Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrestling heavier guys

Hybrid View

Default Wrestling heavier guys

ok, first day of preseason workouts, i did go to some b4 though, and not many people showed up. I am wrestling 138 but i weighed in at 143, but i ended up wrestling my friend that weighed in 160. So it was basicly a 20 pound diference which i know is big, but i have been working on my shots and would get in very deep, get his hip to the floor, but after a few seconds up us being there he would be able to pull me over his body and get ontop then flaten me out. So i know that 20 pounds matter, but i should still be able to stop him from doing this because it wasnt a technique it was just strenth. My coach told me i needed to work on my hips ( i assume he means hip pressure), any suggesions/do you know what he might be talking about?

National Finalist FalconWrestlingKY's Avatar

Default Re: Wrestling heavier guys

I think I have a general idea of what you're describing, but could you describe it again? I am a 125 who had to bump up to 130 my senior year and even just 5 pounds makes a huge difference.
    "I looked up at the scoreboard and I was like, I can't do math that fast!" - Ed Ruth

it was sort of weird. i would shoot a double leg, get it pretty good and he would end up on his hip and elbow. Then i would b working on throwing the turk, but after being in that position for a couple seconds he would reach over my back with his far side arm and grab around my lower back, then he just seemed to be able to pull me over his body and i would end up in his short offense. my coach said somthing about more hips, but i didnt know what. i hope that is a better description

Is your hip going to the mat as well as his?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flop The Nuts View Post
    [D]on't let lack of knowledge impact your ability to post as if you are knowledgeable.

umm i dont think it evr touched, it was always a little off the matt so that i could use my top leg to wrap around his bottom for the turk

National Finalist FalconWrestlingKY's Avatar

Sounds pretty much like something you wouldn't see wrestling guys your weight, but I might be missing something
    "I looked up at the scoreboard and I was like, I can't do math that fast!" - Ed Ruth

feeling it it seemed like it wouldnt happen to my weight, but i should still be able to stop it i feel. I like wrestling bigger stronger guys because she can capitalize on any little mistake u make a lot easy, if that makes sense. i was just hoping some1 would have advice but its all good. Thanks guys.

When wrestling bigger guys, try to use techniques where you can finish quickly and without having your opponent's weight on you. This could include most upper body techniques, throws, knee and ankle picks, blast doubles, and so on.

I'm not sure how to picture this, but what I am visioning is you with a single or double. Your head in his belly button or hip. Is that right? If so, I am guessing that you are on your knees instead of your toes. If you are on your toes, I don't see how he could just roll you over, no matter how much bigger he is.