Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast
Results 100 to 108 of 206

Thread: The pressures of performance enhancing drugs in the world of mma.

  1. #100

    Default Re: The pressures of performance enhancing drugs in the world of mma.

    Im pretty sure the guys named are doing it, but I can understand it, if you want to stay relevent in the UFC, you kinda have too, especially with the injuries that fighters get, the need to get back in there quickly, theres an old saying "out of sight, out of mind"

    If I was trying to get into the UFC, I probably would be using some stuff. Ive done some stuff in the past(long long ago) and i can say firsthand that it helps.
    Like Billy Jacks' soul attack, I'm one Injun you wont forget.

    www.euromitsu.com

  2. #101

    Default Re: The pressures of performance enhancing drugs in the world of mma.

    I have a question, why is no one expressing outrage over the seemingly widespread performance enhancing drug use in MMA? I think we're pretty much all in agreement that it's happening and not every last guy does it, so there is definitely some major disadvantaged competitors out there. Shouldn't we be up in arms and disgusted with the sport we like and support so much? I'm asking myself that question and I think that I find myself desensitized because so many others are doing it in other sports. It kind of hits me like oh well, another guy is using the stuff, what else is new today?

    There have been several UFC high profile competitors busted, Sherk during his title reign, Hermes, Sherk's opponent, Barnet in his title winning effort over Couture, hell even Royce Gracie. They serve their suspensions and they resume fighting. What has to happen in order to cause a major crack down? I understand that some stuff you can't test for, I get that, but someone has to care about all the doping going on. Am I being naive here?
    Lets go Brent!

  3. #102

    Default Re: The pressures of performance enhancing drugs in the world of mma.

    Honestly I dont think its that people are desensitized i think its that people really dont care. Everyone pretty much knew it was going on in baseball as guys suddenly got huge, homeruns increased dramatically, and attendance numbers broke records. People loved it but claimed ignorance and now that baseball is exposed people have to pretend to be upset.

    Football is the most popular sport in the country by far yet maybe 2 percent of the guys in the league arent on something. People dont care if guys are on it they just want their team to win.

    I think it goes back to puppeteers point that if it was available in other outlets to help with work performance people know they would take it as well. People do whatever it takes to get by, and the people watching the sport are no different than the people participating in the sport.

  4. #103

    Default Re: The pressures of performance enhancing drugs in the world of mma.

    Quote Originally Posted by p-jersey View Post
    Honestly I dont think its that people are desensitized i think its that people really dont care. Everyone pretty much knew it was going on in baseball as guys suddenly got huge, homeruns increased dramatically, and attendance numbers broke records. People loved it but claimed ignorance and now that baseball is exposed people have to pretend to be upset.

    Football is the most popular sport in the country by far yet maybe 2 percent of the guys in the league arent on something. People dont care if guys are on it they just want their team to win.

    I think it goes back to puppeteers point that if it was available in other outlets to help with work performance people know they would take it as well. People do whatever it takes to get by, and the people watching the sport are no different than the people participating in the sport.
    thats it right there.
    Like Billy Jacks' soul attack, I'm one Injun you wont forget.

    www.euromitsu.com

  5. #104

    Default Re: The pressures of performance enhancing drugs in the world of mma.

    Puppeteer seemed to have no problem with it at all and even provided another view for us in which to look at it.
    Lets go Brent!

  6. #105

    Default Re: The pressures of performance enhancing drugs in the world of mma.

    Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Oliverbush View Post
    Puppeteer seemed to have no problem with it at all and even provided another view for us in which to look at it.
    Yes puppeteer had some flawed logic in his posts but he made some good points that I do agree with.

  7. #106

    Default Re: The pressures of performance enhancing drugs in the world of mma.

    Quote Originally Posted by p-jersey View Post
    I think it goes back to puppeteers point that if it was available in other outlets to help with work performance people know they would take it as well. People do whatever it takes to get by, and the people watching the sport are no different than the people participating in the sport.
    I haven't read this whole thread, so if this has already been mentioned I'm sorry. Has anyone here seen the documentary 'Bigger, Stronger, Faster'? It makes the same point that if there's a pill that makes you better at your job, everyone from classical musicians to porn stars are going to take it.
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

  8. #107

    Default Re: The pressures of performance enhancing drugs in the world of mma.

    Quote Originally Posted by FloggingSully View Post
    I haven't read this whole thread, so if this has already been mentioned I'm sorry. Has anyone here seen the documentary 'Bigger, Stronger, Faster'? It makes the same point that if there's a pill that makes you better at your job, everyone from classical musicians to porn stars are going to take it.
    Ive been wanting to see that doc, but havent gotten around to it just yet.
    Like Billy Jacks' soul attack, I'm one Injun you wont forget.

    www.euromitsu.com

  9. #108
    Olympic Champ clmetal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Philthadelphia, South America
    Posts
    2,753

    Default Re: The pressures of performance enhancing drugs in the world of mma.

    Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Oliverbush View Post
    I have a question, why is no one expressing outrage over the seemingly widespread performance enhancing drug use in MMA? I think we're pretty much all in agreement that it's happening and not every last guy does it, so there is definitely some major disadvantaged competitors out there. Shouldn't we be up in arms and disgusted with the sport we like and support so much? I'm asking myself that question and I think that I find myself desensitized because so many others are doing it in other sports. It kind of hits me like oh well, another guy is using the stuff, what else is new today?

    There have been several UFC high profile competitors busted, Sherk during his title reign, Hermes, Sherk's opponent, Barnet in his title winning effort over Couture, hell even Royce Gracie. They serve their suspensions and they resume fighting. What has to happen in order to cause a major crack down? I understand that some stuff you can't test for, I get that, but someone has to care about all the doping going on. Am I being naive here?

    The only one of the ones you listed that could be considered current and relevant is Sherk and the way Sherk contested his positive results and everyone crapped on California's approach made some people feel less than 100% positive about the results. It put doubt in my mind. Baroni also tested positive in Cali - we know he would never do that.

    A person without knowledge would say "everyone gets tested, therefore they must be clean." The ACs have to bust these guys and the UFC also needs to show zero tolerance. Although Barnett was punished by the UFC back when 10g people attended each event, Sherk, Karo, Sanchez, Sylvia tested positive more recently and the UFC didn't hammer them - Tim didn't lose his belt and Gan was still dropped by the UFC for losing (I know you won't disagree with Dana, but think about that - losing a title shot to a roided opponent and you get dropped).

    One of the mma writers (Meltzer maybe) also said that the UFC tried to hide Sanchez's positive test (weed) and that they claim they conduct internal testing in the UK (since a sanctioning body doesn't do it) but they won't share those results.
    "I don?t give a f_ck about money, bro. Believe me when I tell you that." Dana White

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •