Thread: How should i train for going into high school?

Default How should i train for going into high school?

Im in middle school still. 8th grade and we had PAC's today. I won the first two matches by pin and went to championship match. Then i was winning 2-0 going in the second round and he some how rolled me over and got a headlock in and pinned me =(. Second place aint that bad i guess.

Well when i was thinking after the match how to train for high school? Since the guys are tougher and the periods twice as long. My parents can buy me a membership at a gym to work out at. I weigh 120, tall and scrawny and would like to gain some more muscle mass and endurance to keep from getting winded early on. I have football also which will keep me fit summer/fall. And will join a wrestling camp or two. Any other suggestions that might keep me fit and strong coming into wrestling season? And any other moves i should be aware of in high school. My coach only taught me the basics (headlock, single/double leg takedown, cradle, half nelson, sprawling) nothing to advanced. Hope you can help me.
    ~Paul
    Champions aren't born. They are made.

Default Re: How should i train for going into high school?

What to focus on when you're entering High School Wrestling:

Social Maturity
    .. Being on a high school wrestling team requires you to interact with kids 4-5 years older that you. Acting immature not only hurts the amount of time a coach will spend on you, it hurts your team unity.

Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Conditioning. Probably the single most important factor in winning state titles. You can be the most talented wrestler in the world, but if you don't have a gas tank you won't be unbeatable.

Standup. They suck to practice, but do twice as many as you think you should. 25+ after practice, every day, too.

Takedown. Focus on 1-2 major takedowns- then create spin-offs and learn moves that work together well.

(example: In high school I focused on the ankle pick as my primary take down because the energy necessary to score 2-5 points was a lot less than say, a High Crotch. From there I built added a solid knee pick, knee block, and front head. )

Once you have your core of moves built add a couple that are very different in terms of setups.

(I added a blast double and fireman's carry.)

Setups. Really (really!) focus on learning as many setups as you can. The sooner you start learning them the better off you will be. The main reason for learning as many setups as possible is two-fold. 1) you make yourself comfortable scoring from tons of different positions with the same move. 2) you can feel your opponent setting up moves and catch him before/as he is going for it.

Try to learn every day. Go into practice every day with the goal to improve yourself. When you are tired, sore, or sick of wrestling you need to suck it up and try even harder those days- it is what will separate you from other kids your age (and pretty much everyone around you.)

Good luck

well that sums it up really well

Quote Originally Posted by Schlottke View Post
    What to focus on when you're entering High School Wrestling:

Social Maturity.. Being on a high school wrestling team requires you to interact with kids 4-5 years older that you. Acting immature not only hurts the amount of time a coach will spend on you, it hurts your team unity.

Don't be afraid to ask questions.
    This year i was one of the captains for my team i think i have some maturity under my belt.

Conditioning. Probably the single most important factor in winning state titles. You can be the most talented wrestler in the world, but if you don't have a gas tank you won't be unbeatable.
    I had problems in the beginning of the season. I was getting tired even in the first period. But now i think ive built up my stamina for 3 periods. But high school its 2 min a period so i guess i would have to run or jog every day to keep fit. Also i have football conditioning during the summer.

Standup. They suck to practice, but do twice as many as you think you should. 25+ after practice, every day, too.

Takedown. Focus on 1-2 major takedowns- then create spin-offs and learn moves that work together well.

(example: In high school I focused on the ankle pick as my primary take down because the energy necessary to score 2-5 points was a lot less than say, a High Crotch. From there I built added a solid knee pick, knee block, and front head. )

Once you have your core of moves built add a couple that are very different in terms of setups.

(I added a blast double and fireman's carry.)
    I focus on single legs and double legs alot and my coach was telling me that i should suck the leg in closer to me instead of reaching for it. The ankle pick seems like a pretty good idea also.

Setups. Really (really!) focus on learning as many setups as you can. The sooner you start learning them the better off you will be. The main reason for learning as many setups as possible is two-fold. 1) you make yourself comfortable scoring from tons of different positions with the same move. 2) you can feel your opponent setting up moves and catch him before/as he is going for it.
    Since i've only wrestled two years we havent learned that much setting up. All i can do is really tie up, tap them on the forehead then shoot, or push their head down and when its coming up shoot.

Try to learn every day. Go into practice every day with the goal to improve yourself. When you are tired, sore, or sick of wrestling you need to suck it up and try even harder those days- it is what will separate you from other kids your age (and pretty much everyone around you.)

My school doesnt wrestle all year round so its hard to practice these things but i could have one of my wrestling buds come over and practice these skills, though my friend isnt gonna come over every day to train with me so i would probably have to practice most of this stuff by myself.

What you said about sucking it up it really helps. When i quit wrestling like im tired and get agressive im not that bad really. Since last year i was 10-10 and now im 14-4 by being more agressive.

Good luck
    Thanks and i'll try some of the stuff you told me to.
    Champions aren't born. They are made.

Quote Originally Posted by ChargerWrestler View Post
    Thanks and i'll try some of the stuff you told me to.
    I figured you'd be a little more mature than most kids since you are already planning towards next season.

You don't need to practice every day in the off season to get better, either. Visualize moves, run, plan techniques to learn/build from.

Set ups are usually the most lacking part of a high school kid's arsenal.. Try to learn 5+ setups for all of your takedowns, if you do that it's like having 2 to 3 times the number of moves that a kid who only learns 1-2 setups has.