Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 10 to 18 of 35

Thread: Dana White on EliteXC

  1. #10

    Default Re: Dana White on EliteXC

    I think you guys are naive if you think White and the UFC do not do the same kindof thing. Guys get cut if they are boring, guys get huge bonuses if they get knockouts, guys dont get title shots or get put on undercards if they are not exciting. Guys are going out of their way to mention that they are willing to stand and want to knock the guy out even if they are not even known as strikers. There is no doubt in my mind Joe Silva and White tell the managers and the fighters if they want big pay days, main card fights, and title fights they better be exciting and that typically means stand up fights.

    I know Machida and Okami were both told they need to be more exciting and push the action more.

  2. #11
    Super Moderator Zapp Brannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    8,269

    Default Re: Dana White on EliteXC

    Quote Originally Posted by p-jersey View Post
    I think you guys are naive if you think White and the UFC do not do the same kindof thing. Guys get cut if they are boring, guys get huge bonuses if they get knockouts, guys dont get title shots or get put on undercards if they are not exciting. Guys are going out of their way to mention that they are willing to stand and want to knock the guy out even if they are not even known as strikers. There is no doubt in my mind Joe Silva and White tell the managers and the fighters if they want big pay days, main card fights, and title fights they better be exciting and that typically means stand up fights.

    I know Machida and Okami were both told they need to be more exciting and push the action more.
    "Trying to finish fights" is different then limiting very important parts of MMA, i.e. the ground game. The UFC bonus for KO of the Night is the same as the bonus for Submission of the Night. Doesn't seem like the UFC is trying to affect where a fight takes place.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

    One, two, Evans is coming for you...

  3. #12

    Default Re: Dana White on EliteXC

    Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    "Trying to finish fights" is different then limiting very important parts of MMA, i.e. the ground game. The UFC bonus for KO of the Night is the same as the bonus for Submission of the Night. Doesn't seem like the UFC is trying to affect where a fight takes place.
    I think they are encouraging stand up fights though.

  4. #13
    Super Moderator Zapp Brannigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    8,269

    Default Re: Dana White on EliteXC

    Quote Originally Posted by p-jersey View Post
    I think they are encouraging stand up fights though.
    Well...that would appear to be conjecture.
    Jacob Schlottke---Gone too soon, and the world is a little less bright because of it. RIP, brother.

    One, two, Evans is coming for you...

  5. #14

    Default Re: Dana White on EliteXC

    Quote Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
    Well...that would appear to be conjecture.
    Obviously but I think there is a lot of evidence that points to that being true. The UFC brass is smart enough to not come out and say they specifically encourage guys to stand but from past actions and listening to guys talk it sounds as if their is a lot of pressure to stand and bang.

  6. #15

    Default Re: Dana White on EliteXC

    You're wrong PJ. The UFC wants exciting fights and makes no distinction of where the fight needs to take place. The UFC has a bonuses for both KO and submission of the night. Keep in mind there are virtually no standing submissions, while there are plenty of KO's that end from ground work. One could make a case that having both those bonuses encourages more ground work. I don't have the stats in front of me, but common snese would dictate that there is a better chance of a KO of the night happening on the ground than a sub of the night happening standing.

    But with all of that said, the point here is that these guys tried to get a fighter to abandon an aspect of his game in order to achieve the result they wanted to see. The UFC makes no distinction what so ever. The be exciting= stand up fighting theory goes out the window when you consider some of the guys UFc has brought in with huge salaries such as Lesnar (ground guy), Minotauro (ground guy), Randy (ground guy).
    Lets go Brent!

  7. #16

    Default Re: Dana White on EliteXC

    Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Oliverbush View Post
    You're wrong PJ. The UFC wants exciting fights and makes no distinction of where the fight needs to take place. The UFC has a bonuses for both KO and submission of the night. Keep in mind there are virtually no standing submissions, while there are plenty of KO's that end from ground work. One could make a case that having both those bonuses encourages more ground work. I don't have the stats in front of me, but common snese would dictate that there is a better chance of a KO of the night happening on the ground than a sub of the night happening standing.

    But with all of that said, the point here is that these guys tried to get a fighter to abandon an aspect of his game in order to achieve the result they wanted to see. The UFC makes no distinction what so ever. The be exciting= stand up fighting theory goes out the window when you consider some of the guys UFc has brought in with huge salaries such as Lesnar (ground guy), Minotauro (ground guy), Randy (ground guy).
    I do not recall any ground fights receiving Ko of the night so I do not think it is more likely.

    I understand they have guys that are ground fighters but so does elitxc including two of their champs one of which is the ww poster boy.

    in this specific fight Elitexc encouraged a standup fight so that it would be an exciting stylisitc matchup. Of course I can not prove that UFC encourages fighters to specifically stand but I have seen and read enough to believe they do in fact prefer and encourage it.

  8. #17

    Default Re: Dana White on EliteXC

    although i do agree with what he says for the most part i have to say anyone who puts the trash that is TUF on tv shouldn't say a fucking word about being true to mma, representing the sport and the good people in it,,,, jmo

  9. #18

    Default Re: Dana White on EliteXC

    Quote Originally Posted by p-jersey View Post
    I do not recall any ground fights receiving Ko of the night so I do not think it is more likely.

    I understand they have guys that are ground fighters but so does elitxc including two of their champs one of which is the ww poster boy.

    in this specific fight Elitexc encouraged a standup fight so that it would be an exciting stylisitc matchup. Of course I can not prove that UFC encourages fighters to specifically stand but I have seen and read enough to believe they do in fact prefer and encourage it.

    PJ you say Elite XC encouraged a stand up fight because they wanted it to be exciting, as if you know that that was the reason. Did they also encourage stand up fights in the other fights, or were those not interfered with? Unless everyone was encouraged to stand, then it is clear that it was done to gain a favorable match up for Kimbo.

    As far as what's more likely, sub of the night standing or ko of the night on the ground, simply ask yourself where more of these finishes take place. If you watch any MMA at all, you know that a good portion of fights that end on the ground end via G & P ko, while only a couple that I can think of ever ended via standing submission. If you still don't get it, it's that you don't want to get it.
    Lets go Brent!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •