Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What should I work out on?

Default What should I work out on?

I am 130 pounds and 16 years old. I habe VERY low fat and I'm mostly muscle. I would say I am about 5'9 feet. I've been wrestling for 3 years since middle school and I'm pretty fond of the sport. This isn't counting last year when I couldn't wrestle due to injury of 2 broken bones. Right now I am a junior and I am joining wrestling yet again. I have big goals for this year planning to be the best that I can be and pushing myself to the limit. I'm aiming to be a state champion if not, at least a district champion. You might laugh at me but this is my goal and I'm going to try my best at it, succeed or fail isn't the matter; But it is the journey there that counts.

I need help from you guys in achieving this. I need to know exactly what exercises I should be doing on a regular basis, how many, how often, at what intensity, etc. Also, what should I be focusing on? I need you guys to set me a list of things I should do; and I will act accordingly.

Right now I am doing low reps with heavy weight trying to gain as much muscle bulk as I can. Which I know may not be the smartest decision for my conditioning. I am also working on my conditioning with mostly jogs. Should be focusing more on muscle endurance by bodyweight training? Should I do more sprints and less jogs?

Default Re: What should I work out on?

pull ups/situps/pushups
    rope climbs
    burpees
    bear crawls
    sprints
    kettlebell training (if you have access to them)
    Squats
    Lunges
    Good Mornings

Focus on fuctional strength training ala Grecowrestler's workout log
    "All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become."

You should definitly do bodyweight training, as I do it every day. Pullups, chinups, pushups, crunches, dips, pistols, etc. Nothing better than all that.
    TRAIN LIKE A MADMAN!

Also, what kind of conditioning training are you doing right now? For example: weights, kettlebell, resistance, odd lifting. What weight do you plan to wrestle at state?
    TRAIN LIKE A MADMAN!

Quote Originally Posted by grecowrestler13 View Post
    Also, what kind of conditioning training are you doing right now? For example: weights, kettlebell, resistance, odd lifting. What weight do you plan to wrestle at state?
    Just jogging. Is that a bad thing?

Should I stop focusing on gaining muscle bulk? And what is the difference between sprinting and jogging in terms of conditioning? Why sprint and not jog?

Why do bodyweight training and not focus on low reps with high weight?

Jogging is just fine. Every wrestler needs to run. The difference between sprinting and jogging is that by sprinting you are building up your anerobic endurance, while jogging builds up your aerobic endurance. Anerobic endurance applies more to wrestling than aerobic. That's why some people like to train their anerobic endurance more than their aerobic.

For you gaining bulk issue it depends on what weight you want to fully wrestle at this season. If you want to stay at 130 then you don't really need to gain any weight. Gaining bulk isn't bad as long as your doing it the right way. I'm not saying gaining muscle mass is bad, but you should be more worried with strength gains than muscle gains. Sure you will look completely huge and ripped by gaining bulk, but will you be strong at all. I'd rather not look musculer and be strong as hell instead of looking muscular and not being strong.

Bodyweight training is great because it's pretty much the only exercise method that gives you pure muscle endurance, which is greatly needed in wrestling so your muscles don't tire. You also get very strong by using calisthenics(It happened to me over the summer). All I pretty much did over the summer was bodyweight training. Of course I didn't gain as much muscle as I would from weights, but I got a hell of alot stronger. I'm not telling you to stop training with heavy weights, low reps as long as you include calisthenics in your workout routine. I weight train with heavy weight, low reps all the time.
    TRAIN LIKE A MADMAN!

Quote Originally Posted by grecowrestler13 View Post
    Jogging is just fine. Every wrestler needs to run. The difference between sprinting and jogging is that by sprinting you are building up your anerobic endurance, while jogging builds up your aerobic endurance. Anerobic endurance applies more to wrestling than aerobic. That's why some people like to train their anerobic endurance more than their aerobic.

For you gaining bulk issue it depends on what weight you want to fully wrestle at this season. If you want to stay at 130 then you don't really need to gain any weight. Gaining bulk isn't bad as long as your doing it the right way. I'm not saying gaining muscle mass is bad, but you should be more worried with strength gains than muscle gains. Sure you will look completely huge and ripped by gaining bulk, but will you be strong at all. I'd rather not look musculer and be strong as hell instead of looking muscular and not being strong.

Bodyweight training is great because it's pretty much the only exercise method that gives you pure muscle endurance, which is greatly needed in wrestling so your muscles don't tire. You also get very strong by using calisthenics(It happened to me over the summer). All I pretty much did over the summer was bodyweight training. Of course I didn't gain as much muscle as I would from weights, but I got a hell of alot stronger. I'm not telling you to stop training with heavy weights, low reps as long as you include calisthenics in your workout routine. I weight train with heavy weight, low reps all the time.
    Thanks a lot for being more detailed. I've did some research and I figured out there is so much out there that I don't know about training and that it isn't that simple as I thought it would be. I will do more research later but right now I'm cramped by a lot of homework.

Also I never knew strength gains and muscle gains were two different things! What is the difference? I thought that if you look more muscular you are generally more stronger.

Also, thanks for opening my eyes, there is so much about training I never thought would be so complex and diverse!

Got to do a lot of homework, bye!

Your girlfriend -have as much sex as you possibly can .

Quote Originally Posted by r.payton@att.net View Post
    Your girlfriend -have as much sex as you possibly can .
    Yes I will work hard banging my chick for the purpose of working out for wrestling.

I'll explain to her and start my hard rigorous daily workout.