Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
Results 10 to 18 of 147

Thread: London Olympics: General Discussion Thread

  1. #10

    Default Re: London Olympics: General Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    I don't think that I've had the same spirit for the Olympics ever since pros started competing in some of the sports, simply because Bobby Knight (I think that was the coach) had a tantrum that we didn't win gold for the first time in many, many years in basketball and, by God, we're never going to lose again. I still say that a top tier college team would STILL beat any pro team that the world has to offer.

    Now to hear that golf is going to be doing the same thing, yuck!
    Knight coached the 84 team in LA that won Gold. John Thompson was the coach in Seoul in 88 when we lost which lead to the Dream Team in 92.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

    "If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

  2. #11

    Default Re: London Olympics: General Discussion Thread

    I also love summer Olympics. Diving and weightlifting are my favorites. But since I can watch any event on the computer, I will also be watching judo with some guys from my class. Like armspin, I will also be keeping up with tennis.

  3. #12

    Default Re: London Olympics: General Discussion Thread

    I think that I'm linking Knight with it because I recall him being an outspoken advocate for pros playing. I can also remember him saying something to the tune of, "We play the game better than anyone in the world," which was his main argument for allowing pros to play.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  4. #13

    Default Re: London Olympics: General Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    I still say that a top tier college team would STILL beat any pro team that the world has to offer.
    You're obviously not terribly familiar with the lack of quality in NCAA basketball currently. You could have been right 15-20 years ago, but the talent that's in the college ranks is gone after a year. USA would absolutely NOT win gold with a team full of college players. International basketball has improved tremendously.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

  5. #14

    Default Re: London Olympics: General Discussion Thread

    First edition of Phelps v. Lochte is on for tonight in the 400 m IM final.

    Phelps snuck in with the 8th and final qualifying spot.
    RIP Jacob Schlottke - 1984-2011

    "If Cornell finishes ahead of Iowa with five all americans I'll jump into the Des Moines River after finals." -Herkey#1 8/16/12

  6. #15
    Olympic Champ r.payton@att.net's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Danville .Indiana
    Posts
    8,718

    Default Re: London Olympics: General Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JensenS View Post
    Knight coached the 84 team in LA that won Gold. John Thompson was the coach in Seoul in 88 when we lost which lead to the Dream Team in 92.
    Coach Knight blew away the competition in 1984 . He also snuck steve Alford onto the team and steve would later lead IU to the 1987 NCAA championship .Coach Knight , IMO, could coach wrestling ,football or any other sport and not just succeed , but excel.
    You know, I think I would rather be a man than a god . We don't need anyone to believe in us. We just keep going anyhow. It's what we do.

  7. #16

    Default Re: London Olympics: General Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    You're obviously not terribly familiar with the lack of quality in NCAA basketball currently. You could have been right 15-20 years ago, but the talent that's in the college ranks is gone after a year. USA would absolutely NOT win gold with a team full of college players. International basketball has improved tremendously.
    We may not win gold, but I'd think that we could certainly medal with amateur players.

    For me, I went from loving to watch Olympic basketball to absolutely loathing watching a lopsided score of 406-13, game after game. There just didn't seem to be any sport left in it anymore, and the spirit of competition was completely lost to me.

    I'm going to hate it even more when golf hits the scene, as I'm a huge golf fan.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  8. #17

    Default Re: London Olympics: General Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    We may not win gold, but I'd think that we could certainly medal with amateur players.

    For me, I went from loving to watch Olympic basketball to absolutely loathing watching a lopsided score of 406-13, game after game. There just didn't seem to be any sport left in it anymore, and the spirit of competition was completely lost to me.

    I'm going to hate it even more when golf hits the scene, as I'm a huge golf fan.
    We have the best players. Every other country sends pros. This is supposed to be competition between the best on Earth. Not some oppurtunity for less skilled youngsters to go give it their all. Its the freaking Olympics.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

  9. #18

    Default Re: London Olympics: General Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by vaisforlovers View Post
    We have the best players. Every other country sends pros. This is supposed to be competition between the best on Earth. Not some oppurtunity for less skilled youngsters to go give it their all. Its the freaking Olympics.
    Well, in the days that this was all being debated, our college players were still whopping their "pros." We simply didn't win gold one Olympics and everyone went ape poop over it. Knight, among many others, started screaming, 'if they bring their pros, why not bring ours?" It was one lost gold that led to this change.

    To me, it became childish, poutish (if that's word), and ruined the spirit of the Olympics, which is competition. In all seriousness, do you actually enjoy watching our pros beat teams by 50 points each game, and do you feel the same about it now days when we win gold in basketball?

    To me, it seems absurd to even feel pride in a victory, when your're talking about men playing with the boys.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •