Thread: Results from Maximal Strength program - Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength

Default Results from Maximal Strength program - Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength

After roughly 1.75 months of doing Mark Rippetoe's starting strength, I will post my overall results.

Before)
    5RM Back Squat: 115lb
    1RM Flat Bench: 140lb
    1RM Deadlift: 225lb
    1RM Standing Military Press: 115lb
    1RM Powerclean: 140lb

After)
    5RM Back Squat: 205lb
    1RM Flat Bench: 180lb
    1RM Deadlift: 285lb
    1RM Standing Military Press: 135lb
    1RM Powerclean: 180lb

Overall:
    +28.57% Flat Bench
    +26.60% Deadlift
    +17.39% Standing Military Press
    +28.57% Powerclean

The biggest increase:
    +78.26% Back Squat using 5RM data ALONE

I've finished this program about 2-3 months earlier but have been too busy to post. I remained inactive for about 1.5 months and still found that I can Deadlift/Military Press/Squat the same amount. The Bench/Powerclean 1RM has been lowered by a good 10-15lbs, however, it can be said that I've still gained a permanent +20% increase in those areas.

As for mat efficiency, I feel naturally stronger and surprisingly, I don't fatigue anymore then I used to. I've noticed more muscle mass, but not to the point where it bogs me down. It's actually very subtle.

Weight wise...

Before) 125.5lb
    After) 128lb

I'm a little bit heavier, but a lot stronger. Would I recommend this program? Hell yes. It's a great introduction into efficient weight lifting, and for the more experienced lifters it is a great maximal strength program despite what the name (Starting Strength) suggest.

WARNING THOUGH: Be careful with the technique. I recommend having a coach experienced enough in heavy lifting to help you not hurt yourself. I did not have anyone to work with except my brother, so we used an empty Olympic Bar to work on technique while gradually adding weight. We filmed ourselves lifting, studied it, and made changes until our technique was near perfect. We did this for about a week before we got started with the program. The heavy lifting DID strain my already injured neck, however, my Doctor told me that it was inevitable, any exercise pertaining to the neck would have hurt me at that point.

Well, that's an in depth analysis. I'll be starting an endurance block next. I'll keep posted ;P

Unregistered

Default Re: Results from Maximal Strength program - Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength

dang!!!!! ur crazy! im also a wrestler at 125 and do starting strength. im not done it yet but right now my maxes are
    bench: 175 lb
    squat: 195lb x 5
    deadlift: 245lb x 5
    milatary press: 120lb x 5
    i dont do power cleans cuz my gym is full of bodybuilders who stare at you if you do something that actually gets you stronger so i do hammer strength iso- lateral rows on the machines with 2 platesand a 35 on each side for max.
    ur so lucky u can power clean lol. i cant believe you can do a 180 lb power clean!

Default Re: Results from Maximal Strength program - Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength

dude u got so strong i wrestle 125 and i do starting strength and right now my maxes are
    175 for bench
    195 x5 for squat
    245 x5 for deadlift
    105 x5 military and i dont do power cleans cuz my gym is full of faggot bodybuilders who stare at u if u do something that gets you strong.

Dude that's pretty good, by the end of it you're going to be a beast strength wise. Who cares what wannabe bodybuilders think, my gym is pretty much the same. Though, if you don't want to do powercleans, the program suggest replacing it with bent over rows.