Thread: suggested workout, drills, weigtlifting for high school wrestling

Default suggested workout, drills, weigtlifting for high school wrestling

Hi,
    I've never done wrestling before and am a junior in high school. I'm skinny for my height (6 feet) at only 150lbs. I want to make the wrestling team this winter and am looking for any suggestion anyone has for workouts or weight lifting routines for wrestling. I already do boxing, but train more for endurance and speed as opposed to strength in it. Also, if you have any suggestions for drills i can do myself as i kno no one who wrestles and there are no wrestling clubs in my area.
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Default Re: suggested workout, drills, weigtlifting for high school wrestling

Look into training full body routines or upper body/lowerbody programs, those are usually the ones most sports specific to wrestling. Always when you're in the gym, think of training movements and not muscle groups. Dont do any bodybuilding splits. Proven programs for beginners would be the Mark Rippetoes 5x5 or the Westside Skinny Bastards when alot of people seem to give positive feedback about especially for someone with your ectomorph build