Thread: Pushups

Default Pushups

Hey guys,

I'm trying to increase the number of pushups I can do in one go (without stopping). Any tips beyond "do lots of pushups"?

thanks!

Default Re: Pushups

Consistency is definetley key but you have to mix up your pushup variations. Doing standard military pushups everytime you workout is not efficient for your goal because eventually your body is going to plateau and its going to stop adapting to that exercise so look up different pushup variations and also other bodyweight exercises such as the dip. Bench pressing every now and then will help you also just choose a high rep range with lower weight like 10-12 reps.

I actually had some success with this like two or three years ago, when I decided (kind of like it sounds like you have) that I just wanted to be able to do a lot of push ups.

I would do sets of 25 (usually two or three) and then finish up with a set to failure.

Started out in the low 40's, wound up topping out at 77.

I know and apologize for the fact that this isn't much advice other than "do lots of push ups"...

Quote Originally Posted by HighCrotcheR View Post
    Consistency is definetley key but you have to mix up your pushup variations. Doing standard military pushups everytime you workout is not efficient for your goal because eventually your body is going to plateau and its going to stop adapting to that exercise so look up different pushup variations and also other bodyweight exercises such as the dip. Bench pressing every now and then will help you also just choose a high rep range with lower weight like 10-12 reps.
    I agree! You have to change up your variations like doing diamonds,wide,your feet elevated etc...

log your reps and always build on your numbers. also breath correctly. get a set of perfect pushups and do all the sets religiously, i did that when rehabing a torn biceps tendon. i wanted to concentrate on bodyweight exercises for awhile to get back to form and they helped alot. also do hindu pushups, they will increase your overall endurance for regular pushups, i think.
    but then again, i may be retarded

tabata pushups