REMINDER: Strikeforce To Make ?Big? Announcement Today
Although the organization has yet to officially confirm much in regards to their highly anticipated April event, it was reported during Friday night?s ?Strikeforce Challengers VI? show that fans can expect to hear a ?big? announcement on today.*
With the rumor mill swirling wilder than ever in regards to the San Jose-based firm?s potential moves, here?s a breakdown of what?s known, unknown and more...
* ? On Thursday, M-1 Global confirmed*Fedor Emelianenko will not participate in Strikeforce?s April show, but are still expects to face Fabricio Werdrum for the company in a yet-to-be-announced May extravaganza.
* ? Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker confirmed the organization will indeed host an Apr. 17 card in Nashville, TN, not the 24th.
?We will be having a fight in Nashville on April 17, but the rest of the information we?ll be announcing next week,?*Coker told MMAFighting.com *Thursday. ?April 24 Showtime is having a big boxing fight so I know we won?t be having a fight on the 24th.?
* ?*Sherdog.com reported on Friday that CBS will in fact broadcast the April card and that a middleweight title fight between champ Jake Shields and Dan Henderson will be the featured bout inside the Sommet Center in Nashville.
* -* Multiple outlets are reporting that former Heisman Trophy winner Herschel Walker has been added to the April card as well.
* ? Strikeforce will make a ?big? announcement regarding their upcoming schedule on Monday.
Clearly, an All-American middleweight title fight isn?t box office enough for a primetime mixed martial arts event, so...
* ? Will Gegard Mousasi co-headline the CBS telecast and defend his light heavyweight title against Muhammed ?King Mo? Lawal as has been heavily rumored?
* ? Will Shinya Aoki make his U.S. debut and challenge Gilbert Melendez for this 155-pound Strikeforce title?
* ? Is Brett Rogers going to put his humbling loss to Emelianenko behind him and make back-to-back appearances on CBS?
?For Brett, I think the fights that make sense for him are Antonio Silva or Alistair Overeem ? those are the two guys I?d like to see him fight right now,? Coker said. ?I think you?ll see Aoki relatively soon. We?re working hard to try to make that happen.?
* ? Is Strikeforce planting the seed for a 2010 pay-per-view debut that would feature a blockbuster heavyweight scrap between reigning champ Overeem and Emelianenko?
?We have a different business model than the UFC does in the pay-per-view television business,? Coker said. ?We?re very happy with Showtime and free television on CBS. But before the end of the year, in the fourth quarter, we?ll definitely have a fight on pay-per-view.
?Stay tuned. We?re getting things worked out and we?ll probably have some big announcements next week.?
We?re still waiting, Scotty...
Tags for this Thread