Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Thread: Wrestling_Prodigy's Log

Default Re: Wrestling_Prodigy's Log

Excellent.

I will focus on the neutral position as that is where I think I am best at evaluating.

Right now you are all straight forward with not a lot of motion or angles. I would work on some basic shadow wrestling to get comfortable with this. You should never move in one direction for too long. I personally have a lot of motion when I wrestle this helps with both my offense and my defense. In terms of defense I am not a stationary target as I am circling, level changing, moving forward, backward, hand in his face, pushing, pulling, snapping etc.

My coach in college was a light weight olympian and his big thing was that when tying never have our hands in resting in one position for more than a few seconds. If you in a collar tie dont sit in a collar tie for too long or the oppnent will use it against you. Every time I touch the guy it is for a purpose and it is to get him off balance, create an angle, and set up an attack.

If you are directly in front of an opponent in a tie up and you just try lower your level and shoot chances are he will see it coming and will be able to defend it. But if you are creating motion, moving his head, and creating an angle before attacking a leg your chances of getting in on a deep shot improve.

I would start with getting in your stance, staying light on your feet and moving in a circle. Once you feel comfortable moving in a circle start to move forward, now that you are circlign and moving forward backstep to get you imaginary opponet to come towards you. Once you get comfortable doing these motions add in some level changes, level changes help keep him off balance as its almost like a pump fake but when you do committ to a shot you need to make sure to level change first.

You can start to add in these motions while drilling with a partner. Get comfortable moving in different directions and moving your partner in different directions so that you have your angle before shooting.

A lot of these is still hard for me to communicate through writing so I apologize if it does not make sense. If it does make anysense I think starting out by increasing your motion and learning how to create angles before attacking is a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by p-jersey View Post
    Excellent.

I will focus on the neutral position as that is where I think I am best at evaluating.

Right now you are all straight forward with not a lot of motion or angles. I would work on some basic shadow wrestling to get comfortable with this. You should never move in one direction for too long. I personally have a lot of motion when I wrestle this helps with both my offense and my defense. In terms of defense I am not a stationary target as I am circling, level changing, moving forward, backward, hand in his face, pushing, pulling, snapping etc.

My coach in college was a light weight olympian and his big thing was that when tying never have our hands in resting in one position for more than a few seconds. If you in a collar tie dont sit in a collar tie for too long or the oppnent will use it against you. Every time I touch the guy it is for a purpose and it is to get him off balance, create an angle, and set up an attack.

If you are directly in front of an opponent in a tie up and you just try lower your level and shoot chances are he will see it coming and will be able to defend it. But if you are creating motion, moving his head, and creating an angle before attacking a leg your chances of getting in on a deep shot improve.

I would start with getting in your stance, staying light on your feet and moving in a circle. Once you feel comfortable moving in a circle start to move forward, now that you are circlign and moving forward backstep to get you imaginary opponet to come towards you. Once you get comfortable doing these motions add in some level changes, level changes help keep him off balance as its almost like a pump fake but when you do committ to a shot you need to make sure to level change first.

You can start to add in these motions while drilling with a partner. Get comfortable moving in different directions and moving your partner in different directions so that you have your angle before shooting.

A lot of these is still hard for me to communicate through writing so I apologize if it does not make sense. If it does make anysense I think starting out by increasing your motion and learning how to create angles before attacking is a good start.
    Thanks. I'll keep that in mind while I face Manhattan Torah Academy tomorrow and our dual meet on Wednesday.

We face Brick Memorial on Wednesday. You are familiar with them right? I'll do my best against their 140 and see how it turns out. And I'll be posting that video too. I'll let you know when I do.

I had a bad match against Secaucus the other day (I lost), if you would like to see that I'll show you the link too.
    "Every artist was first an amateur."
    "You miss 100% of shots you don't take."

Just remember your mind is a weapon. You can use it against yourself or you can use it against others. Wrestle hard, wrestler smart, and wrestler with a complete belief in yourself regardless of whether the guy has better technique or is "supposed" to win.

Just remember your mind is a weapon. You can use it against yourself or you can use it against others. Wrestle hard, wrestler smart, and wrestler with a complete belief in yourself regardless of whether the guy has better technique or is "supposed" to win.
    Wow, thanks! I like that philosophy of yours a lot! That is a really great mindset to wrestle with, and one I'll use too.

February 08, 08

• 5x5 Squats 110 pounds
    • 5x5 Bench Press 100 pounds
    • 5x5 Deadlifts 135 pounds
    • 5x5 Overhead Press 60 pounds
    • 5xQ Pull ups

Quote Originally Posted by Wrestling_Prodigy View Post
    February 08, 08

• 5x5 Squats 110 pounds
    • 5x5 Bench Press 100 pounds
    • 5x5 Deadlifts 135 pounds
    • 5x5 Overhead Press 60 pounds
    • 5xQ Pull ups
    Just trying to maintain strength at this point. But after the wrestling season I will be going back to real strength training.

Joe i was also from new jersey so I will keep an eye on you.

Most of all completely believe in yourself. Do not give any opponent respect. I do not mean that you should be cocky or not prepare for an opponent. What I mean is do not go into a match thinking the other guy should win because of past accomplishments, rankings, or critics predictions. Tell yourself that you are the best and that you will outwork your opponent.

Wrestling is a mental sport if you believe that you will win and you wrestle with that belief you will put yourself in the best possible position.
    I think every wrestler needs to learn this fully before they can get better in wrestling.