Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Dave Schultz HS award

  1. #1

    Default Dave Schultz HS award

    David Taylor, Logan Stieber, can Chris Phillips make it 3 in a row for Ohio?!?!?

  2. #2
    Administrator Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    5,188

    Default Re: Dave Schultz HS award

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Shirtaugh View Post
    David Taylor, Logan Stieber, can Chris Phillips make it 3 in a row for Ohio?!?!?
    Maybe Phillips, but I don't think I'd say he's the front runner at this point. He hasn't faced or sought out any competition in a long time. I don't say that to knock the guy, it's just the way it is. His best win is still against Brian Roddy in the first tournament of his freshman year. I think he'll need to wrestle freestyle this summer or win a stacked Ironman bracket (especially if it includes McIntosh) if he wants to win any of those awards.


  3. #3

    Default Re: Dave Schultz HS award

    Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    Maybe Phillips, but I don't think I'd say he's the front runner at this point. He hasn't faced or sought out any competition in a long time. I don't say that to knock the guy, it's just the way it is. His best win is still against Brian Roddy in the first tournament of his freshman year. I think he'll need to wrestle freestyle this summer or win a stacked Ironman bracket (especially if it includes McIntosh) if he wants to win any of those awards.
    Thanks for pointing that out Gold. I was just wondering whether Phillips had been in any big tournaments lately, as I haven't heard his name much on the national level (other than his ranking).

  4. #4
    Administrator Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    5,188

    Default Re: Dave Schultz HS award

    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out Gold. I was just wondering whether Phillips had been in any big tournaments lately, as I haven't heard his name much on the national level (other than his ranking).
    He dominated Fargo cadets after his freshman year. Since then the only off-season tournament he's been to is Disney Duals last year. This year he was injured in the first or second round of Ironman, so he didn't see any tough competition there. He did have a pretty good opponent in the state finals, but that's it. You can't really see if he's improved at all.

    Still a great recruit and an incredible wrestler nonetheless.


  5. #5

    Default Re: Dave Schultz HS award

    It was meaningful (to me) that Phillips did not join the other three Monroeville wrestlers on Ohio's (victorious) Junior Duals team.

    Does he march to the beat of a different drummer? I have always been puzzled by folks automatically pencilling him into TOSU's lineup.


    Now we read speculation that he may not even wrestle in college.

    The two features of the man, when I have watched him, that stick out to me are:
    1. He has FUN wrestling.
    2. He RESPECTS his opponents.

    It's hard for me to find fault whatever he decides.
    DSCH: a Soviet artist's reply to unjust criticism.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •