Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 10 to 18 of 22

Thread: Girls Pre-season High School Rankings

  1. #10
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,962

    Default Re: Girls Pre-season High School Rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by gg121and2 View Post
    I only see one girl from Iowa. This state has to wake up when it comes to girls wrestling!!!!
    What going on there in Iowa?
    I notice Maine(!) had six girls on the list, maybe we can take them off the short list of worst wrestling states looking at all styles of wrestling.

  2. #11

    Default Re: Girls Pre-season High School Rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    Question: Does HS Girl's wrestling use FS or Folkstyle rules? What about College?
    As I understand it. Girls High School Wrestling is Folkstyle, College Wrestling is Freestyle.

  3. #12

    Default Re: Girls Pre-season High School Rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    Question: Does HS Girl's wrestling use FS or Folkstyle rules? What about College?
    Karissa wrestles for her High School boys team (folkstyle).
    http://www.youtube.com/TonyAvallone
    Dad of Karissa 155lb Varsity College Freshman

  4. #13

    Default Re: Girls Pre-season High School Rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    What going on there in Iowa?
    I notice Maine(!) had six girls on the list, maybe we can take them off the short list of worst wrestling states looking at all styles of wrestling.
    I think that there are several issues. First and foremost is the issue of wrestling on boys teams. I know that's true almost everywhere, so Iowa should be no worse than the majority of the country's wrestling states.

    Another reason is that the state organization and the junior clubs make little, if any, effort to involve girls. The attitude I've encountered when talking to a half-dozen club coaches and the state director seems to be, "If they show up, we'll coach them", but there's no recruitment effort.

    Tiffany Sluik finished third at Fargo and is going on to wrestle at Jamestown College, so it's not like girls have no chance here.

    I know a couple of people are starting to work on building stronger opportunities here. As I've said ad nauseum - Iowa has been a leader in establishing girls sports opportunities and is the only state in the union with a separate girl's athletic union. We also have a rich high school wrestling heritage. It just seems incongrous to me that we can't do a better job of getting girls on the mat.

  5. #14

    Default Re: Girls Pre-season High School Rankings

    This is just my opinion and in no way am I trying to offend anyone.

    First, I coach youth and I think that is were the recruiting needs to start. I have been approached to start a youth girls team, but I declined for various reasons. Bigest reason I coach my two boys year round in other sports also.

    The other reason is that I have a fear of coaching girls in a contact sport where I will be showing moves that someone from the outside with no knowledge would deam
    inappropriate. Sometimes I have a hard time showing boys certian moves because of this also. This is one reason we run an open door policy.

    I wish there was a larger pool of young woman that could coach, but the sport has not grown large enough to support good woman coaches.

  6. #15

    Default Re: Girls Pre-season High School Rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by legridder155 View Post
    This is just my opinion and in no way am I trying to offend anyone.

    First, I coach youth and I think that is were the recruiting needs to start. I have been approached to start a youth girls team, but I declined for various reasons. Bigest reason I coach my two boys year round in other sports also.

    The other reason is that I have a fear of coaching girls in a contact sport where I will be showing moves that someone from the outside with no knowledge would deam
    inappropriate. Sometimes I have a hard time showing boys certian moves because of this also. This is one reason we run an open door policy.

    I wish there was a larger pool of young woman that could coach, but the sport has not grown large enough to support good woman coaches.
    Your last 2 points are excellent.

  7. #16

    Default Re: Girls Pre-season High School Rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    Question: Does HS Girl's wrestling use FS or Folkstyle rules? What about College?
    HS is folk. College has been freestyle, but the NCWA program is folk.

    R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

  8. #17

    Default Re: Girls Pre-season High School Rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by legridder155 View Post
    This is just my opinion and in no way am I trying to offend anyone.

    First, I coach youth and I think that is were the recruiting needs to start. I have been approached to start a youth girls team, but I declined for various reasons. Bigest reason I coach my two boys year round in other sports also.

    The other reason is that I have a fear of coaching girls in a contact sport where I will be showing moves that someone from the outside with no knowledge would deam
    inappropriate. Sometimes I have a hard time showing boys certian moves because of this also. This is one reason we run an open door policy.

    I wish there was a larger pool of young woman that could coach, but the sport has not grown large enough to support good woman coaches.
    I coach at a middle school and a high school program. We also run an open-door program, and I encourage parents to attend the middle-school practices. Not only do they get to see what we are doing, but it gives an opportunity to begin teaching the parents about wrestling.
    I make it a big point in my discussions on what to expect (to the wrestlers and their parents) that this is a physical contact sport. I will demonstrate (on an experienced wrestler) some of the things that we will be doing - making sure that everyone knows that there is a lot of touching, grabbing, holding, etc. going on.
    I suspect that "larger pool" is only a few years off. I have several girls who come back to practices and work with our ladies. I am really looking forward to my own daughter being available. (I hope she winds up somewhere around here so I can exploit her!)

    R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

  9. #18

    Default Re: Girls Pre-season High School Rankings

    By the way, girls way outnumber guys on my middle school team.

    R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •