single student. This is includes very high costs for special ed and non-English speaking students. I would assume that this is one of the main reasons why costs for city schools per pupil are so high.
    Quote Originally Posted by matclone
    It's not a fair comparison at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY
    Tell me why it is not a fair comparison.
    You argue like a kid, then wonder why you get smartass comments.

  5. #50
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    It's a long way from East Colorado
    Posts
    3,740

    Default Re: Affirmative Action -still needed or outdated

    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY View Post
    I ask the question to see what you believe. As usual neither you nore BNR can state your beliefs or what you think might be a solution. You can only attempt build road blocks for other peoples ideas. Vouchers is not my idea but i see the possibilities in them and how they could change the failing system we have now for the better. They were working in DC.
    I'm not an expert on education or school vouchers so I don't have all the answers. Just because we ask questions that don't fit the script you've been handed that vouchers are the answer, doesn't mean we're being obstructionist or that we don't want or have solutions. It is a way, however, to test the soundness of your arguments.


    Quote Originally Posted by UGLY
    Since ESL and special needs were brought up do any of you know the percentage of those kids in the public school system. I am going to assume it is less than 2%.
    Don't know. Obviously, the percentage of ESL students is going to vary significantly by the school district. Also, just because someone mentioned special needs and ESL as an example, doesn't mean there aren't other differences between private and public schools.

  6. #51
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,935

    Default Re: Affirmative Action -still needed or outdated

    Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    You argue like a kid, then wonder why you get smartass comments.
    If you say it is not a fair comparison then I would assume you have a reason for it not being fair. Beyond ESL and special needs what is the difference.

    I dont know that vouchers are the exact answer but I see them doing better than what we have now. At the least they can be a part of a solution in bringing inner city education and education in general up to speed with what the world is going to demand from our students in the future. Idont think we disagree that changes need to be made.

  7. #52
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,968

    Default Re: Affirmative Action -still needed or outdated

    One special needs kid per class can double (or more) the cost of educating an entire class. So even if it is a small percentage of kids, it is enough not a minor costs.
    I don't know much about ESL, but one could assume that those costs can be significant as well.
    Another factor to consider is discipline problems. Public schools cannot kick kids out as easily as private schools. I don't know if that is a significant expense, but it is a major difference in how the schools can be run.

    Another question is fundraising. Is this factored in when the cost to educate private schools students is calculated or do they just figure tuition costs?
    Private schools often do major fundraising or large endowments.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •