Thread: Lettering Varsity

Thumbs Up! Lettering Varsity

Hi I'm a sophomore wrestling JV 125's at my highschool. My dilema is that I am nine points (three wins away) from lettering Varsity because I wrestled at some Varsity tournaments and did well. Anyway, the last varsity tournament is on the day of my Academic Decathalon. My coach and parents would rather I go to Aca Deca instead, and I already commited to it. I challenged my varsity guy, but lost. I am just wondering, should I really be stressing over lettering varsity? And will it reflect my record if I lettered two years instead of three? Thanks ahead for any advice, I am feeling like the unluckiest person in the world right now...

Default Re: Lettering Varsity

Whenever you have a choice between academics and sports, academics should (almost always) come first. That's why you are in school - wrestling is an extracurricular activity. Academic Decathalon will look great on your record, and so will two varsity letters. Rather than the unluckiest person in the world, you should consider yourself very lucky to have this choice. Many people would love to have either opportunity, and you are talented enought to excel in sports and academics. I have a lot of respect for a successful student-athlete like yourself.
    Atrophy: what you get when you win atournament.

I agree with Spider. As a coach myself I would tell you to go to the decathlon. Especially since you already committed to it and you lost your challenge match. You don't want to break your committment, you would be letting a lot of people down if you did.

An additional thought, can you as a JV wrestler still compete in the post season (in Washington we get to enter two wrestlers per weight into districts). If so can you letter with some wins in the post season? You chances to letter may not be over with this tournament.

Either way however I would still put school first. You are a Student Athlete.

This is a little bit off the topic, but i was wondering would the criteria for lettering varsity is on certain teams. On my team you simply have to wrestle 6 matches which is not at all difficult. But on other teams i have heard that you need to score at least 100 individual points. What exactly is the criteria for other teams?

Quote Originally Posted by tigerbomb56 View Post
    This is a little bit off the topic, but i was wondering would the criteria for lettering varsity is on certain teams. On my team you simply have to wrestle 6 matches which is not at all difficult. But on other teams i have heard that you need to score at least 100 individual points. What exactly is the criteria for other teams?
    Ours is simple: win a varsity match. Some relaxes standards here.
    Wrestling: Shoot first, ask questions later.

18 team points excluding forfeits
    Life's not the breaths you take, the breathing in and out that gets you through the day ain't what it's all about. It's the moments that take your breath away.

As someone who has coached wrestling,academic decathalon, and academic pentathelon, I would say fulfill your committment to the academic decathalon team. It will not hurt your academic resume at all to be successful in both areas. Besides, college coaches will be looking at what kind of a wrestler you are as a senior - not how many letters you won. The academic success will make you all the more attractive when scholarship money is being passed out!

R.I.P. Cyrano and Roxanne.

I think in pa, you need to wrestle a third of matches on varsity to letter.

Thank you everybody for the advice. I really appreciate it.