Thread: I'm running 4 miles every morning, does this halt my strength gains?

Default I'm running 4 miles every morning, does this halt my strength gains?

I've been running 4 miles every morning for about 2 weeks now. Will this have a bad effect on my strength gains? Or will this burn fat because it's that early in the day?

Default Re: I'm running 4 miles every morning, does this halt my strength gains?

eat before 4 miles is probably at a pretty low place. Try HIIT(Look it up)

Default Re: I'm running 4 miles every morning, does this halt my strength gains?

Jacket brings up a good point... you're *probably* better off training by doing intervals (HIIT = High Intensity Interval Training), which is: Sprint, Jog, Sprint, Jog.. you can use things like Telephone poles as markers for your sprints- and cover 2-4 miles...

Just running 4 miles is going to help aerobically but not that much when it comes to the bodies anaerobic system. You need to work on using all of your energy quickly and that means lots of sprints.

as far as the question is concerned, if you are truly running every morning, it may make it tough to continue gaiing strength if you aren't lifting heavy or are using too much volume. you wouldn't lose much if you just took 2 days out of the week to not run for 4 miles. i'd throw in some high intensity work in there like the others said, but neglecting to do some roadwork like you're doing would be a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by rscowboys View Post
    I've been running 4 miles every morning for about 2 weeks now. Will this have a bad effect on my strength gains? Or will this burn fat because it's that early in the day?

Yes. It will be extremely hard for you to make gains like that. When I'm trying to get bigger, I have to completely stop all cardio for the most part. While I'm sort of an anomole in that regard, 4 miles a day makes for a lot of calories to make up for and a lot of strength burned.

This is not to say that it will make you less healthy and formiddable. It will just have a bad effect on your gains.
    To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.

running every day could also have some negative effects on your knees and joints.

I would personally lower it to two miles at a very brisk pace 15 minutes tops. As others mentioned include sprints to really blow out your lungs. A wrestling match is more of a sprint than a marathon so you dont need to do longer distances.

Quote Originally Posted by p-jersey View Post
    running every day could also have some negative effects on your knees and joints.

I would personally lower it to two miles at a very brisk pace 15 minutes tops. As others mentioned include sprints to really blow out your lungs. A wrestling match is more of a sprint than a marathon so you dont need to do longer distances.
    with all due respect i would have to disagree with the bolded part. if a match is 7 minutes, not including potential overtimes, it is impossible for it to be a sprint, even with intermittent, on/off effort (ex. tabata). wrestling is not a marathon by an means, but it is definitely not a sprint either. sprints are very important, but to ignore longer distances would really damage your game. the aerobic system ends up doing over half of all the work in sprints upwards of a minute, and whenever the anearobic systems are activated, it means that the aerobic system is working at 100% of its capacity. training with sprints alone doesn't provide the volume of work that the heart is able to get out of longer distance running. but running as often and as far as the thread starter prescribed would be detrimental, assuming that strength is the main priority.

I said it is more of a sprint than a marathon. Seven minutes is a relatively short time especially considering how long wrestling practices are.

The best way to get in shape for a wrestling match is to wrestle a lot everything else is just supplemental. I didnt say just run springts but 2 to 3 miles is sufficient, obviously you cant sprint that distance but you can do it at a hard pace.