Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What should I work out on?

Redshirt

Default Re: What should I work out on?

Quote Originally Posted by Wrestling_Prodigy View Post
    Also the strength that you would gain from machines doesn't translate as well in real life compared to strength from other ways of training such as bodyweight training or using barbells.
    im not saying its a good way of doing things
    im saying being able to add more weight isn't necessarily a good measure of how well the exercise works.

to add to the odd object lifting suggestion, there is nothing odder than lifting another human. get a partner and lift them, drills, etc. make a sandbag. lift and shoulder it.
    grip strength training. interval training. i use dumbells to snatch, clean, squat, dead lift, all the lifts you do with a barbell. but for time rather than reps. hill sprints, push,ups, hill sprints, push-ups, hill sprints, push-ups. your mental focus here should be to never give up. believe that you have worked harder than your opponent when you step on the mat and you deserve to win. visualize it first then do it.

remember that how an opponent "looks" all ripped and scary and shit. don't mean shit in the third period when he can't curl his bulky arms up to touch his nose.
    but then again, i may be retarded

I mentioned the 5x5 method to you Prodigy. I want to tell you about the 5,4,3,2,1 method now. It's just as good as the 5x5, maybe even better in some cases. A lot of powerlifters and strongmen use this method. Mariusz Pudzianowski uses this kinda method for weight training.

Here's how you do it. Basically you use it with weights. It's a total of 5 sets. But after each set, the weight gets heavier and the reps get lower. You increase the weight 10lbs every set. Start with your 5RM and you end with your 1RM. For example, here is a basic squat routine:

185x5 -195x4-205x3-215x2-225x1

Got it? You might want to try it out. Here's link: http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/95/
    TRAIN LIKE A MADMAN!

Quote Originally Posted by grecowrestler13 View Post
    I mentioned the 5x5 method to you Prodigy. I want to tell you about the 5,4,3,2,1 method now. It's just as good as the 5x5, maybe even better in some cases. A lot of powerlifters and strongmen use this method. Mariusz Pudzianowski uses this kinda method for weight training.

Here's how you do it. Basically you use it with weights. It's a total of 5 sets. But after each set, the weight gets heavier and the reps get lower. You increase the weight 10lbs every set. Start with your 5RM and you end with your 1RM. For example, here is a basic squat routine:

Got it? You might want to try it out. Here's link: http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/95/
    Ohh.. thanks, I'll try it out.
    "Every artist was first an amateur."
    "You miss 100% of shots you don't take."

Redshirt

Quote Originally Posted by Wrestling_Prodigy View Post
    Also the strength that you would gain from machines doesn't translate as well in real life compared to strength from other ways of training such as bodyweight training or using barbells.
    i took what i believe from a website, cause they say it better

Training with dumbbells allows you to select resistance training exercises based on their similarity to actual movements that occurs during sports. Dumbbells require more balance than training with barbells or machines, and balance is crucial for optimal performance. Dumbbells also require more muscular control than barbells, thus enhancing kinesthetic awareness. The best part of training with dumbbells is it allows the athlete to train through a greater range of motion than do barbells on some exercises. Understand that it is sometimes more valuable to trade heavy weights (Barbells) for more sport-specific movements.

Quote Originally Posted by grecowrestler13 View Post

i don't believe the idea that "because power lifters lift this way," wrestlers should lift this way.

power lifters have to lift the weight, once and it may be twice or even three times as heavy as their body weight.

in wrestling, you never lift more that your weight+opponents body weight. and you have to do it for 6/7 minutes straight. Wrestling strength is very different from power lifter strength

Quote Originally Posted by mir20052 View Post
    i don't believe the idea that "because power lifters lift this way," wrestlers should lift this way.

power lifters have to lift the weight, once and it may be twice or even three times as heavy as their body weight.

in wrestling, you never lift more that your weight+opponents body weight. and you have to do it for 6/7 minutes straight. Wrestling strength is very different from power lifter strength
    I like your point. In theory it sounds right. But the point is that the exercise is just to make you stronger in general. Your talking about endurance.

Am I correct?
    "Every artist was first an amateur."
    "You miss 100% of shots you don't take."

He is talking about endurance, mainly muscle endurance. The difference between wrestler strength and powerlifter strength is mainly muscle endurance. All they do is lift like 4x their Bw and they are finished. That requires pure, absolute strength. Wrestlers need to be able to lift and pummel with their same BW as many times as possible during a match. For example: If you wrestled greco, you would try as many times as possible to get that reverse lift or suplex on your opponent. Say you get like 5 attempts to reverse lift your opponent; your gonna need a lot of energy in those muscle to lift and throw him all 5 times. Of course your arms and legs are going to get tired, but you can minimize that fatigue by doing certain exercises for those bodyparts; mainly calisthenics of course. You can train to failure or to near failure. I like to train to near failure, so I don't completley tire out my muscles.

I remember last year when I was pretty much stronger than all of my opponents, but that didn't last to long because Ihad poor endurance. My muscles would fatique in just a minute or so and my lungs would be on fire. But as the year and summer went on, I learned new things about my body and how it works and what type of training methods targeted each problem I had. I knew running, sprints, and jump rope would help my aerobic and anerobic endurance. BW training would help my muscle endurance and strength. Weights would help my overall strength. And kettlebells would pretty much be a mix of calisthenics and weights. Once I added all these components together over the summer, I came back and wrestled a match with a varsity member who was stronger and better than me last year and beat badly every time. The results? I beat him this time. I was so surprised how my overall condition improved over the summer. Not only was I alot stronger than him, but my endurance improved so much also.
    TRAIN LIKE A MADMAN!

Do some handstand pushups against the wall. If you don't know how to do them ask your coach to tell you. First start against the wall then build up to do them without the wall. Do them on the wrestling mat. They are great for building strenght, speed and core strenght.