Hawaii HS Team Rankings
2008-2009 Preseason Team Ranking
- The two time defending State Champions should once again be the dominant team in the state. The BuffanBlue lost 5 State Place finishers, plus two prior State finalist who didn?t compete in States. But they are not rebuilding as much as reloading as they return 7 State place finishers and had an ILH JV Champion backing up every lost wrestler. So expect strong wrestlers in every spot of the line-up.
One time powerhouses Kahuku, Iolani, and Saint Louis, will continue their decline.
- Lahainaluna. The Lunas should return another strong and deep team. However, losses of Okano and Casco leave the Lunas without a dominant wrestler at the State level.
- Kamehameha. The Warriors have several top notch young wrestlers. However, they lack the team depth of Punahou or Lahainaluna.
- Kaiser. The Cougars will dominate a weak OIA east. But, like in 2008, most wrestlers will drop out in the early rounds of states.
- Pearl City, 6)Aiea, and 7) Baldwin. Expect strong showings from these up and coming programs.
The Individual Rankings will come out after the Early Season Tournaments.
- The Lady Raiders loss 3 State Finalist, and will not have a dominant team. I expect a tight race at States between Kahuku and the ILH teams. Kahuku gets the nod for the pre-season top spot based on the historical strength of their program.
- Punahou. The BuffanBlue return 7 of 8 wrestlers, they add to this a strong group of Freshman, who should have immediate impact. They will likely have gaps in the upper weight classes.
- Iolani. With two returning State Champions and team depth. Iolani is a contender. They will need some wrestlers to step up and place at States to take the Championship.
- Kamehmeha. The Warriors have a balanced team but lack the number of top tier wrestlers of the top programs.
- Campbell, 6) Pearl City, 7) Kapolei, 8) Baldwin
Tags for this Thread