Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: My Coach's weight training plan

Default Re: My Coach's weight training plan

Quote Originally Posted by grecowrestler13 View Post
    I do high cardio after every workout and I feel like I'm getting stronger every week. I try not to do alot of cardio after but I'm kind of addicted to it. I feel as though my strength and cardio workouts are balanced and one is not taking over the other. But if you don't want to do cardio during your strength workouts then do them on your off days. Make sure you do alot of cardio on those days in case you have less off days then on days.
    Every person reacts different to everything. Simple science proves that cardio following weight training is counter productive. You could be allot stronger if you did cardio on "off days" of lifting. Not my opinion but rather pure SCIENCE.

My HS sample:
    Pre-season (3 weeks long)
    M-W-F 24 minute work outs. 3 separate packages. 1 for each day
    Go home and recover
    T-TH 24 min. cardio
    Go home and recover.

Season:
    M- one package whole team. A new package each week for 3 weeks, then recycle.
    T-TH 24 min. cardio

My lifting excersies include:
    Keg lifts or Barbell cleans
    Rope clmbs
    Chin ups
    Push ups
    Box bumps
    Upright rows
    Hammer curls
    Shoulder press
    lateral raises
    dumbell rows
    Bent knee squats
    staggered stance squats
    Sand bag lifts
    Sit ups

Running includes:
    1 mile
    4- 750 ft sprints (appx. 6 tenths of a mile)
    Stair runs- buddy carries, brides maids...

Feel free to use in any way you see fit.

If you would like a break down that I use, email me.
    I am a certified personal trainer with 25 years of wrestling back ground.
    corhow@gmail.com

You don't do any band training or kettlebell training? No compound lifts(deadlifts, squats, OHP, bench press)? Not many BW exercises. I see that you do alot of isolation exercises. Why so? How many reps, sets, weight do you use for the weights?

I have no choice but to do cardio after my workouts since I workout 4 days a week with one day of rest in the week and Sat and Sun for rest. But I need rest on the weekends although I could probaly do cardio on those days.
    TRAIN LIKE A MADMAN!

Quote Originally Posted by grecowrestler13 View Post
    You don't do any band training or kettlebell training? No compound lifts(deadlifts, squats, OHP, bench press)? Not many BW exercises. I see that you do alot of isolation exercises. Why so? How many reps, sets, weight do you use for the weights?

I have no choice but to do cardio after my workouts since I workout 4 days a week with one day of rest in the week and Sat and Sun for rest. But I need rest on the weekends although I could probaly do cardio on those days.
    No band training or kettlebell. We do deadlifts, squats, and bench press. BW exercises are done not done with the weight lifting, it is done with the regular practice on the mat.

The amount of reps and sets are as follows:

3x10 Deadlifts
    3x10 Squats
    4x12 Wide grip pull downs
    4x12 Close grip bench press
    4x12 Barbell Rows
    2xF Grip Tool on each hand

And for the weight, you use the hardest weight for you that you are able to do for reps (kind of).

Sorry for the late reply.
    "Every artist was first an amateur."
    "You miss 100% of shots you don't take."

Redshirt

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    Your coaches weight training program is covering all the important basis that need met. Yes it may get stale but how many days a week are you doing this and what is the purpose? Keep strength? Gain Strenght?

You will not gain strenght throughout season, but you can maintain it (it will feel like you are stronger because everyone else is losing) Strength building must be done in the off-season. No doubt about it.

This work out is best suited once or twice a week maximum.
    Close Grip Bench if used with an exposive motion will do you good. Better would be incline dumbbell press.
    Deadlifts: Great
    Wide grip pull downs : Good. Better would be chin ups
    Squats: Great. Save those knees with less weight and great form.
    Barbell rows: Good. Better would be Kettle bell snatches (Full range)
    Grip tool: A little overboard. Every exercise exept squat requires grip, that should cover it.

The "gimic work outs" will not help you in the long run.
    Front squat?? Who and why would anyone want to put their knee's through that stress. Talk to me in 5 years about those front squats...1 Legged dead? Super sets with Plyo?
    Most Kettlebell work outs put unneeded stress on the joints (wrist, shoulder, elbow) that can be avioded by using bars or dumbells. You cannot gain muscle (strength) if you follow up any lift with a cardio workout. Once your lift is complete, your muscles need recovery. They do this by pulling blood into them and feeding off of the oxygen and nutients that your body broke down. If you do any cardio work out following a muscle/strength excersize you will be redirecting blood flow from the muscles worked. Therefore resulting in NO GAIN!

I hope this helps.
    "gimic work outs?"
    Last edited by mir20052; 12-07-2008 at 01:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    Your coaches weight training program is covering all the important basis that need met. Yes it may get stale but how many days a week are you doing this and what is the purpose? Keep strength? Gain Strenght?

You will not gain strenght throughout season, but you can maintain it (it will feel like you are stronger because everyone else is losing) Strength building must be done in the off-season. No doubt about it.

This work out is best suited once or twice a week maximum.
    Close Grip Bench if used with an exposive motion will do you good. Better would be incline dumbbell press.
    Deadlifts: Great
    Wide grip pull downs : Good. Better would be chin ups
    Squats: Great. Save those knees with less weight and great form.
    Barbell rows: Good. Better would be Kettle bell snatches (Full range)
    Grip tool: A little overboard. Every exercise exept squat requires grip, that should cover it.

The "gimic work outs" will not help you in the long run.
    Front squat?? Who and why would anyone want to put their knee's through that stress. Talk to me in 5 years about those front squats...1 Legged dead? Super sets with Plyo?
    Most Kettlebell work outs put unneeded stress on the joints (wrist, shoulder, elbow) that can be avioded by using bars or dumbells. You cannot gain muscle (strength) if you follow up any lift with a cardio workout. Once your lift is complete, your muscles need recovery. They do this by pulling blood into them and feeding off of the oxygen and nutients that your body broke down. If you do any cardio work out following a muscle/strength excersize you will be redirecting blood flow from the muscles worked. Therefore resulting in NO GAIN!

I hope this helps.
    Guess the Russians have it all wrong. If you have joint problems by using the kettlebell, you have not been trained how to use it properly. Guess we agree to disagree.
    "All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become."

I talked to my coach about this training plan. And I asked him why did he choose this many reps? And he replied its for endurance and because he wants us to get used to weightlifting first. He also said it was phase one of the the weight training plan and it isn't the only phase. So I'm guessing that the phase after it would focus on strength.

That sounds pretty justified to me.
    "Every artist was first an amateur."
    "You miss 100% of shots you don't take."

Just remember that wrestling is a sport of anerobic endurance. You and your opponent both could have the same level of endurance but what if he has more anerobic capacity and thus overpowers you?

You gotta remember one day do the heavy weights then next workout go for time.
    But on another nice job asking your coach, I'm to scared to ask my coach about our program.