Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 9 of 30

Thread: Fishing!

  1. #1
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,968

    Default Fishing!

    We live right by a river with lots of fishermen and my five year old decided that he wanted to start fishing. He bugged me enough that I bought him and my daughter rod and reels and we have gone a few times and caught a few fish.
    I used to fish quite often when I was young, but the last time I went was probably thrity years ago. I am enjoying everything about the experience except for the fishing part. I am not so keen on impaling the worms and unhooking the fish (especially ones the have swallowed the hook).

    Anybody here use articificial bait that works. We are just trying to get little fish for the kids to have fun.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Fishing!

    I don't fish much anymore, but used to avidly. Two things I kept in my tackle box were a pair of stainless-steel needle-nose pliers for getting hooks out (especially good for "swallowed" treble hooks) and those canvas gloves with the rubber "pebbles" to improve the grip. A particularly active fish called for the gloves - they made a world of difference, especially with something slimey like a catfish.
    As for artificial bait and lures - what are your target fish?

    R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Fishing!

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    We live right by a river with lots of fishermen and my five year old decided that he wanted to start fishing. He bugged me enough that I bought him and my daughter rod and reels and we have gone a few times and caught a few fish.
    I used to fish quite often when I was young, but the last time I went was probably thrity years ago. I am enjoying everything about the experience except for the fishing part. I am not so keen on impaling the worms and unhooking the fish (especially ones the have swallowed the hook).

    Anybody here use articificial bait that works. We are just trying to get little fish for the kids to have fun.
    Not knowing the particular fish in your river (assuming it's supporting a wide variety), I would suggest the following for a decent "all-around" tackle.

    Small (0 - 3) mepps are what I put on the little guy's pole. 0-1 are the safest bet for keeping the fish small. I caught a 40in musky last week on a #3 (gold spinner) while fishing smallmouth bass, so you might want to avoid that (although that is obviously a rare hit on a mepps, even in the Chippewa River)

    Depending on the darkness of the water, you may want to use either a Gold or Silver spinner- I'm not big on the multi-colored varieties, but that doesn't mean they don't work... just don't for me..

    I am also partial to "sassy shads" and any type of cheap twistertail with a jig. All of these are solid for river fishing.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Fishing!

    Depends on the fish... I agree with Schlottke though. A decent variety of small to medium sized spinners, spoons, and rubber jigs are a good bet. Big spoons or rapalas if you're going for pike or other bigger fish.

    Schlottke, I'm jealous of your 40 inch musky. I've never caught one (they don't live where I do) But I've caught a few pike over 35 inches, am gonna try to catch another one tomorrow.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Fishing!

    Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    Depends on the fish... I agree with Schlottke though. A decent variety of small to medium sized spinners, spoons, and rubber jigs are a good bet. Big spoons or rapalas if you're going for pike or other bigger fish.

    Schlottke, I'm jealous of your 40 inch musky. I've never caught one (they don't live where I do) But I've caught a few pike over 35 inches, am gonna try to catch another one tomorrow.
    Its a spot I have hit since I was a little guy- flows south of the Chippewa Flowage about 20 miles.. wonderful spot for big Musky and northern. I couldn't believe he just gave up after about 4-5 minutes- I thought he'd certainly break the line (8pound mono, no leader)

  6. #6

    Default Re: Fishing!

    Quote Originally Posted by Schlottke View Post
    Not knowing the particular fish in your river (assuming it's supporting a wide variety), I would suggest the following for a decent "all-around" tackle.

    Small (0 - 3) mepps are what I put on the little guy's pole. 0-1 are the safest bet for keeping the fish small. I caught a 40in musky last week on a #3 (gold spinner) while fishing smallmouth bass, so you might want to avoid that (although that is obviously a rare hit on a mepps, even in the Chippewa River)

    Depending on the darkness of the water, you may want to use either a Gold or Silver spinner- I'm not big on the multi-colored varieties, but that doesn't mean they don't work... just don't for me..

    I am also partial to "sassy shads" and any type of cheap twistertail with a jig. All of these are solid for river fishing.
    Your musky story made me laugh - I took two catfish out of our lake while fishing for bass - both on mepps spinners. One was over 20 pounds, the other about 12. I caught them within 15 minutes of each other, about 25 yards apart. Never caught another catfish on an artificial lure in the years and years I fished there.

    R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

  7. #7
    Olympic Champ RYou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    8,376

    Default Re: Fishing!

    Since you are up in Mew Hapshire, your probably looking at Brookies and Smallmouth Bass in the rivers among some bluegills, perch, pickeral, walleye, a cat or two and likely some lazy carp.

    The small Mepps will work for the Brookies, perch, pickeral, walleye and bass. A yellow or pink (little girls love'm) roostertail will work too. Fot the others, try pizza dough with canned corn mixed in. Big wads for the big cats and carp, little bits on small hooks for the bluegill, perch, little cats and carp. it's not an attractive to trout, pickeral and walleye.

    Let us know what nearby and we'll give you some other ideas.
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Fishing!

    Make your wife really happy - get some stink bait for the refrigerator. It is also really good when it's been forgotten under the seat of the car for 3 or 4 hot summer days. Waaaaaay better than worms for winning a woman's heart!

    R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Fishing!

    I wouldn't start them with lures yet. I taught both of my daughters to fish and am working on the grandkids. Kids that age have a real hard time developing the feel that it takes to hook a fish with an artificial. My experience with them is that they learn the visual cue of a good ol' bobber much more easily. If you want them to have fun (i.e. catch fish) let them take the easy route for a couple of years.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •