Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 9 of 11

Thread: I've heard of over training but DAM

  1. #1
    Olympic Champ r.payton@att.net's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Danville .Indiana
    Posts
    8,718

    Default I've heard of over training but DAM

    IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP)?The University of Iowa said Wednesday that 13 football players had to be hospitalized this week with a muscle disorder following grueling offseason workouts that left them with extreme soreness and discolored urine.
    The players have rhabdomyolysis, a stress-induced syndrome that can damage cells and cause kidney damage and even failure in severe cases, school spokesman Tom Moore said at a news conference two days after players were hospitalized at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City.
    School officials said the players, whom they would not identify, were in stable condition and responding well to treatment, which includes bed rest and the administration of hydrating fluids. Moore said he did not know when the players would be discharged.
    AdChoices
    <SCRIPT language='JavaScript1.1' src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/N3285.yahoocom/B2343920.976;abr=!ie;sz=160x600;click=http://global.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=15vvh571g/M=601285727.601847854.592104551.560257551/D=sports/S=95862243:SKY/_ylt=AolF1Z4D2SxI1MT3c2vp9szjvbYF/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1296094007/L=d7L9u0wNdHEMHM4hTNjMcwBFRuGJ_01AtxcACci6/B=oGU0DUwNPKQ-/J=1296086807747676/K=ijnqDAElRGkyd20mMMdHTQ/A=2543069682759291254/R=2/X=3/*;dcopt=rcl;mtfIFPath=nofile;ord=1296086807747676"></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT><A HREF="http://global.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=15vvh571g/M=601285727.601847854.592104551.560257551/D=sports/S=95862243:SKY/_ylt=AolF1Z4D2SxI1MT3c2vp9szjvbYF/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1296094007/L=d7L9u0wNdHEMHM4hTNjMcwBFRuGJ_01AtxcACci6/B=oGU0DUwNPKQ-/J=1296086807747676/K=ijnqDAElRGkyd20mMMdHTQ/A=2543069682759291254/R=0/X=3/SIG=13fogk1fv/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/N3285.yahoocom/B2343920.976;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5;sz=160x600;ord=1296 086807747676?"><IMG SRC="http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/N3285.yahoocom/B2343920.976;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5;sz=160x600;ord=1296 086807747676?" BORDER=0 WIDTH=160 HEIGHT=600 ALT="Click Here"></A></NOSCRIPT>


    Director of football operations Paul Federici said the players participated in workouts that started last Thursday after they returned from winter break. Some of them complained to medical staff after a workout on Monday and symptoms included soreness throughout the body and tea-colored urine, and other players were told they should receive treatment if they had similar problems, he said.
    A former athletic trainer, Federici said he?s never seen the syndrome among student-athletes at Iowa before. He said he was still looking into the details of the workouts but said they were no different than those from previous years during what he called a critical seven-week stretch of training.
    ?It is strenuous. It is ambitious. The student athletes know that,? he said. ?This is an anomaly. We just haven?t seen this type of response before.?
    He said the players range from freshmen to upperclassmen and include a range of positions.
    One of those hospitalized is freshman linebacker Jim Poggi of Towson, Md., whose father, Biff Poggi, said his son complained to trainers on Monday after several days of soreness. He said his son?s pain started last Thursday with a lower-body workout that involved performing 100 squats in a certain amount of time and pulling a sled 100 yards. It got worse Friday after an upper-body workout, and Monday?s workout ?didn?t go well.? His urine was discolored, and the team?s medical staff sent him for treatment.
    Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz, athletic director Gary Barta and team doctor Ned Amendola were all out of town on business and not at the press conference. Chris Doyle, the team?s strength and conditioning coach who has worked under Ferentz all 12 years of his tenure, and other strength coaches who oversaw the workouts were not made available to reporters.
    Doyle is nationally known as a leader in player development, turning sometimes scrawny freshmen into physical specimens by the time they graduate. Ferentz has said that is a key part of his program?s success.
    Biff Poggi, a high school football coach in Baltimore, said he was concerned about the situation but also confident his son would recover and rejoin the team. He said the hospitalized players are disappointed and eager to resume practice.
    University of Iowa doctor John Stokes, a kidney specialist who is not involved in the players? treatment, said the common denominator is they had all participated in strenuous exercise, which commonly brings on the disorder in otherwise healthy young people. He said the symptom is common among military recruits in boot camp and treatment usually focuses on trying to limit kidney damage.
    ?I?ve been at UI for 32 years and I don?t think I?ve seen 13 people get rhabdomyolysis,? he said. ?It?s a fairly common diagnosis .This cluster would be unusual.?
    Athletes routinely recover from the disorder and go back to playing, but they may change their exercise routines and ensure better hydration, he said.
    Associate athletics director Fred Mims said school officials would take steps to ?ensure it doesn?t happen again.? Mims, who is in charge of the department?s compliance with NCAA rules, said the matter did not need to be reported since the workouts were allowed and routine.
    He said the case is a ?good lesson? for why university officials should ask players about how they are feeling after strenuous workouts. He said Iowa will also try to avoid problems after players return from school breaks and might not have kept up with fitness routines by making sure expectations are clear.
    Updated 27 minutes ago



    digg add to facebook del.icio.us Twitter

    NCAAF





  2. #2

    Default Re: I've heard of over training but DAM

    The State Board of Regents have ordered an investigation into it now.

    The exact same thing simply doesn't happen to 13 guys at the same time.

    Likely going to be, yet another, scar on the University of Iowa football program. Nice to see that Ferentz is the highest paid employee in the state at $3.6 million dollars to produce lack luster teams, criminal records, drug arrests, and now this.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  3. #3

    Default Re: I've heard of over training but DAM

    Quote Originally Posted by ban basketball View Post
    The State Board of Regents have ordered an investigation into it now.

    The exact same thing simply doesn't happen to 13 guys at the same time.

    Likely going to be, yet another, scar on the University of Iowa football program. Nice to see that Ferentz is the highest paid employee in the state at $3.6 million dollars to produce lack luster teams, criminal records, drug arrests, and now this.
    I understand that you are a UNI fan and that probably makes you hate anything Iowa. I am the same way with Michigan, so I know your hatred. But to say that he produces lackluster teams is simply not true.

    Under Ferentz, the Hawkeyes have put together the greatest run in school history. The Hawkeyes also won 11 games in 2002 and 10 games in both 2003 and 2004. With a 7-5 record in 2005, Iowa posted a four-year mark of 38-12, the best in school history. And, Iowa's 25 Big Ten wins were the most ever by a Hawkeye team in a four-year span. No other Big Ten team won more league games over that four-year period.

    Here is the link where you can read how wrong your statement is, again I hate Michigan and probably only see bad in them too.

    http://www.hawkeyesports.com/sports/...tz_kirk00.html

    There was a story on espn.com yesterday that told more about the situation. Parents were mad and told Ferentz so, because he didn't come back as soon as he heard the news. They felt that he just left them when they needed him and he told them that he would always protect their kids. They also said he was visibly shaken and upset. I can't find the story now, but a better googler probably could.

    Also, my wife is a nurse. She usually faults on the side of caution, especially with our kids. But she said that the thing they were diagnosed with wasn't that uncommon. It does happen a lot in basic training and she says it probably happens more than we know in sports. Again, that is what she said, I have no clue.
    Last edited by quinn14; 01-29-2011 at 03:24 PM.

  4. #4
    Olympic Champ r.payton@att.net's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Danville .Indiana
    Posts
    8,718

    Default Re: I've heard of over training but DAM

    This DOES happen in basic training a lot -but guys in basic training are not Blue Chip athletes who are used to extreme work outs. I'm relatively sure everyone on this site has worked out til they hurled or ran wearing plastics until they stopped sweating-but discolored urine and 18-20 year old not being able to get out of bed ?? Seems extreme to me .But WTH do I know ?

  5. #5

    Default Re: I've heard of over training but DAM

    If I could find the article I was referencing, it did say that the conditioning coach told them that they didn't finish games last year. I think all 5 of their losses were in the 4th quarter and most were within 2 minutes left in the game.

    So, the conditioning coach had them doing crazy amounts of squats and things like that for their first workout back. Now, I don't know if this would've happened if they were already in shape or not. But it sounds like a workout that was too hard for people not already in shape, much like boot camp. But, again, I don't know. Time will tell.

  6. #6

    Default Re: I've heard of over training but DAM

    Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    I understand that you are a UNI fan and that probably makes you hate anything Iowa. I am the same way with Michigan, so I know your hatred. But to say that he produces lackluster teams is simply not true.

    Under Ferentz, the Hawkeyes have put together the greatest run in school history. The Hawkeyes also won 11 games in 2002 and 10 games in both 2003 and 2004. With a 7-5 record in 2005, Iowa posted a four-year mark of 38-12, the best in school history. And, Iowa's 25 Big Ten wins were the most ever by a Hawkeye team in a four-year span. No other Big Ten team won more league games over that four-year period.

    Here is the link where you can read how wrong your statement is, again I hate Michigan and probably only see bad in them too.

    http://www.hawkeyesports.com/sports/...tz_kirk00.html

    There was a story on espn.com yesterday that told more about the situation. Parents were mad and told Ferentz so, because he didn't come back as soon as he heard the news. They felt that he just left them when they needed him and he told them that he would always protect their kids. They also said he was visibly shaken and upset. I can't find the story now, but a better googler probably could.

    Also, my wife is a nurse. She usually faults on the side of caution, especially with our kids. But she said that the thing they were diagnosed with wasn't that uncommon. It does happen a lot in basic training and she says it probably happens more than we know in sports. Again, that is what she said, I have no clue.
    So you live in Iowa and have the inside track on them the past COUPLE of years (key), like I do?

    Ferentz' salary was upped big time before last year, they had a decent season last year, but, aside from that, did not live up to any expectations since 2005. This year, they were expected to make a serious run for the Big 10 title, and ended up barely over .500, or whatever they ended. They lost to Minnesota, Northwestern, and you name it. THAT is lackluster, considering the hype, the salary jump, and the team he had.

    During this same period is when all of the arrests have occurred, drug offenses, and now this.

    Tell me how I'm in error. I could care less about anything prior to 2005, as, to Iowans, that isn't relevaant to the current discussion about the Iowa program and its problems that I just noted.
    Last edited by ban basketball; 01-30-2011 at 12:55 PM.
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  7. #7

    Default Re: I've heard of over training but DAM

    They were 9-4 in 2008 and 11-2 in 2009. That is the last couple of years, unless you have inside information that it isn't. They ended up ranked 20th in 2008 and 7th in 2009. The 7th ranking was the 4th time they finished in the top ten under Ferentz. So, based on the two years prior to this year they did pretty darn good and he deserved a raise. Again, show me how you were correct in your statement about the last couple of years.

  8. #8

    Default Re: I've heard of over training but DAM

    Quote Originally Posted by quinn14 View Post
    They were 9-4 in 2008 and 11-2 in 2009. That is the last couple of years, unless you have inside information that it isn't. They ended up ranked 20th in 2008 and 7th in 2009. The 7th ranking was the 4th time they finished in the top ten under Ferentz. So, based on the two years prior to this year they did pretty darn good and he deserved a raise. Again, show me how you were correct in your statement about the last couple of years.
    Again, you don't live in Iowa; you don't know all that is going on and how Iowans, Hawkeye fans included, are feeling about it.

    The team is not living up to expectations. What you aren't taking into account is the culmination of everything: the lackluster seasons (this one especially), the drug arrests, the criminal arrests, and now the scandal with the 13 players. ALL of these things have led people to be very disappointed with this team.

    You cannot find one Iowa football fan who isn't concerned about all of these factors. As I said, this past football season was the most disappointing of all.

    Now, combine that with the fact that Iowans piss and moan about a state employee-which I am-earning $15/hour and getting some benefits thinking that they are being ripped off, yet they feel fine about paying $3.6 million dollars per year (highest paid state employee) for someone with those kinds of problems that are occuring, ultimately culminating in a bad season. FINALLY, people are beginning to think we're being ripped off, which we are.

    Now, with all that said, take it to Hawkeyenation from here onward and argue your point with Iowa homer football fans. You'll find that most side with what I'm saying. I, for one, couldn't care less about Iowa or their goof-assed football program, so I'm more than over and out on the pettiest fucking issue I've ever even had to contemplate with someone who doesn't even live in Iowa and understand what's going on.

    Much bigger fish to fry...
    UNI Panthers...Because it's just right.

  9. #9

    Default Re: I've heard of over training but DAM

    You still didn't prove that his past couple of seasons were lackluster. You are complaining about off field issues and if people are mad about that, then okay. But you said his past couple of seasons before he got a raise were lackluster and that is not true. He is the most successful "on-the-field" coach in the history of the program and that can be proven by looking at his team's success during his tenure. You just let your hatred of a school spill over into a statement that can not be backed up. And even though this season was lackluster in the regular season, they did beat the 12th ranked team in the nation in their bowl game and were 1 of only 3 Big Ten teams to win a bowl game this year.

    One last question. Why are you always frying such big fish?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •