Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 9 of 12

Thread: What's in HS wrestling's future?

  1. #1

    Default What's in HS wrestling's future?

    With gas topping $4.00 gal and still climbing (While oil companies post record profits), how long will it be before high school wrestling is adversely affected?

    Realigned leagues to cut down on travel?

    Schools with incomplete teams dropping wrestling rather than transporting 5 wrestlers 40 miles and back to wrestle a team that also has only 5 wrestlers?

    Some major tournaments cancelled for lack of participation?

    More paid coaching cuts?

    Are there bleak days ahead? And what will that do to the already dwindling college programs?
    Things won are done; joy's soul lies in the doing.
    William Shakespeare, Troilus and Cressida, Act 1, Scene 2

  2. #2

    Default Re: What's in HS wrestling's future?

    The sky is not falling.

    Youth wrestling is becoming larger than ever. As parents become more involved, they will drive the schools to support the sport. More money will result in more programs. More programs will create more success internationally...ect.

  3. #3
    Olympic Champ therick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    2,052

    Default Re: What's in HS wrestling's future?

    I wouldn't be surprised if some teams eliminate trips to places like Iron Man, Clash, Beast, etc. in favor of local tournaments. For example, Ohio teams will simply go to IM and not beast......Eastern PA schools may simply go to Beast and skip IM. Not saying that it'll happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if we saw less travel by teams in the coming years.

    I'll second what spartansd says and say that wrestling at the scholastic level is still growing and will continue to do so for some time now.

  4. #4

    Default Re: What's in HS wrestling's future?

    I personally can't see the top ranked teams not attending the major tourney's.

  5. #5

    Default Re: What's in HS wrestling's future?

    Quote Originally Posted by legridder155 View Post
    I personally can't see the top ranked teams not attending the major tourney's.
    Most of the "top ranked teams" are private schools or schools with an unbelievable budget and backing by there boosters. None of the top tier programs will be affected but I wouldn't doubt seeing average teams staying a lot more local.

  6. #6
    Olympic Champ therick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    2,052

    Default Re: What's in HS wrestling's future?

    Quote Originally Posted by RD149-2 View Post
    Most of the "top ranked teams" are private schools or schools with an unbelievable budget and backing by there boosters. None of the top tier programs will be affected but I wouldn't doubt seeing average teams staying a lot more local.

    My thoughts exactly. Some of the top tier programs here in Ohio have already taken steps to limit their travel, by not driving all the way to Delaware. There isn't much of an up side to traveling all the way out there for an Ohio team that can just as easily attend IM, and follow that up with Brecksville, or MIT and see a similar level of competition without leaving the state and in many cases, without traveling more than an hour.
    Last edited by therick; 05-30-2008 at 05:19 PM.

  7. #7

    Default Re: What's in HS wrestling's future?

    deep run will be the number 1 state in Va no doubt about it there lower weights are unstoppable and they will kill
    Last edited by Schlottke; 05-29-2008 at 01:29 PM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: What's in HS wrestling's future?

    Actually, the sky isn't falling but the costs are rising so it may meet somewhere in the middle. I definitely see this as a somewhat major impediment to a lot of kids.

    It's nasty out there and if the choice of a parent is paying a bill or taking Johnny to a tournament 90 miles away-they will pay the bill. The rising price of gas and heating oil is a serious problem and it affects all aspects of life.

  9. #9

    Default Re: What's in HS wrestling's future?

    Quote Originally Posted by washed up wrestler View Post
    Actually, the sky isn't falling but the costs are rising so it may meet somewhere in the middle. I definitely see this as a somewhat major impediment to a lot of kids.

    It's nasty out there and if the choice of a parent is paying a bill or taking Johnny to a tournament 90 miles away-they will pay the bill. The rising price of gas and heating oil is a serious problem and it affects all aspects of life.
    That's kids club, and the numbers of kids wrestling in tourney's don't support that.

    It'll be nice though when we get this "Oil man" out of the office and get someone and their administration in who aren't so closely linked with oil. Perhaps the greatest nation in the history of the world can solve this MINOR issue.
    "The true and present danger to America is conservatism!" -Abraham Lincoln

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •