Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
Results 37 to 45 of 93

Thread: The Philadelphia Phillies Vs the Tampa Bay Sting Rays

  1. #37

    Default Re: The Philadelphia Phillies Vs the Tampa Bay Sting Rays

    Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    This discussion begs an interesting question. Is it better to not come close to winning(like Dallas), or to repeatedly get agonizingly close and not be able to close the deal(like Philly)?
    Are you speaking of Super Bowls only, Zapp?

    If so, it is worse to never have won.
    Lets go Brent!

  2. #38

    Default Re: The Philadelphia Phillies Vs the Tampa Bay Sting Rays

    I just reread your post and you couldn't have been speaking of Super Bowls as Philly hasn't repeatedly got close to winning them, appearing in only 1 Superbowl in the past 28 years.

    Getting close to winning in the playoffs I take it was your point and in that case, Dallas has been extremely close, going down the the final seconds last year before losing by a small margin to the eventual Super Bowl champs. That was a close one, I believe even by yor own admission on the other site.

    They also lost a very cose game in Seattle where it looked like they would win, only to fall jsut short. Much like Philly over the past few years.
    Lets go Brent!

  3. #39

    Default Re: The Philadelphia Phillies Vs the Tampa Bay Sting Rays

    Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Oliverbush View Post
    Are you speaking of Super Bowls only, Zapp?

    If so, it is worse to never have won.
    I think he is speaking of Dallas who has not won a playoff game in the last 11 seasons.

  4. #40
    Super Moderator Zapp Brannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    8,269

    Default Re: The Philadelphia Phillies Vs the Tampa Bay Sting Rays

    Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Oliverbush View Post
    Are you speaking of Super Bowls only, Zapp?

    If so, it is worse to never have won.
    In essence, is it less painful to never really win anything but are fun to watch like, say, the Arizonz Cardinals, or to get repeatedly agonizingly close but never cose the deal like, say, the Eagles or Bills?
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

    One, two, Evans is coming for you...

  5. #41

    Default Re: The Philadelphia Phillies Vs the Tampa Bay Sting Rays

    Quote Originally Posted by p-jersey View Post
    I think he is speaking of Dallas who has not won a playoff game in the last 11 seasons.
    Couldn't have been talking about Dallas, he's talking about an event (Super bowl, Division title, Playoffs, etc) and Dallas has clearly been close in the playoffs and is your current NFC East Champs. The question seems to be flawed IMO.
    Lets go Brent!

  6. #42

    Default Re: The Philadelphia Phillies Vs the Tampa Bay Sting Rays

    Quote Originally Posted by p-jersey View Post
    I didnt know we were talking about 25 years I thought you were talking about in the recent years maybe even the past decade. In that case when you talk about the major sports there are many teams who have won championships and even playoff games and the cowboys are not one of them.

    Ill give it to you though Dallas had a great run in the early 90's so the cowboys have that to look back on during this rough dry spell of theirs.

    Yes, and those teams fans know what it feels to win those Championships. The point again being that you can go back 25 years and the City of Philadelphia cannot say they've experienced what other cities such as Dallas for example has experienced numerous times.
    Lets go Brent!

  7. #43

    Default Re: The Philadelphia Phillies Vs the Tampa Bay Sting Rays

    Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Oliverbush View Post
    Yes, and those teams fans know what it feels to win those Championships. The point again being that you can go back 25 years and the City of Philadelphia cannot say they've experienced what other cities such as Dallas for example has experienced numerous times.
    No argument from me there it has been a tough stretch. I was just laughing at loud at you including dallas in the recent wins group.

    Anyway Mr. Oliverbush it has been fun dueling but the Phillies are cruising right now so i need to go see them put the nail in the coffin. I will be back to resume this argument later. In the meantime you should go watch the best of the cowboys 92-95 im sure it will bring back some nice memories despite making the recent struggles of the cowboys that much more bitter.

  8. #44

    Default Re: The Philadelphia Phillies Vs the Tampa Bay Sting Rays

    I don't see where I included Dallas as having had enjoyed a championship recently. It's been 9 years since they last celebrated a world championship. But please point that out for me so we can discuss it. And yes, I better turn on the world series and see if the Phills can get this championship nailed down for their historic city (history/past).
    Last edited by Adolf Oliverbush; 10-26-2008 at 09:47 PM.
    Lets go Brent!

  9. #45

    Default Re: The Philadelphia Phillies Vs the Tampa Bay Sting Rays

    PJ, I just googled longest championship drought by a city and came up with Philadelphia as the answer.

    http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question74015.html

    Dallas on the other hand, has enjoyed 4 championships in the past 16 years, an average of 1 every 4 years. Unless you can produce some evidence to the contrary, I believe you have lost this argument miserably...but losing is something that you're inherently used to...
    Lets go Brent!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •