Thread: Practicing/Learning Wrestling Technique

Default Practicing/Learning Wrestling Technique

whats a good way to learn wrestling technique? do you just learn as many as you can and see which ones work for you? what should i do before practice and after practice, are there any self drills that are good with imrpoving not just my technique, but my speed, stance, etc?

Default Re: Practicing/Learning Wrestling Technique

Don't focus on like 100 moves in one day. Focus on like 3-5 moves or few moves a day and drill them for hours a time. Learn to hit those moves from different positions, different speeds, different angles, and stuff like that. First drill those certain moves for about 45-60 minutes at different speeds( high intensity drilling and relaxed, slow drilling). Take it slow, don't rush through them. Get a feel for the moves. You must master the moves first before you can actually try them in a live match. Next, do some live wrestling after the drilling session. While your wrestling live with your partner only focus about hitting those certain moves you have been drilling. Throughout the match, try as many times to hit those moves on him. Try hitting them at different speeds and positions. If your successful with hitting the moves on your partner then great, just don't forget about those moves and move on to something else. Continue to drill those same moves for many, many days no matter how good you are at it. Remember, you can never be too good at a certain move and that you can all of a sudden quit drilling it for a long time. You always must continue to drill and learn that move. Now if you are not succesfull at hitting the moves on your partner just train with them more and more until you can hit them in a live match. Now remember, don't focus on like 100 moves a day, focus on like very few. No more than 3-5. The longer you continue to spend on those moves, the better you will get. That's why the Russians are so good. They spend hours a day on a couple of moves trying to perfect them.
    Last edited by grecowrestler13; 09-11-2008 at 09:08 PM.
    TRAIN LIKE A MADMAN!

Great post!
    Be like water my friend...

Could you e-mail the above post to USA wrestling. Great post Greco!!!
    "All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become."

Thanks guys! I put a lot of thought and work into that post.
    TRAIN LIKE A MADMAN!

Quote Originally Posted by gjfovf View Post
    Could you e-mail the above post to USA wrestling. Great post Greco!!!
    Thanks. I'll see what I can do about emailing the post.
    TRAIN LIKE A MADMAN!

Also, I got some ideas for what you can do after and before wrestling. Usually what I'll do is get my conditioning session over with before I wrestle. After my conditioning session I'll take a 1-2 hour break before I start my wrestling. I'll usually workout for 1.5-2 hours and that's not including my run. I run for about 30-60 mins then take an 1.-1.5 hour break. If I decide to not condition that day then I'll just run and probaly play soccer or rugby for 20min. And for what I might do after wrestling ? I'll just end my day. I'll be completly exhausted after my wrestling. No more room for anything else. So basically, if you are going to wrestle and condition on the same day, I would get my conditioning over with first then wrestle. That's just my opinion though; do what you want.
    Last edited by grecowrestler13; 09-12-2008 at 08:21 PM.
    TRAIN LIKE A MADMAN!