Thread: General Guidline of my offseason strength/conditioning program

Default General Guidline of my offseason strength/conditioning program

Monday-Morning Run 30min.
    Bench (alternate rep range every week) 5X5, bodyweight max reps, 1rep max)
    Squat (alternate rep range every week) 5X5, bodyweight max reps, 1rep max)
    Incline Bench 3X8
    Shoulder press 3X8
    CrunchesX100
    Scissor KicksX100

Tuesday-Morning Run 30 min
    Deadlift
    Powercleans
    Barbell rows
    Pullups/Curls
    Crunches
    Leg Lifts

Wednesday-rest

Thursday-repeat Monday

Friday-repeat Tuesday or skip Friday and on Saturday morning do 1 rep max tests (best time to do them)

Obviously it would vary in exercises and rep range etc. but how does this look for a general guideline of an offseason routine? My goal is basically to become a machine out there on the mat.

Default Re: General Guidline of my offseason strength/conditioning program

Looks like a good start, instead of putting the crunches and ab stuff at the end, it would be better to put together a good ab/core routine that lasts about 10 minutes and use that for a warmup. As far as lifting, you should add more auxiliary lifts, keep the bench and squat, but then pick some smaller lifts like Shoulder press, maybe lat pulldows, triceps lifts, and some bicep stuff, so stick to two core exercises for your 5x5 (bench, squat etc) Then pick up to 5 smaller lifts and do your 3x8.

I'd probably lift Monday, take Tuesday off of lifting and do a long run with some plyometrics at the end and stretching.

Do your current Tuesday routine on Wednesday, I'd start with power clean, then deadlift for 5x5, then rows and curls, stuff like that pick up to 5 lifts for 3x8 and end with a few sets of pullups to failure.

Thursday reapeat tuesday, maybe add some abs before your run, sprints and plyometrics at the end

Friday do maybe box squat and another bench press variation and pick 5 auxilary lifts and do 3x8.

Saturday you can either repeat tuesday/thursday or take off. Instead of doing 1 rep max tests, the next week instead of doing 5x5 for you 2 core lifts do 5-4-3-2-1, and test on the last rep. Friday you can cut it short to 5-3-1 if you want so you're not to tired to get a good 1 rep max. The next week keep it short, 3x3 for your 2 core lifts, this will let you lift really heavy even though it seems easy. Then the last week you can do maybe 10-8-6 for your two core sets to get a good pump. Then start the cycle over with 5x5 again. Record your progress well and you will find on the next 4 week cycle you will be breaking a lot of records and lifting more and more each week.

Remember to train abs before you lift and change the warm up routine excersizes often, as for auxiliary lifts, choose lifts that mirror the movements of wrestling the closest and use these to really tone up and add mass.
    Last edited by PAwrestler; 05-07-2009 at 06:41 PM.

Default Re: General Guidline of my offseason strength/conditioning program

What do you guys thing about my advice?