Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast
Results 37 to 45 of 147

Thread: London Olympics: General Discussion Thread

  1. #37

    Default Re: London Olympics: General Discussion Thread

    Haha! I set myself up for that one. I also have a question for you. I watched Delpopolo's round of 16 match. I'm almost positive that they called opponent after a 20 second hold down. What's the deal there?

  2. #38
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: London Olympics: General Discussion Thread

    Does it bother anyone else that they're calling Michael Phelps the Greatest Olympian Ever because he has won more Olympic medals than any other athlete? Swimmers, runners and gymnasts typically compete in several events and are therefore eligible for more medals. Others (like wrestlers) are only eligible for one medal per Olympics, no matter how dominant they are in their sport. I'm more impressed by people who continue to win gold, or even silver or bronze, in several Olympics over the years, which admittedly Phelps has done. Not that Phelps isn't a great athlete, but to me, the achievements of guys like Smith and Baumgartner are more noteworthy considering the demands of the sport.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

  3. #39

    Default Re: London Olympics: General Discussion Thread

    I don't claim to know what swimmers go through in their training, but I would assume it could be very grueling. We used to go to the YMCA over Christmas break for practice and it sucked. I couldnt imagine doing it everyday, but then I hated wrestling practice every day too.

    I have no problem with them calling Phelps the greatest olypmian ever. He's got the hardware to prove it. I kind of think he's a DB, but that's beside the point.
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

    "I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

  4. #40

    Default Re: London Olympics: General Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    I don't claim to know what swimmers go through in their training, but I would assume it could be very grueling. We used to go to the YMCA over Christmas break for practice and it sucked. I couldnt imagine doing it everyday, but then I hated wrestling practice every day too.

    I have no problem with them calling Phelps the greatest olypmian ever. He's got the hardware to prove it. I kind of think he's a DB, but that's beside the point.
    I think id be intolerably douchey if i were the best olympian ever. I hope so anyway..
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

  5. #41

    Default Re: London Olympics: General Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    I think id be intolerably douchey if i were the best olympian ever. I hope so anyway..
    What's your current excuse?
    THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE

    "I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 12/4/09

  6. #42
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: London Olympics: General Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    I have no problem with them calling Phelps the greatest olypmian ever. He's got the hardware to prove it.
    I'm just saying that the nature of his sport gives him many more opportunities to get the hardware than other athletes.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

  7. #43

    Default Re: London Olympics: General Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    I'm more impressed by people who continue to win gold, or even silver or bronze, in several Olympics over the years, which admittedly Phelps has done.
    You kind of say it all right here. I've no issue with calling Phelps the best Olympian ever.

    He's done it over the course of three cycles now including peaking in Beijing with what was (in my mind) the greatest Olympic performance by a single athlete ever.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

    "If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

  8. #44

    Default Re: London Olympics: General Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Herkey#1 View Post
    What's your current excuse?
    I knew that was coming, and you gave me a chuckle.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

  9. #45

    Default Re: London Olympics: General Discussion Thread

    I give a lot of respect to Carl Lewis. I think his feat would be harder to duplicate...maybe..
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •