Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I am looking to gain strength though not much size, feel free to constructively criticize

Default Re: I am looking to gain strength though not much size, feel free to constructively criticize

Quote Originally Posted by gjfovf View Post
    Flexibility and joint mobility? You need to incorporate that as well.
    I stretch after my workouts. I have pretty good flexibility, I can touch my head to my ankles, when I do butterfly stretches

Default Re: I am looking to gain strength though not much size, feel free to constructively criticize

you have to prepare your body to to lift with joint mobility exercises.
    Steve Cotter is one the premier kettlebell lifters and teachers on the planet. I have had the good fortune of training with he and Ken Blackburn. This is a routine that you should get in the habit of doing PRIOR to lifting or working out. It takes only a few minutes.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb6alw-gBIg
    "All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become."

Quote Originally Posted by gjfovf View Post
    Flexibility and joint mobility? You need to incorporate that as well.
    What would you recommend for these?

Head to your ankles? Wow, very good if that is really the case.

One technique I use to increase strength is changing my routine, (& people I train), every 2-3 weeks or so. Muscles get used to a particular pattern so I switch up exercises for the same muscle groups to avoid hitting a plateau. Sometimes I incorporate yoga/pilates excerises in the routine, (lots of NFL players are using this to improve the strength of their CORE muscles).

I also break down upper body into "pushing" exercises, (chest shoulders triceps) & "pulling" exercises, (Back & biceps). Then sometimes I mix those exercises up 2-3 weeks later. Experiment to see what works the best for you.

I go back & forth between this:

Chest/Back/Legs/rest (repeat)
    or
    Chest/legs/back/legs/rest (repeat)

Remember that your routine could be great but a workout actually is designed to destroy/rip apart muscle fiber by making the muscle do more then it is capable of doing. You need to have something the body can then use to rebuild the muscle tissue, namely essential amino acids, (proteins). If you don't you have wasted your time working out.

Also after a work out the muscle tissue is flooded with lactic acid which is a form of waste. The body needs to be properly hydrated in order to eliminate that waste. Lactic acid is what creates that muscle soreness the day after your work out. Also cardio at the end of the routine helps to burn some of the lactic acid. I prefer swimming for 30 minutes, no stress on the joints.

Also your body does most of the repairs while you sleep. You have a young body so it is also essential you get 8 hours of solid sleep per night. If you have trouble relaxing a calcium-magnesium drink 30 minutes before bed will relax the entire body & give it extra minerals needed.

Without proper nutrition, rest AND hydration you work out routine becomes irrelevant.

Good luck.

size can be worked around by eating only a little more than maintenance level calories, and ditching your excess hypertrophy and isolation work (ex: curls). i agree with the mobility work, especially for wrestling.

ws4sb is a good program, for certain, but remember - it was designed for skinny bastards that wanna put on size (in addition to their athleticism), thus all the accessory work in the program. making sure you eat less will, of course, be the key to whether or not you put on more weight than you want. that being said, when you're eating less, you want to keep your isolation work volume as low as possible, and pay as much attention as you can to your compound movements.