Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 9 of 18
Discuss Folkstyle v Freestyle v Greco at the Freestyle & Greco-Roman Wrestling within the Wrestling Talk Forums; If you could have it your way what style of wrestling would we do in ...
  1. #1
    Redshirt wrestlingmedia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    56

    Electric!! Folkstyle v Freestyle v Greco

    If you could have it your way what style of wrestling would we do in our high school and junior high programs? Why do you feel that way?

  2. #2
    Olympic Champ
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,902

    Default Re: Folkstyle v Freestyle v Greco

    I live in Canada, where we wrestle freestyle only (and a bit of Greco) and I like it. I'll leave it to Americans to decide if such an approach is a good idea for them.

    I will mention a couple of things that drive me crazy about folkstyle, which also probably hurt American freestyle preformance. One is that people can by lying on their backs and, because they are scrambing around or hanging onto something, no points are given... the 133 and 141 lb matches from this year's NCAA's come to mind. The other thing is playing the edge... in freestyle going out of bounds is a point, in folkstyle it's a common defensive strategy.

    I'd also point out that it would be possible to tweak the rules of folkstyle to make it more like freestyle (ie allow back exposure points, get rid of riding) without adopting some of FILA's sillier rules like the leg clinch.

  3. #3
    Administrator vaisforlovers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    9,931

    Default Re: Folkstyle v Freestyle v Greco

    Out of bounds point in folk would be amazing. I see your point about the scrambles and exposure, but I think that those scrambles are a part of why i love folkstyle.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

  4. #4
    Round of 12 The Janitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Riverside California
    Posts
    221

    Default Re: Folkstyle v Freestyle v Greco

    out of bound points would work for me pretty good im real lanky so i usually drive them out when i shoot for a double or try to shuck them down cause they start running back so they dont fall to the mat
    Mental toughness is to physical as four is to one.

  5. #5
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: Folkstyle v Freestyle v Greco

    Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    I live in Canada, where we wrestle freestyle only (and a bit of Greco) and I like it. I'll leave it to Americans to decide if such an approach is a good idea for them.

    I will mention a couple of things that drive me crazy about folkstyle, which also probably hurt American freestyle preformance. One is that people can by lying on their backs and, because they are scrambing around or hanging onto something, no points are given... the 133 and 141 lb matches from this year's NCAA's come to mind..
    Folkstyle is about control; freestyle is about back exposure. They are two different sports that have similarities, like baseball and softball (but unlike baseball and softball, they are equally intense).

    Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    The other thing is playing the edge... in freestyle going out of bounds is a point, in folkstyle it's a common defensive strategy.
    There are provisions in the folkstyle rules to prevent intentionally going out of bounds, but they aren't strictly enforced.

    Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    I'd also point out that it would be possible to tweak the rules of folkstyle to make it more like freestyle (ie allow back exposure points, get rid of riding) without adopting some of FILA's sillier rules like the leg clinch.
    There have been changes in the folkstyle rules to make it more like freestyle: the optional start; the choice of top, bottom, neutral or defer (it wasn't always that way); changing the neutral starting position so that the wrestlers are closer to each other (they used to start standing on the ten foot circle).

    I prefer folkstyle because I was raised on it, I coach it, and I understand it better. I like that the bottom man has to work to improve his position, and not just defend from turns, and I like that the top man must control the bottom man and not just expose his back from any position or give up control without any penalty (an escape point).

    When I'm King of the World, everyone will wrestle folkstyle.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

  6. #6
    Redshirt wrestler.free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    35

    Default Re: Folkstyle v Freestyle v Greco

    IMO folk and freestyle is same way with one different.. freestyle is more official, folk is specific for region... freestyle and folk require from wrestler the whole preparation... strength and technics... BTW... this is only my opinion

  7. #7
    ODH
    ODH is offline
    World Champ ODH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,968

    Default Re: Folkstyle v Freestyle v Greco

    Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    ...

    There have been changes in the folkstyle rules to make it more like freestyle: the optional start; the choice of top, bottom, neutral or defer (it wasn't always that way); changing the neutral starting position so that the wrestlers are closer to each other (they used to start standing on the ten foot circle)...
    Those changes were made 25+ years ago when it did seem that there was going to be a slow movement to be make US wrestling more similar to Freestyle. I eould have like to see this continue, if just for the reason that I think we have some of the best wrestlers in the world and can't prove it. I hate seeing good US guys losing to wrestlers from 2nd rate countries.

    I definitely agree with arm-spin on this one... the constant going out of bounds is the worst thing about D1 folkstyle wrestling and I would prefer to see back exposure on the feet more similar to Freestyle. Rolling onto your back and hanging onto an ankle is not the style of wrestling I like to see.

  8. #8
    Ancient Arachnid Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,424

    Default Re: Folkstyle v Freestyle v Greco

    Quote Originally Posted by ODH View Post
    Those changes were made 25+ years ago.
    Seems like just yesterday . . .
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

  9. #9
    Round of 12 Lotta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    284

    Default Re: Folkstyle v Freestyle v Greco

    Freestyle and Greco Roma Wrestling : high amplitude throws, i like this!

    See :

    http://www.themat.com/section.php?se...rticleID=19786

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

user tags

folkstyle v freestyle wrestling

FOLKSTYLE VS FREESTYLE

us get rid of folkstyle

grappling v folkstyle

Folk v freestyle

does freestyle and greco help your folkstyle wrestling

folkstyle or freestyle

freestyle greco rules

greco versus folk style

greko freestyle and folk

people freestyle v

what is better greco freestyle or folkstyle

how is greco different from folkstyle

freestyle and greco rules vs folkstyle

defending the turk in folkstyle wrestling

wrestling folkstyle vs freestyle

California Wrestling Folkstyle rules

Greco vs folk style

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •