Thread: Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength

Default Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength

What is your opinion, from a wrestler's perspective, on Rippetoe's Starting Strength? For those not in the know, the program is as follows:

Workout Schedule:
    2 workouts, A and B
    Performed every other day in intervals

EX:
    Monday- Workout A
    Wendsday- Workout B
    Friday- Workout A
    Monday- Workout B
    Wendsday- Workout A
    etc.

The Workouts:
    Workout A
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Flat Bench Press
    1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Standing Military Press
    3x5 Powercleans/Rows

Rippetoe claims that the average client gains 20-40 pounds while doing this program. I have no idea if this claim is true, but I highly doubt I'll gain that much weight in the alloted time.

Now my question is: Would you recommend this program for a wrestler in the offseason? I've browsed some threads containing questions about strength training and what I've got from it was that kettlebells, olympic lifts, and bodyweight training are the best route. Rippetoe's Starting Strength program is based on 3-4 major resistance exercises rather then the traditional wrestling orientations.

How much is "too much" muscle? By gaining massive lean muscle, will you restrict your oxygen intake? How will it affect your wrestling?

My goal is to gain lean muscle and, more importantly, strength. I've never really been on an actual strength program for longer then 3 months, and I alway (as far as I can remember) tend to neglect my lower body. Rippetoe's program promises strenght through squats and whatnot. The problem is I have no idea wether it will be detrimental to wrestling or not. I know that specific sports training is a huge misconception but I still want an experienced opinion about this program. I'm looking to gain 8-15 pounds.

My final year is coming up and I want to be the strongest, most conditioned wrestler I can be (of coyrse I won't neglect technique).

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by pinknikes; 03-01-2010 at 08:21 PM.

Default Re: Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength

1) There are no ABS, dips, pullups/chinups, or rows on the starting strength program.
    2) Power cleans are done 5x3 (not 3x5 like squats/bench/etc) in workout B
    3) The program will get you stronger, how much stronger and how much weight you'll gain will depend on how much you eat. If you need to get stronger to be better at wrestling then this is a great off-season program.
    4) Even if you aren't going to follow the program, read the book anyway, the exercise instruction if phenomenal.
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

In reference to your question about squats, yes they do help you get stronger, there is a lot of deadlifting, squatting, and lunging type motions in wrestling.

Ex:
    Squat; when you lift an opponent when you're in on a double leg, raising a leg when you have a single
    Lunge: Any kind of shooting motion
    Deadlift: Whenever you arch your back, attempt to throw someone, return an opponent to the mat, when you throw hips at opponents when they shoot.

Some movements are also a combination of the three like a reverse lift in freestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by FloggingSully View Post
    1) There are no ABS, dips, pullups/chinups, or rows on the starting strength program.
    2) Power cleans are done 5x3 (not 3x5 like squats/bench/etc) in workout B
    3) The program will get you stronger, how much stronger and how much weight you'll gain will depend on how much you eat. If you need to get stronger to be better at wrestling then this is a great off-season program.
    4) Even if you aren't going to follow the program, read the book anyway, the exercise instruction if phenomenal.
    Oh yea, you'r right. I initially got the workout from a forum (copy n paste). I just got the book so I'll be in the right direction. Thanks!
    Last edited by pinknikes; 03-01-2010 at 08:21 PM.