Thread: Kettlebell Workouts?

Default Kettlebell Workouts?

I hear from everyone that kettlebells are a huge part of gaining strength and getting a stronger grip. I am new to strength training and would appreciate it if someone could give me a few good workouts.

Default Re: Kettlebell Workouts?

A few questions.. Have you ever trained w/ kettlebells? If not, do you know anyone that is CERTIFIED to teach you? The only real certifications are IKFF, AKC, RKC, and MKC. I am certified by IKFF and MKC. They are not like dumbells, and you have to be trained to use them properly or you can really put your body at serious risk.
    Also, you should investigate clubbells. I have been training with kettlebells for many years, and have basically abandoned traditional linear weight training. I still do dead lifts, power cleans, and clean and jerks w/ barbells, but that is it. You also have to incorporate a serious joint mobility program into your warmup and cool down.
    Kettlebell training is a great way to build up strength, mental and physical endurance, explosive power, and flexibility. Enough with the sermon.

Start with only 1 Bell. Double bells are for more experienced people. Learn how to do the basics: SWINGS, CLEANS, and TURKISH GET UPS. Once you learn those 3 exercises, you can go into more like clena and front squat, clean and press, snatch, over head squats, figure 8s, gunslingers, halos, double kettlebell exercises etc....
    Check out Steve Cotter, Ken Blackburn, Steve Maxwell, or Scott Sonnen on youtube. Please, I must reiterate..
    GET SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING TO TRAIN YOU!! SOMEONE WHO IS PREFERABLY CERTIFIED, NOT YOUTUBE TRAINED!!!
    "All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become."

Quote Originally Posted by gjfovf View Post
    A few questions.. Have you ever trained w/ kettlebells? If not, do you know anyone that is CERTIFIED to teach you? The only real certifications are IKFF, AKC, RKC, and MKC. I am certified by IKFF and MKC. They are not like dumbells, and you have to be trained to use them properly or you can really put your body at serious risk.
    Also, you should investigate clubbells. I have been training with kettlebells for many years, and have basically abandoned traditional linear weight training. I still do dead lifts, power cleans, and clean and jerks w/ barbells, but that is it. You also have to incorporate a serious joint mobility program into your warmup and cool down.
    Kettlebell training is a great way to build up strength, mental and physical endurance, explosive power, and flexibility. Enough with the sermon.

Start with only 1 Bell. Double bells are for more experienced people. Learn how to do the basics: SWINGS, CLEANS, and TURKISH GET UPS. Once you learn those 3 exercises, you can go into more like clena and front squat, clean and press, snatch, over head squats, figure 8s, gunslingers, halos, double kettlebell exercises etc....
    Check out Steve Cotter, Ken Blackburn, Steve Maxwell, or Scott Sonnen on youtube. Please, I must reiterate..
    GET SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING TO TRAIN YOU!! SOMEONE WHO IS PREFERABLY CERTIFIED, NOT YOUTUBE TRAINED!!!
    I am mostly new to kettlebells. The only real workouts I have done are with my wrestling club. Ive done military press, squats, ect...(nothing too complicated) I am a member at Gold's Gym but im not sure if i can just ask someone to teach me to use kettlebells. What are some joint mobility warmups/cooldowns that you suggest? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

You should start with the kettlebell swing. Don't bother at your gym. Find someone at your wrestling club to help you. If you have access to them there, chances are somebody has some knowlege. Steve Cotter and Ken Blackburn are 2 of the best in the business. Check out the IKFF channel on youtube. Swings are the basis for most kettlebell movements (cleans, hi pulls, snatches all begin with the swing). It is also a killer endurance, strength, grip strength and mentally challenging movement. Below is the link for joint mobility warmup. You may think that it is a waste of time, but believe me, it is essential for your joint health and flexibility.

http://www.youtube.com/user/IKFFChan...12/gb6alw-gBIg
    "All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become."

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.