Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Klitschko retains title

  1. #1
    Olympic Champ r.payton@att.net's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Danville .Indiana
    Posts
    8,718

    Default Klitschko retains title

    the most impressive thing to me about the big K is he took Kasparov to 43 moves in a chess match -not only is he dominate in a brutal sport he is a master of a cerbral one as well -Kasprov has defended his title in less than 25 moves before -Klitschko is truly a renaissance man .

  2. #2

    Default Re: Klitschko retains title

    Quote Originally Posted by r.payton@att.net View Post
    the most impressive thing to me about the big K is he took Kasparov to 43 moves in a chess match -not only is he dominate in a brutal sport he is a master of a cerbral one as well -Kasprov has defended his title in less than 25 moves before -Klitschko is truly a renaissance man .
    I saw the fight. Hard for me to be a Klitchko fan. I think he is average at best. Heavyweight division is weak and getting weaker. I am thinking an average fighter from the late 70's early 80's heyday of heavyweight boxing would have made quick work of Klitschko.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Klitschko retains title

    Quote Originally Posted by maj View Post
    I saw the fight. Hard for me to be a Klitchko fan. I think he is average at best. Heavyweight division is weak and getting weaker. I am thinking an average fighter from the late 70's early 80's heyday of heavyweight boxing would have made quick work of Klitschko.

    Give me some names of some of those average fighters from 20-30 years ago. The size and range of Klitchko would give any average fightger fits. Really curious to here your list of guys who would be competitive, let alone make quick work of the current champ.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Klitschko retains title

    Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Oliverbush View Post
    Give me some names of some of those average fighters from 20-30 years ago. The size and range of Klitchko would give any average fightger fits. Really curious to here your list of guys who would be competitive, let alone make quick work of the current champ.
    " average " may have been a bit of an exageration but I don't think Klitschko could have lasted with Ernie Shavers, Ron Lyle, John Tate, Greg Page, Leon Spinks, or Gerry Cooney. I have my doubts whether he could have handled Coetzee and several other south Africans from the era, journeymen like Scott Lediuex, and Jerry Quarry would likely have given Klitschko all he could handle too. The very best guys from the era, Ali, Fraizer, Norton, Foremen, Holmes, Hollyfield would have mopped the floor with your Russian. A young pre crack up Tyson would have retired Klitschko long ago.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Klitschko retains title

    I was boxing (non competitively) during that era and being a big man myself, I idolized some of the men you mentioned. Larry Holmes would have been at the top of the list for me. The Easton Assassin was my favorite do to his mastery of the jab and his resiliency/championship heart.

    I don't agree with your prediction, but I'll agree to disagree with you. Although I don't believe that Klitschko would have beaten the ultra elite of that era, he certainly would have been in the thick of things with the next tier down and on the winning side more often than not.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Klitschko retains title

    Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Oliverbush View Post
    I was boxing (non competitively) during that era and being a big man myself, I idolized some of the men you mentioned. Larry Holmes would have been at the top of the list for me. The Easton Assassin was my favorite do to his mastery of the jab and his resiliency/championship heart.

    I don't agree with your prediction, but I'll agree to disagree with you. Although I don't believe that Klitschko would have beaten the ultra elite of that era, he certainly would have been in the thick of things with the next tier down and on the winning side more often than not.
    Holmes one of my favorites too. Hard to compare athletes from different eras but as a whole I think boxing is in deep trouble. If you are the same vintage as I am (49) then I think we saw the best boxing ever in the 70's and 80's. Klitschko is a physical specimen but to me there is something missing. I am not sure he has it upstairs or as the oldtimers were fond of saying , maybe has a weak left tit. He didn't look bad last night though the real test for Klitschko is how he handles getting hit hard.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Klitschko retains title

    I'm 56 years of age and I've actually been up at Smokin Joe Frazier's gym as well as in around the Old Olympic in Los Angeles. Lots of good guys fought there and trained near by. I agree on Klitschko misssing something. He seems a little slow, although we know that he's a very intelligent guy.

    I'm still waiting for that time machine to be invented as I'd love to see how he'd do against the Gerry Cooneys, Henry Akenwande's and Michael Dokes. I can conceed he's not ready for the Ali's, Holmes or Foreman's of the world.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Klitschko retains title

    Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Oliverbush View Post
    I'm 56 years of age and I've actually been up at Smokin Joe Frazier's gym as well as in around the Old Olympic in Los Angeles. Lots of good guys fought there and trained near by. I agree on Klitschko misssing something. He seems a little slow, although we know that he's a very intelligent guy.

    I'm still waiting for that time machine to be invented as I'd love to see how he'd do against the Gerry Cooneys, Henry Akenwande's and Michael Dokes. I can conceed he's not ready for the Ali's, Holmes or Foreman's of the world.
    I guess we are pretty close in assessing Mr Klitschko's ability. We will see what the future holds for him. A couple of potentially interesting fights were mentioned after the telecast of his last fight. Boxing better do something to get the match ups people want, top fighters need to fight more often, and not worry so much about protecting undefeated records or the sport is going to continue losing viewers to MMA and the like.

    I would have loved to have gone to the Philly gyms in the Frazier days.

  9. #9
    Olympic Champ r.payton@att.net's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Danville .Indiana
    Posts
    8,718

    Default Re: Klitschko retains title

    Personally / Boxing quality has fallen greatly over the years because of the slugs whorun it -not just Don King-although there is a man who oozes slime -but the general 'take a dive'' in the 4th guys -Larry Holmes won his last fight easily yet lost it on the scorecard-no way a black man was going to take the record away from a Italian American-I woder why ?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •