The rumors as to who would coach the upcoming season of the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s reality television program The Ultimate Fighter were rampant earlier in the month of December.

Would television viewers see a team coached by Brock Lesnar face a team led by Frank Mir? Maybe it would be a team Wanderlei Silva versus team Chael Sonnen? Or how about two teams coached by World Extreme Cagefighting alum?

UFC president Dana White had said that he would name the coaches by Friday Dec. 17; he didn’t.

It seems certain that Lesnar and Mir are out of the running for the Las Vegas based show, since Mir has reportedly signed to fight Brendan Schaub early in 2011. It also seems unlikely that the UFC will pursue Sonnen, as he is suspended and the Nevada State Athletic Commission has implied that they are likely to make things difficult for Sonnen when he applies for a Nevada license.

The WEC rumor seems to be the most likely scenario at this point.

There are two possibilities that exist as of now. The first has newly minted UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz facing off against the only man to have defeated him in his career, Urijah Faber.

MMAJunkie.com spoke to Cruz about the possibility of facing off against “The California Kid.” “I would accept it very much, and I’d be stoked, and it would be awesome because I would get my loss back,” said Cruz. “An opportunity like that, I might have to deal with the hand again.”

Cruz has a hand injury that he was hoping to address soon, but the chance to coach and then fight against Faber may see Cruz delay his surgery.

The other possibility making the rounds is Miguel Torres against Faber. Fighters Only recently reported that Torres has been contacted regarding his interest in coaching one of the teams.

Either way, at this point it appears as if the next season of TUF will feature two of the WEC’s biggest stars.