Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
Results 46 to 51 of 51

Thread: Calif. SCt upholds gay marriage ban

  1. #46
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    It's a long way from East Colorado
    Posts
    3,740

    Default Re: Calif. SCt upholds gay marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyFan View Post
    I laid out how noone in Flogging's example was being discriminated against based on gender. Each of them has the same right to marry someone of the opposite gender.
    Like I told Ugly, I got that part.

  2. #47

    Default Re: Calif. SCt upholds gay marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    We see how it goes:

    Army Fan says I don't see the distinction b/t gay marriage and polygamy, i.e., why is gay marriage acceptable (for some) but polygamy is not?

    Flogging Sully directly answers the question, making an argument for a distinction. Army Fan ignores answer (as well as his question) and declares that the prohibition on gay marriage is not discriminatory. Ugly accepts that.
    The first sentence is correct.

    Your second paragraph is filled with errors. Flogging said there was gender discrimination when there clearly is not. Each party (both men and women) are treated the same. I don't know what answer (or question) you think I'm ignoring. I merely pointed out how I disagreed with Flogging's rationale. I see no gender discrimination in his example.

  3. #48

    Default Re: Calif. SCt upholds gay marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    Use a little imagination.



    State's have that right, unless you can show why a restriction is wrong (as they did in Loving).

    You and Army Fan (although he won't admit it) are generally opposed to gay marriage. You are apparently reluctant to directly argue why gay marriage should be prohibited, so you send us on these wild goose chases, like discussions about polygamy. You and ArmyFan are not really in favor of polygamy (although he says otherwise), but you don't like the gay marriage thing. Why dont' you admit it, and tell why gay marriage should be prohibited. It can't be that hard. I can think of arguments.
    Again you're projecting. And you accuse so many others of straw men arguments. I promise I have no issue with gay marriage sanctioned by individual states. Likewise, I have no issue with multi-partner marriages sanctioned by individual states.

    I have no strong argument against gay marriage. However, if the people of a state vote to define marriage as a legal union between one man and one woman then I respect the voice of the people.

    As I've said before, I don't understand the passion displayed by both sides of this debate.

  4. #49
    Super Moderator UGLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    4,934

    Default Re: Calif. SCt upholds gay marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post






    It's unlikely we'll "prove" a genetic cause anytime soon, which means people like you will tell us it's okay to discriminate because we can't prove it. All those gays; they can't be trusted to tell the truth. They're out to spread their ee-vil agenda. (shuddering)

    Yes, You have cracked the code all hail the only person who speaks the truth.

  5. #50
    National Finalist
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    832

    Default Re: Calif. SCt upholds gay marriage ban

    Originally Posted by ctc
    The statement that "it is an immutable charastic" and they are "born that way" is simply a lie.
    Whatever you say. My purpose on this forum is to simply lie.

    I don't know what your purpose is, I do know that propogating "they were born that way" is a lie.

    Originally Posted by ctc
    There are many gays that have gotten out of their practice - that is a fact.

    Originally Posted by ctc
    The arguement "they are born that way" has never been validated
    Neither has the existence of God. Perhaps you should have faith that they are "born that way". Btw, how do we know you're not a homosexual?

    The defense for the existence of God is powerful. We even have a "Word of God". Homosexuality has zero basis that they were born that way.

    Originally Posted by ctc
    A pedophile could make the same claim.
    But he won't persuade anyone that pedophilia is a moral practice. *Straw man*. I'm suprised you didn't bring up bestiality.

    I could have brought up bestiality, even thought about it. There are people that the pedophilia arguement would work on, there are people that already believe that it is OK and morally acceptable. The standard is not subjective but objective (another powerful arguement for the existence for God). Even is a person is "born that way", that doesn't make doing it moral. I was born to lie as were all of us; yet, lying is immoral. Drunkards claim to be born with the gene. That doesn't make drunkeness morally acceptable.

  6. #51

    Default Re: Calif. SCt upholds gay marriage ban

    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyFan View Post
    Your second paragraph is filled with errors. Flogging said there was gender discrimination when there clearly is not. Each party (both men and women) are treated the same. I don't know what answer (or question) you think I'm ignoring. I merely pointed out how I disagreed with Flogging's rationale. I see no gender discrimination in his example.
    In my example Billy was allowed to do something (marry Sally) but Susie was not allowed to do the same thing. The only reason for allowing one person to do something and not the other is their gender, how is that not discrimination based on gender?

    Let's change the analogy around a little. Billy and Sally want to get married (both are white) and are allowed, but if Billy (who is white) and Susie (who is black) aren't allowed to get married because they aren't the same skin color wouldn't that be racial discrimination? If Susie is allowed to marry a black man but not a white man that means everyone is treated equally, right?
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •