Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 9 of 41

Thread: How far is your commute?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    It's a long way from East Colorado
    Posts
    3,740

    Default How far is your commute?

    In time and/or distance? The linked article speaks of extraordinary distances commonly traveled. I once might have not believed it, but many of my co-workers live 50 miles or more than an hour away from work.


    http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...act_paumgarten

    "Roughly one out of every six American workers commutes more than forty-five minutes, each way. People travel between counties the way they used to travel between neighborhoods. The number of commuters who travel ninety minutes or more each way—known to the Census Bureau as “extreme commuters”—has reached 3.5 million, almost double the number in 1990."

  2. #2

    Default

    I am fortunate that my commute is only about 40 blocks and one avenue. However, it sucked to walk it during the transportation strike last year.

    As you can tell, I am one of those people that hates commuting. I would rather live in Manhattan and live in an apartment the size of a postage stamp than live in NJ and have a much bigger apartment for my money and have to spend a lot more time commuting.

  3. #3

    Default

    25 miles. Takes about 40 minutes, about half of it is local traffic, half expressway driving. Not much congestion on the expressway, thankfully. It's my #1 complaint about my job - the gas and the distance. A lot of people at my job drive a lot further.
    "All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind." -- Abraham Lincoln

  4. #4
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    It's a long way from East Colorado
    Posts
    3,740

    Default

    I'm with you, DH. I live in the city, about 1 1/2 miles (walking distance) from work--by design. Of course, we all have different circumstances. I don't have a wife around to pine for a suburban home and I like living in the city so the choice was easy.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    I'm with you, DH. I live in the city, about 1 1/2 miles (walking distance) from work--by design. Of course, we all have different circumstances. I don't have a wife around to pine for a suburban home and I like living in the city so the choice was easy.
    I didn't know you lived in NYC! Where are you?

    I live on 75th and Columbus, so it's perfect for me... right in between Columbia (where I work) and the NYAC (where I train). When apartment hunting, I kept both those factors in mind. Sometimes I really wish I had a nice big house, but then I realize how cool NYC is and I'm not ready to move yet.

  6. #6
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    It's a long way from East Colorado
    Posts
    3,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DH View Post
    I didn't know you lived in NYC! Where are you?

    I live on 75th and Columbus, so it's perfect for me... right in between Columbia (where I work) and the NYAC (where I train). When apartment hunting, I kept both those factors in mind. Sometimes I really wish I had a nice big house, but then I realize how cool NYC is and I'm not ready to move yet.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to imply I live in NYC. I live in central Denver. But I guess to New Yorkers, "the city" means THE city. If I had such a choice (could afford to live in NYC) I would probably do just what you're doing, including finding a good workout facility close by.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    Sorry, I didn't mean to imply I live in NYC. I live in central Denver. But I guess to New Yorkers, "the city" means THE city. If I had such a choice (could afford to live in NYC) I would probably do just what you're doing, including finding a good workout facility close by.
    Oops.. my mistake. Around here, "the city" means NYC. And the fact that you posted the article from 'The New Yorker' made me think you were a New Yawwwkker!

  8. #8

    Default

    My job has moved more times that I have in the 18 years I've been there. I'm on my second house and 4th job location (same company, but sold and merged, etc.).
    I wouldn't consider moving closer right now - I live 3 blocks from the high school so there's really no discussion about buying another car for teenagers.
    "All my life I have tried to pluck a thistle and plant a flower wherever the flower would grow in thought and mind." -- Abraham Lincoln

  9. #9

    Default

    I'm blessed to be a home-based writer, so my "commute" is measured in feet, not miles...

    I've always had "extreme" commutes -- incredibly short or long. For five years, I lived in downtown Cincinnati and walked ten minutes to my office. Immediately after that, however, I took a job in downtown Dayton, which suddenly meant a drive of nearly 50 miles one way. That got really old really fast, esp in the snow. But at least it was mostly open expressway.

    Mark

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •