Channeling my best Georges St. Pierre I was not impressed with EliteXC's performance.
- Gus Johnson was a little raw around the edges, but I still thought he was phenomenal. He got excited at the right times, and he let Mauro and Shamrock do their thing at the right times. I thought it was a good call having him conduct the after the fight interviews. He does need to clean up on some terminology, but he's new at this.
- Mauro irritates me, and he always has. Frank Shamrock did a good job, in my opinion it would have been a better booth with just him and Gus.
- The intros, and the dancing ramp whores were ridiculous. I've always been a fan of the more understated UFC entrances anyway. If you're going to make the entrances WWE esque at least go the whole way like Pride did and don't try and split the difference like they did tonight.
- Save for the stoppage, and the idiot fans who constantly booed the Lawler v. Smith fight was the highlight of the night. Smith and Lawler were about the only two fighters on the card who looked like they could have some success in the UFC. Both of the first two rounds were close, I think Lawler won the first round, and Smith did just enough to steal the second. Before the thumb to the eye Robbie was winning the third. I can't fathom why the ring Doc didn't give Smith his five. His eye wasn't even red.
- Carano was the only other fighter on the card that impressed me. She more or less beat Kaitlin Young's ass. The gogo attempt was pretty cool in the first round, the announcers of course missed it. She did a nice job picking her apart with the jab, and inflicting damage with the front kicks. If she decides that she actually wants to be a professional fighter (and this entails making weight) she can definitely do a lot for the sport.
- My DVR cut out before the main event so I had to Youtube it I didn't expect much, and it didn't disappoint the fight was ugly. Dana asserted this week that BJ Penn would beat Kimbo, dude is right. A fighter with better GnP than Thompson's pitter patter would have finished the fight. As far as the ending goes the stoppage was poor, Thompson definitely got rocked by the flurry, he probably wasn't done yet but between that and the ear whatever. The fact that I couldn't have cared less about who won the fight probably contributes to my "whatever" attitude about the stoppage. Thompson needs to come in prepared, he can't have his ear blown up like that.
- Bring on Faber v. Pulver, and UFC 85.