Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am looking to gain strength though not much size, feel free to constructively criticize

Default I am looking to gain strength though not much size, feel free to constructively criticize

I am a freshman in high school. I am looking to gain strength without adding much size. I took a couple ideas from Joe DeFranco's "WS4SB". Any suggestions on things such reps per set, rest times and perhaps more wrestling-specific exercises?
    Upper Body

Bench Press 5-4-3-2-1
    Power Clean 5-4-3-2-1
    Chin-ups 3 sets to failiure

Barbell Rows 3x6
    Rear Delt flyes 3x8-12
    Barbell Shrugs 3x10
    Zottmann Curls 4x8
    Skullcrushers 8,6,4,2,1

Lower Body

Parallel Squat 5-4-3-2-1
    Hang Clean 5-4-3-2-1
    Front Squat 5x5
    Romanian Deadlift 3x6-8
    Reverse Lunge 3x10
    Sit ups w/ a plate

Upper Body
    Incline Bench 8,6,4,2,1
    Alternating Dumbell Curl 3x8
    Tricep extensions 3x10

Circuit
    Plate rows, military presses to medball push ups and twists
    5x16,15,14,13,12

Explosive training

Box Jumps 5-8 of 3-5
    Triple Box Jumps 10times
    Over across over (I jump over 6in platforms, over one across one over the other)

Kettlebells
    Swing and Squat
    Swing Squat and Press
    Reverse Lunge snatch
    Rotations
    3x20

Medicine Balls
    Dunks
    Side throws

3x12,14,16

Default Re: I am looking to gain strength though not much size, feel free to constructively criticize

This looks like a great program. I have found that long cycle double kettlebell clean and jerk and double kettlebell snatch have helped the wrestlers that I train tremendously. Another thing I like to do is set your workout up like it is a match. 7 minutes with no rest. I find that training for time works wonders for endurance. Heavy days I do reps and sets. Good luck. This is a very comprehensive program. Nice job.
    "All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become."

Default Re: I am looking to gain strength though not much size, feel free to constructively criticize

Thanks alot. I'll be looking to put those ideas in my program.

How is the program broken up? you aren't doing all of this in one day are you?

I'd lose all the flys, shrugs, curls and other isolation stuff.
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

I take every other day off.

Flexibility and joint mobility? You need to incorporate that as well.
    "All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become."

Redshirt

very nice quote from the bible!

not many people realize how much everyday use you can get out of that book!

Quote Originally Posted by ColonialForge94 View Post
    I take every other day off.
    So you're doing everything you listed on your non-off days?
    That seems excessive.
    There's no such thing as a pretty good aligator wrestler.

Noo, one day I do the first upper body wokrout, day off, next day I do the lower body workout, day off other upper body workout, day off, then explosive training.
    Then repeat next week.