Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pull Ups or Barbell Rows?

Default Pull Ups or Barbell Rows?

I can't decide whether to take out barbell rows and put pull ups instead or leave barbell rows in my weightlifting program. What would most benefit my wrestling on the mat? Here is what my workout is:

• 5x5 Squats
    • 5x5 Bench Press
    • 1x5 Snatch Grip Deadlift
    • 5x5 Overhead Press
    • 5x5 Barbell Rows
    Last edited by Wrestling_Prodigy; 01-09-2009 at 11:38 PM.
    "Every artist was first an amateur."
    "You miss 100% of shots you don't take."

Default Re: Pull Ups or Barbell Rows?

make it easy. do both
    "All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become."

Right now you've got 2 pushes and only 1 pull, any reasoning behind that?

I'd do both, but maybe split up the workout. It looks like you're trying to mash both days of stronglifts into one, why not just do that program as written?
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

I agree with the others, do both!

Round of 12

Chins

Quote Originally Posted by Wrestling_Prodigy View Post
    I can't decide whether to take out barbell rows and put pull ups instead or leave barbell rows in my weightlifting program. What would most benefit my wrestling on the mat? Here is what my workout is:

• 5x5 Squats
    • 5x5 Bench Press
    • 1x5 Dead Lifts
    • 5x5 Overhead Press
    • 5x5 Barbell Rows
    Why take anything out.

Add 5x5 DB Snatch at the beginning, put 5x5 pull ups before/after barbell rows, and change the Deadlifts to 5x5 Romanian Deadlifts. You have a good workout but I would recommend the book "Men's Power Training" by Robert Dos Remedios. It is great for wrestling and just about any sport imaginable.

Quote Originally Posted by edman7001 View Post
    Why take anything out.

Add 5x5 DB Snatch at the beginning, put 5x5 pull ups before/after barbell rows, and change the Deadlifts to 5x5 Romanian Deadlifts. You have a good workout but I would recommend the book "Men's Power Training" by Robert Dos Remedios. It is great for wrestling and just about any sport imaginable.
    I'm not sure. The program I follow says not to do more. And I have wrestling practice 5-6 days a week so I think 5 weightlifting exercises are enough. The program also tells me to do deadlift 1x5, I'll consider doing more sets. And why Romanian Deadlifts? Oh and I do Snatch Grip Deadlift not regular deadlifts for grip strength. I'll edit my original post.

Quote Originally Posted by oc View Post
    Chins
    Pull ups are better for wrestling.

Quote Originally Posted by FloggingSully View Post
    Right now you've got 2 pushes and only 1 pull, any reasoning behind that?

I'd do both, but maybe split up the workout. It looks like you're trying to mash both days of stronglifts into one, why not just do that program as written?
    There is no reasoning behind it. Will adding more pulls than pushes transfer more to wrestling?

I just made my own modified version of stronglifts. I made a topic about it and there is no wrong to it. We wrestlers have to make adjustments to suit out needs. And that is a good idea. I might do both, one day I'll do barbell rows and the other pull ups.

Quote Originally Posted by gjfovf View Post
    make it easy. do both
    I think that would be too much considering the workout is demanding and I have practice 5-6 days a week leaving my body with not much recovery time. And plus the program I follow tells me to do no more than 5 exercises for max gains (I think, don't quote me on this).
    "Every artist was first an amateur."
    "You miss 100% of shots you don't take."

make it a superset. instead of 5x5 of barbell rows, make 5x10 barbell row/ pullup. 5 reps each exercise right after each other for 5 sets. You are only doing 105 total reps in that program so adding 25 reps to your program shouldn't bury you.
    "All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become."

Romanian Deadlifts are awesome for the posterior chain which is critical for wrestling and front squats will help put more emphasis on the quads.