Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matches- getting winded

Default Matches- getting winded

I don't know why but I get winded in matches.

I train so hard. I go thru a 2 hour grueling practice. I run up hill wind sprints consistently.

During practice I can wrestle live for 1 hour straight. I can wrestle 3 matches in a row easy. A lot of wrestlers say that can't believe my cardio in practice. They ask "how do you do it?" Because I can wrestle forever.

But come tournament time I get winded? What is the problem?

My warmup? Not eating? I heard cyclists that are world class can bonk if they don't have the right foods. I really need help.

Default Re: Matches- getting winded

Alot of the athletes that I train don't breathe properly. Here is a quick link for some breathing exercises that have helped three wrestlers that I train immensely.

http://cas.umkc.edu/casww/brethexr.htm
    "All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become."

Sure you can wrestle live for an hour straight, but that's cause you;re constantly wrestling. Once you get to a tourney, you're breaking between matches and letting yourself get cool.

I got the same problem; my friend's amazed that I can whoop him just as well at the end of practice as the beginning, but come tourney time around match 4 or 5, i'm out.
    Wrestling: Shoot first, ask questions later.

In some athletes, increased nervousness or adrenaline makes them tense up during matches. A match situation is much less relaxed than practice- physically and especially mentally. Being tense makes you tired. This may be your problem- if so, try to relax when you wrestle. If you watch some of the best European wrestlers, they are incredibly relaxed when competing.

Oh, and are you cutting a lot of weight before your matches? That might explain it as well.

There are three things that come to mind when I read your post.
    #1 Dehydration/Weight cutting.
    How much weight are you dropping the day of and day before a match? Are you good and hydrated? Your urine should be clear, if it's yellow you're not hydrated enough. Try and get a LOT of fluids, especially WATER after weigh ins. You can't drink too much water.

If you're sucking down a lot of weight and not feeding your body properly then you don't have the energy that you do all week long. Try and get some good LIGHT food in your system right after weigh ins, along with fluids. Are you sucking down too much weight? I just had a chat w/ one of my wrestlers on the way home from a dual meet about bumping UP a weight class for post season. He didn't start his cut soon enough and now he's trying to drop too much too close to the end of the season.

#3 Warmups
    Are you getting good and warm? Here is what I tell my guys to do before they wrestle. This is just an example. Talk to your coach about what might be good for you.
    A. Warm up
    1. Jogging
    2. Inside/Outside
    3. Duck Walk
    B. Stretch?3:40 PM
    1. Berry Pickers
    a. Middle
    i. Front
    ii. Middle
    iii. Back
    b. Left
    c. Right
    2. Quad Stretch
    3. Right/Left Arm Across while doing Right Ankle
    4. Right/Left triceps while doing Left Ankle
    5. Beauty Queens
    6. Butterflies
    7. Back Bridge
    8. Front Bridge
    9. Calf
    C. Calisthenics sets of 10
    1. Pushups
    2. Sit ups
    3. Jumping Jacks
    D. Warm up
    1. From your feet
    a. Single
    b. Double
    c. High C
    d. Fireman?s
    e. Duck Under
    f. Ankle Pick
    g. Snap Down
    h. Arm spin
    i. Head and Arm
    2. From the bottom
    a. Stand-ups 5 each man
    b. Sit out series 2 each combination
    3. From the top
    a. Half series
    b. Bar series
    c. Anderson
    d. Utah
    e. Cross-face series
    I'd also encourage you to read Cary Kolat's article called Competition Warm-Up Routine and read "The Big Round" as well (also by Kolat). Being warm is VERY important. If you practice as hard as you say you do (I'm not saying that you don't) then you are in great shape and it is going to take some serious work to get you warm enough to compete. I used to job about 3 miles and then come back and drill take downs, stand ups, and pins until I was good and warm I would sweat like a pig--refs would tell me to dry off before I could wrestle. Once I was warm and sweating I would jump rope or back off and just maintain until I was up. It is fairly easy to stay warm for a while, but it is very difficult to get warm in a hurry.

Lots of good comments. I agree with almost all of them.

A match is more like a sprint than where as in your practice it is a marathon. Do you do live six minute matches in practice? The other part that once the bullets are live you have your adrenaline flowing a little more. You need to try and stay calm during a match and wrestle like you would in a practice. Try control your breathing as gjfovf mentioned. Most of all you just need to relax your mind and body before stepping out on the mat so that you dont burn out halfway through a match.

I would also recommend getting in a real hard drill about a half hour before your match and perhaps even a simulation match. It helps blow out your lungs and also releases some of the stress and nerves that are building up.

Also what is your recovery food and drink? I would intake your fluids at a slow rate, start out with pedialyte and mix in some water.

Last tournament I wrestled

After weigh in, no cutting down, wrestling up.

8 am I had sports drink, and one banana, thats all I could hold down.

11 am after good sweaty warm up had six minute match, that I won. 4-1. Wasn't tired at all. Felt great.
    Had some water after match.

1 pm second match tired and gassed after 2 minutes, then got lucky and pin in second period after 60 sec.

Had some more water. Heart rate really high after 1 hr rest, won't come down.
    Heart pounding out of chest even though almost asleep resting.

3 pm had final match. After one minute completely gassed. Held onto lead and won 7-2 decision on pure guts. Could hardly stand up after match. Put hands on knees and barely made it to the side of mat took me 2 minutes to gain composure. Felt like I hit a wall.

I've noticed that my heart rate feels like heart palpitations or something. Never happens in practice, never.

Quote Originally Posted by chessplayer View Post
    Last tournament I wrestled

After weigh in, no cutting down, wrestling up.

8 am I had sports drink, and one banana, thats all I could hold down.

11 am after good sweaty warm up had six minute match, that I won. 4-1. Wasn't tired at all. Felt great.
    Had some water after match.

1 pm second match tired and gassed after 2 minutes, then got lucky and pin in second period after 60 sec.

Had some more water. Heart rate really high after 1 hr rest, won't come down.
    Heart pounding out of chest even though almost asleep resting.

3 pm had final match. After one minute completely gassed. Held onto lead and won 7-2 decision on pure guts. Could hardly stand up after match. Put hands on knees and barely made it to the side of mat took me 2 minutes to gain composure. Felt like I hit a wall.

I've noticed that my heart rate feels like heart palpitations or something. Never happens in practice, never.
    I get the same problem. Your body gets more and more fatigued as the matches goes on. A wrestling match is extremely demanding to your muscles and energy. As you go on your energy and muscle become more fatigued. When your muscles become more fatigued. your body uses up more oxygen. Thus you get gassed more easily.
    "Every artist was first an amateur."
    "You miss 100% of shots you don't take."

Quote Originally Posted by Wrestling_Prodigy View Post
    I get the same problem. Your body gets more and more fatigued as the matches goes on. A wrestling match is extremely demanding to your muscles and energy. As you go on your energy and muscle become more fatigued. When your muscles become more fatigued. your body uses up more oxygen. Thus you get gassed more easily.
    If you are training properly this should not happen.

Its either mental or the pre-match preparation is not good.