Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greco Roman Or Freestyle

Default Greco Roman Or Freestyle

im currently a highschool wrestler looking to reach my maximum potential and win states and im just wondering whats more benificial to me during the summer between greco roman and freestyle wrestling.....

Default Re: Greco Roman Or Freestyle

Both would be very beneficial for you if you like to do them of course. Greco would really improve your upper-body wrestling. It would help improve with your headlocks, throws, suplexes, handfighting, wrist control, etc. I love this style. No legs in this style of course. Just pure, raw all upper-body wrestling. Freestyle would help all-round. It is alot more technical and aggressive than Folkstyle. There are alot more high-altitude takedowns in this style. Alot more throws. When those guys hit a double or single leg on you they are going to try and lift you as high up as possible into the air and slam you down for many points. You can get as many as 5 points for a takedown or one single move from top or bottom. So they are going to be alot more technical and aggressive with you to get you into the air and score on you. Most 5 point lifts are very painful and some dangerous such as the reverse body lift or suplexe. You can easily land on your head and break your neck. Have fun!!
    TRAIN LIKE A MADMAN!

I have to agree, wrestling both stlyes will only make you better. Freestyle will show you how important your shot selection is and about staying in good position. Greco opens up a lot more takedowns as you feel more comfortable with under hooks and tie ups. You also will be better at throwing, and defending agaisnt throws.
    Last edited by DBOZZZ; 01-12-2009 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grecowrestler13 View Post
    Freestyle would help all-round. It is alot more technical and aggressive than Folkstyle. There are alot more high-altitude takedowns in this style. Alot more throws. When those guys hit a double or single leg on you they are going to try and lift you as high up as possible into the air and slam you down for many points. You can get as many as 5 points for a takedown or one single move from top or bottom. So they are going to be alot more technical and aggressive with you to get you into the air and score on you. Most 5 point lifts are very painful and some dangerous such as the reverse body lift or suplexe. You can easily land on your head and break your neck. Have fun!!
    That is an extremely scary thought. It is just another day in another tournament, you get suplexed, your neck breaks.. and boom your dead!

What is the fatality rate in freestyle? And freestyle is more dangerous than greco? I thought it was the other way around.
    "Every artist was first an amateur."
    "You miss 100% of shots you don't take."

I couldn't find any fatality rates for both styles, but I know for sure greco is more dangerous than freestyle. Since you can't use legs in greco you've no choice but to throw or lift your opponent. Also, almost everyone tries to hit the reverse body lift on their opponents which has you landing on your head almost everytime. Watch videos of Karelin lift his opponents. He has them landing on their heads almost everytime. Just make sure to tuck your chin in when your being lifted to protect yourself.
    TRAIN LIKE A MADMAN!

I couldn't find any fatality rates for both styles, but I know for sure greco is more dangerous than freestyle. Since you can't use legs in greco you've no choice but to throw or lift your opponent. Also, almost everyone tries to hit the reverse body lift on their opponents which has you landing on your head almost everytime. Watch videos of Karelin lift his opponents. He has them landing on their heads almost everytime. Just make sure to tuck your chin in when your being lifted to protect yourself.
    A correct reverse lift throws ur opponent away from you not straight down on their head. If you pick someone up in a reverse lift and then slam them straight down, that is called a power bomb, normally you see this when someone is trying for a touch fall. All three style's are really about the same when it comes to being dangerous, all sports have neck, knee, shoulder injuries. And how many deaths have you heard about?, there were some a few years back related to weight loss and not greco throws! Anyone who thinks Greco is really that dangerous dosn't really have a clue about that style.

Freestyle. It will help you at neutral and you could do folk style riding in it as well.

I dunno if a lot of people actually do get hurt wrestling greco, but I found the reverse clinch pretty scary at times.

In Canada, they don't let you wrestle greco until "juvenile" level (grade 11) so the wrestling federation probably considers greco the more dangerous of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by arm-spin View Post
    I dunno if a lot of people actually do get hurt wrestling greco, but I found the reverse clinch pretty scary at times.

In Canada, they don't let you wrestle greco until "juvenile" level (grade 11) so the wrestling federation probably considers greco the more dangerous of the two.
    Thats sad they won't let you wrestle Greco till the 11th grade. Talk about hurting your countries chances at world medals in Greco. I do understand that younger kids are more likely to hurt one another, due to improper technique.