Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 10 to 18 of 20

Thread: A financial incentive for American wrestlers if they win Olympic Gold

  1. #10
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    On the forums
    Posts
    8,345

    Default Re: A financial incentive for American wrestlers if they win Olympic Gold

    Besides in my post earlier I described how seeing wrestling heroes being treated well by the country with financial compensation would promote respect and participation in wrestling and as a result help grow a healthier society. That just went right over your head. Americans are way too uptight about their treasure and materialism. You need to relax and live life rather than constantly trying to grow GDP.

  2. #11

    Default Re: A financial incentive for American wrestlers if they win Olympic Gold

    If Russians are so "relaxed and lived life rather than constantly trying to grow GDP" (as you suggest Americans should do), why do they care about monetary compensation for an Olympic gold medal? Why don't they just do it in order to "help grow a healthier society"?

  3. #12
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    On the forums
    Posts
    8,345

    Default Re: A financial incentive for American wrestlers if they win Olympic Gold

    Quote Originally Posted by zhawk View Post
    If Russians are so "relaxed and lived life rather than constantly trying to grow GDP" (as you suggest Americans should do), why do they care about monetary compensation for an Olympic gold medal? Why don't they just do it in order to "help grow a healthier society"?

    Spending money on Olympic sports is part of relaxing and living life.

  4. #13

    Default Re: A financial incentive for American wrestlers if they win Olympic Gold

    Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    Besides in my post earlier I described how seeing wrestling heroes being treated well by the country with financial compensation would promote respect and participation in wrestling and as a result help grow a healthier society. That just went right over your head. Americans are way too uptight about their treasure and materialism. You need to relax and live life rather than constantly trying to grow GDP.
    it definately helps the nationalism and spirit when a popular athlete succeeds. the problem in america is that a guy could beat the greatest wrestler of all time and no one would even see it, let alone remember the clift notes after a few weeks. your point didnt go over my head. the fact that a russian wrestler can make half a million dollars for being the best in the world doesnt work in america because you can make that on the practice squad of the worst team in the nfl.

  5. #14
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    On the forums
    Posts
    8,345

    Default Re: A financial incentive for American wrestlers if they win Olympic Gold

    Apples and oranges. NFL compensation is due to the sport being Native to America and Americans like a herd are throwing money at it. Sure some love NFL for the game but I bet far too many simply go along to FIT IN, to keep up the conversation at the office at work so to speak.

    I am talking about a country's policies to support Olympic sports and athletes that aspire to win medals there. A national program. If you do it the right way it would make a sport like wrestling much more popular and through higher participation keep society healthy and kids growing up more fit.

  6. #15
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    On the forums
    Posts
    8,345

    Default Re: A financial incentive for American wrestlers if they win Olympic Gold

    And even though half a million dollars is pocket change to NFL players, it is still a large sum of money to average Americans that can appreciate the prize.

  7. #16

    Default Re: A financial incentive for American wrestlers if they win Olympic Gold

    Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    Wrong thread because this discussion is about wrestling compensation as a fact. No need to compare each country's education or health care or nuclear arsenal or charity or religious donations and so on.
    Why not? You are comparing Russia to America, saying that they have a more nourished soul than Americans because their favorite sport is wrestling? Our souls can be discussed on this thread, but not anything else?

    Big, you think wrestling is the world's greatest sport. So do I. Just because the majority of Americans don't agree with us does not make them bad people, and if you want people to value wrestling more - pay the athletes more, go to to matches, give their financial support, etc. - then you shouldn't spend this much time arguing on a forum of people who already agree with you! Go out and show the world how great the sport is.

  8. #17

    Default Re: A financial incentive for American wrestlers if they win Olympic Gold

    half a million dollars isnt what it used to be. it definately isnt enough to get someone to go through the hardest sport on earth. if you really are russian, you cannot understand how football effects americans. it is like soccer. kids play football with their friends their entire youth. no matter how athletic a person is as an adult, they can still click on the television and get nostalgic about their childhood. most americans never wrestled as children, and no american can click on the tv and watch wrestling. is that sad? yea to me it is, but i cant really argue with what 100million people who have pretty good lives feel about what is good for them.

  9. #18
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    On the forums
    Posts
    8,345

    Default Re: A financial incentive for American wrestlers if they win Olympic Gold

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyholt View Post
    half a million dollars isnt what it used to be. it definately isnt enough to get someone to go through the hardest sport on earth. if you really are russian, you cannot understand how football effects americans. it is like soccer. kids play football with their friends their entire youth. no matter how athletic a person is as an adult, they can still click on the television and get nostalgic about their childhood. most americans never wrestled as children, and no american can click on the tv and watch wrestling. is that sad? yea to me it is, but i cant really argue with what 100million people who have pretty good lives feel about what is good for them.

    In Russia half a million dollars is like $2 million in America because in those places where Russian wrestlers are born everything is like 4-6 times cheaper than in America.

    Since most Russians make somewhere between $200 and $1000 per month, I am sure you can see how $500K makes them set financially for life.

    It would take more than 80 years for an average Russian to make $500K.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •