Thread: Track and Wrestling

Default Track and Wrestling

So this is my second year wrestling and im thinking of doing track for the 1st time this year. Im obsessed with getting my cardio up b/c my freshmen year, i gassed alot and it is just miserable. so for track, what distance represents wrestling the most. Also for wrestling should i take protein after, i dont want to gain weight b/c im alrdy 2 pounds over so.
    400m
    800m
    1600m

Default Re: Track and Wrestling

well i do the 100m for explosiveness and ive done the 400 800 and mile for stamina basicly its wat u are targeting

wrestling is about intermittent effort (aka youre not going 100% the whole time). its important that any accessory training you do reflects that. in that sesne, intervals are a better way of representing a match than just picking a certain distance and running it as fast as possible. also switching up interval lengths helps since not all matches are the same.

that being said, 100m is helpful for developing power, given that you allow full rest between each sprint. for explosive, even a shorter length would be optimal, but im not aware of any track meet events that run shorter than 100m. long distance (upwards of a mile or more) runs are good for developing strong cardiac output and a low resting heart rate, two really important traits for any type of athlete.

Round of 12

Great idea!

Boxers are runners with hands, wrestlers are runners with ground skills. IMHO there's too much emphasis on single sport competition and too much on "conditioning" for that sport (which usually means lifting). Running is perfect for getting you to and maintaining your ideal competition weight.

Round of 12

Great idea!

Boxers are runners with hands, wrestlers are runners with ground skills. IMHO there's too much emphasis on single sport competition and too much on "conditioning" for that sport (which usually means lifting). Running is perfect for getting you to and maintaining your ideal competition weight.

Cross country in the fall wouldn't hurt either.

Not only will it help your cardio, it will help your mental toughness.